The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Niche Job Board - Best ways to market?

Marketing, social media, advertising

fsutemplar

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 16, 2013
Ok, I've just set up a niche job board for remote/telecommuting jobs. I need to market the site to recruiters (who will be paying to post jobs) and to remoters (candidates) too. I've got thoughts already and have started on some of it already (i.e. contest blasted through slideshare, G+, etc).

Any thoughts on how you'd do this if it were you? Figured some help would be welcome since I'm doing this solo and it's my first site like this. Don't think there is a way to get affiliates to market for me, is there?

Not too sure on the forum rules - can I give you the URL so you can see it too?

Want to do a Youtube video (something funny perhaps) and try to incorporate that as well for SEO, etc

I thought I might try to start interviewing industry leaders in a standard format to build content for SEO and attract their followers.

Thanks - let me know if you need more info.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

nextgen

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jan 21, 2013
Long Island, NY
I would be interested in seeing what your website looks like. You could send out mass emails or even better call the companies HR department and tell them about your website.

Personally once I get to a point that I am looking for remote employees I would use it

fsutemplar

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 16, 2013
Well, the URL is OnlyRemoteJobs.com | The Job Board for Telecommuters and Remote Workers. Let me know what you think so far - I know, I need to blog more but I just started late last week. Let me know feedback on the site

I've thought about emailing recruiters - I need to do that but I don't have lists there. I may try through LinkedIn as I have a premium account on it (inmails). You only get a few per month though.

I really need something else to broadcast it out to targeted audience (HR recruiters and then remoters)

buggy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Feb 6, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Remote work jobs is horizontal niche which makes it hard to target recruiters and candidates. It covers a diverse range of people including software developers, system administrators, copywriters, designers, lawyers, accountants, telemarketing, etc. You may do better targeting a vertical niche or related niches. Say remote jobs for accountants and bookkeepers.

fsutemplar

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 16, 2013
Remote work jobs is horizontal niche which makes it hard to target recruiters and candidates. It covers a diverse range of people including software developers, system administrators, copywriters, designers, lawyers, accountants, telemarketing, etc. You may do better targeting a vertical niche or related niches.

Got it, you suggest digging down further into the niche. I've heard that before - niche down until it hurts. Thanks

fsutemplar

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 16, 2013
Anyone else have marketing advice for a service like this? I would like to try piggybacking some people's networks (e.g. affiliate marketers, if that was an option) but not sure where to find that.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
My solution to everything is video, so take this or leave this:

A killer explainer video (one for employees one for employers) can work wonders in raising conversion rates. When your pool of contacts is limited, conversion rate is king. A pro video will show professionalism and capability. When looking for an employee, you want a source that screams trust. A source that screams professionalism and "I know what I'm doing". I well designed website coupled with a nice video can work wonders in establishing that instant trust.

fsutemplar

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 16, 2013
Thanks, that helps - and where do you suggest broadcasting these videos? By creating a YouTube channel or embedding on the site or?

Nick

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Oct 25, 2011
Anyone else have marketing advice for a service like this? I would like to try piggybacking some people's networks (e.g. affiliate marketers, if that was an option) but not sure where to find that.

You need first to solve the chicken-and-egg problem first - that's the term used in startups when the product and the value proposition are the users and other users signing up only if they see other users, and since you don't have any users, you can't convert any other users to sign up, the chicken-and-egg problem; dating sites, social networks, forums are classical examples of chicken and egg problems and your job board is one as well.

You can't bring in recruiters, cause there are no people to recruit, you can't find people to join, as you have no recruiters posting job opportunities.

Affiliates marketers are not going to help you. They are coming if they can see that they make money in your niche. If you are not making any money right now, they are not coming to save the day. They are the piggy backers off your business, you rarely piggy back of them. So first step is to get traction and establish yourself, and have some real action going on before even thinking to go through the affiliate marketing route.

Also, signing up on clickbank and other affiliate marketing platforms is different from finding affiliate marketers. If you are new there, you get nothing from the platform, you need to bring your own group of affiliate marketers as well there, to push the product, make you product raise in score/gravity, before getting some affiliate marketers from the platform.

Your whole business is based on solving the chicken-and-egg problem, and "blogging" and a youtube video here and there is not going to help you, this is a very hard problem to overcome. The platform is easy to build, finding the users is the real challenge. You should have had a well defined plan for that well before even starting to building the platform, collecting emails, going in beta, launching to a list, etc...

fsutemplar

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 16, 2013
You need first to solve the chicken-and-egg problem first -

You should have had a well defined plan for that well before even starting to building the platform, collecting emails, going in beta, launching to a list, etc...

I understand what you're saying here - and that's why I'm asking for marketing tips to see if there are other avenues I haven't thought of yet. I'm trying other marketing approaches I just haven't elaborated on in the thread. I appreciate your candor and you're right..the chicken and egg problem is the issue. I don't think it's insurmountable, I just need to find a "hook" to start gaining traction and users. That's why I'm trying to get marketing advice - don't want to plan in a vacuum.

Also, I launched this quick - trying to get on the dance floor and continue the momentum. Sometimes, you need to just act.

I'm considering offering free job postings for recruiters for a limited time and then attempting to broadcast to candidates via social media. There's no easy answer here - otherwise the opportunity wouldn't exist.

I just need to remain persistent and attempt to build a user base little by little.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.