The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

No man can serve two masters

awkwardgenius

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jul 28, 2012
Southern California
I've been trying to get something going for myself for many months now, and I'm realizing it's not going to happen in my spare time. I've been trained in how to acquire businesses from beginning to end, from identifying good businesses for sale to due diligence, financing, negotiation, and closing. I have a substantial network of very experienced and knowledgeable contacts and advisors, and every resource I need to successfully acquire a going business with $5-10mm in sales...

...except the time in which to do it.

Working the night shift and commuting two hours every day is not compatible with this plan. I've tried and tried, and I simply cannot get any traction half-assing this. I can't hold business meetings or make calls to business owners and sellers in the middle of the night, and buying a business is a psychological and emotional process even more than a financial one...if you can't establish some sort of rapport with the seller, you're sunk.

I'm sure there are fastlane plans that I could work on at night in my down time or in the few free hours I find on my days off, but my dreams are too big to be doing drop-shipping or internet marketing or web design as a one-man-show.

If I could ditch the night job and live in my car, hustle my a$$ off, and make it happen, I would have done so long ago...but there's a wife and a 1yr old son waiting for me at home, so I'm responsible for more lives than just my own.

So here's my fastlane plan...find someone willing to finance the process over the next 6-12 mo @ $30-60k, which will entitle them to 5-10% equity interest in the acquired company. This means a $30-60k investment would net a $250-500k equity return (cash-out will be negotiable post-acquisition). Not too shabby, I don't think. There's someone out there who would be willing to bite...I just need to keep knocking on doors.

Once I have my partner/investor, I'll ditch the golden handcuffs and devote 100% of my time and energy to completing that acquisition. I'll do all of the prospecting, research, fundraising, and negotiation. I'll secure the legal help and everything else needed to complete the deal. My advisors, mentors, and management team partners provide a wide breadth of experience and track records to draw upon, and I've really got everything I need to succeed.

While partners from this forum would obviously be welcome, I am really just posting this as "my goal, my fastlane plan". I'm stating this plan, I'm making myself accountable for it, and I'm going to find the partner I need to make it happen. Let's do this.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
Your sales pitch sounds like on Shark Tank where they go, "So you have no sales, but you're valuing your company at $600,000?!" Sorry, that's what it reminded me of.

Have you actually done anything yet to make people want to invest, or you just saying "invest in this with a promise I will work hard and it will all work?"

Can you do something part time that brings in a little cash flow until your company gets off the ground, or maybe switch when/where you are working? Good luck either way!

awkwardgenius

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jul 28, 2012
Southern California
Your sales pitch sounds like on Shark Tank where they go, "So you have no sales, but you're valuing your company at $600,000?!" Sorry, that's what it reminded me of.

Not exactly...this isn't venture capital, I'm looking for seed money from an angel. Nope, there's no revenue, no valuation...just "I need x to get this process off the ground". I harbor no delusions about valuations and the like here. This is a higher-risk investment for a fairly substantial return. I'm not pitching this as $x buys you y% of some imaginary valuation, but rather as "if this all goes as planned, you'll get y%" Also, forgot to mention, if the acquired company falls short of the $5mm sales size, the equity percentage would be adjusted upward accordingly.

Have you actually done anything yet to make people want to invest, or you just saying "invest in this with a promise I will work hard and it will all work?"

I've invested the time and effort to learn how this process works, and I have people with significant experience and track records backing me. People who have completed acquisitions, and who have grown companies. People who are already successful who stand behind me and will be partners in the acquisition.

Can you do something part time that brings in a little cash flow until your company gets off the ground, or maybe switch when/where you are working?

I've looked into and tried that, and it's all very very slowlane (trying to build up a separate part time business takes away from my acquisition efforts), and is just about as risky as any other startup. This path would get me started on the path very quickly, and while the actual acquisition would still be quite the process (as would building the business once acquired), this helps me get into the fastlane to my goal now as opposed to a year or more from now (which is how long it'd take to save up slowly, build a side business, and I'd still be taking the startup risk that it doesn't even gain traction).

Good luck either way!

Thanks! Luck is when preparation meets opportunity. I'm gonna go find that opportunity. I'm definitely prepared.

Mrs. BRKb

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Apr 27, 2008
USA
Even if you aren't looking for VC money, you may still find this Stanford biz school search fund playlist ("[SGSB] Search Funds"; 14 videos) of interest. Business acquisition can be an exhausting endeavor. These guys share lots of their experiences- the good, bad, and the ugly... all great stuff to know.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

awkwardgenius

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jul 28, 2012
Southern California
Even if you aren't looking for VC money, you may still find this Stanford biz school search fund playlist ("[SGSB] Search Funds"; 14 videos) of interest. Business acquisition can be an exhausting endeavor. These guys share lots of their experiences- the good, bad, and the ugly... all great stuff to know.

Thanks! I'm very familiar with the process, which is why I say there's no way I can accomplish anything substantial in that area working part time (weird hours at that!). It's certainly a very involved process. That said, I enjoy hearing a variety of views on the subject because of that complexity. M&A isn't for the faint of heart. I will give these a watch for sure. Thanks again.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.