The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

New York's new law on AirBnBs...

Threads with an onging chat or conversation

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018

Starting September 5, New York City began enforcing restrictions on short-term rentals that could push visitors away from booking platforms such as Airbnb and into the arms of hotels.

Local Law 18 includes several rules that travelers might find troublesome:

• No more than two paying guests can stay in a short-term rental at a time, no matter the size of the dwelling or the number of bedrooms.
  • Hosts must be physically present while their properties are being rented.
  • Hosts and visitors must leave the doors inside the dwelling unlocked, so occupants can access the entire unit.

Wow. That’s very restrictive.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane

Starting September 5, New York City began enforcing restrictions on short-term rentals that could push visitors away from booking platforms such as Airbnb and into the arms of hotels.

• No more than two paying guests can stay in a short-term rental at a time, no matter the size of the dwelling or the number of bedrooms.
  • Hosts and visitors must leave the doors inside the dwelling unlocked, so occupants can access the entire unit.

Hosts must be present? So if it's some loft style place with only one bed/studio they can't rent it on airbnb now? Pretty lame.

MRiabov

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
May 30, 2023

That's stupid. If the market decides that they want Airbnb and not hotels, the market will choose Las Vegas and not New York for their holiday rentals

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

In Singapore we have rules against airbnb too. Unless you are a registered hotel/motel you can rent out your house no less than 3 month.

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023
Hosts must be present? So if it's some loft style place with only one bed/studio they can't rent it on airbnb now? Pretty lame.
Well it fixes the social crisis.

Hey! Welcome to your Airbnb! Unfortunately, you had signed up for the 2 bed 2 bathroom but now we’re roommates and you can only use 1 bed 1 bathroom!

I will wake you up at 6 am to collect the money you owe me every night!

Hope you enjoy your stay.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Those benevolent New York legislators also restricted Uber to save disgusting taxis too.

They have a track record of favoritism and monopoly building.

I think they’re also banning charcoal fired pizzarias which make the best pizzas in town.

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
I think they’re also banning charcoal fired pizzarias which make the best pizzas in town.

The quicker NY moves to Chicago pizza the better.

taste-of-chicago-pizza.jpg

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
I'm traveling from Ireland to visit NYC next week for 7 days. I didn't realize how expensive it is before booking the trip! It is true there really are no Airbnb options anymore so I got a hotel.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'm traveling from Ireland to visit NYC next week for 7 days. I didn't realize how expensive it is before booking the trip! It is true there really are no Airbnb options anymore so I got a hotel.

Mission accomplished for the multi-million dollar hotel lobby and bribed politicians.

A loss for small business and people just trying to better their lives.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
DTfW_IvVAAAiNOA.jpg

Governments in their current form are evil and must be removed.

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
Mission accomplished for the multi-million dollar hotel lobby and bribed politicians.

A loss for small business and people just trying to better their lives.

Yes and no. If you look up the statistics the boom in Airbnbs has been pretty wild. You have investors buying up 100+ properties all to Airbnb them, hollowing out certain neighbourhoods in cities.

I am a professional Airbnb host too (in Ireland) but it does really feel like a run away train. A blanket ban isn’t waranted but there definitely should be some sort of limit on it or extra tax.

From 2017 to 2023 the amount of Airbnb in cities have jumped by multiples!

Also, on another note… the death of NYC may have been exaggerated. I’m having a blast here! My cousin who is a cop locally here says it probably hit a low point during the pandemic with weird governing/social problems but reality/normality-common sense seems to be returning.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015

This sounds like it is sponsored by the hotel lobby (pardon the pun). I wonder if it's enforceable; what's stopping someone from simply ignoring the law and doing what they want?

Bence Ur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 24, 2023
Banning Airbnbs is a lazy, dumb and short-sighted move. If the housing prices are too expensive, it is because of the market supply and demand: the demand is much higher than the supply, hence the high prices. It is microeconomics for dummies. The solution? Increase the supply. So build more houses.

Vienna, Austria is the most liveable city in the world, social housing in Vienna contributes significantly to this fact. 500,000 people live in 1,800 municipal housing complexes in Vienna. It took them 100 years to build out this massive social housing system.

So yes it is a lot of work, it is easier yelling at Airbnbs... Why not create a plan for the next 100 years and start building these social houses to drive the prices down? Because it is hard work, it is easier to ban Airbnbs and call it a day.

Indulgency

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Nov 3, 2019
I certainly wouldn't book a place to stay if the host has to be physically present during the entire stay. That is incredibly awful.

Also, you could look at Newyorkrentalbyowner.com (pretty good selection).

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.