The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

New web project (feedback wanted)

SteveW

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
May 30, 2011
Hi guys,

I just launched a website that I'm hoping will build up into something profitable. It's basically a community-ran funny pictures website, but the content is submitted by anonymous viewers and only the funniest get posted on the front page.

foolry.com

I'd love some feedback on it (the good and the bad)!

Thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Well, you have a huge competitor at icanhascheeseburger.com and its network of sites. They have cornered the market. And I'm not sure people look those funny pics as much as they used to. Still tho, doesn't mean it wont succeed but figure out where you gonna get traffic etc.

Hi guys,

I just launched a website that I'm hoping will build up into something profitable. It's basically a community-ran funny pictures website, but the content is submitted by anonymous viewers and only the funniest get posted on the front page.

foolry.com

I'd love some feedback on it (the good and the bad)!

Thanks.

SteveW

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
May 30, 2011
Yeah, that site was always fun to visit and definitely had an influence on launching this site. I'm trying to find ways of differentiating mine from theirs. Maybe making it a smoother and funner experience with a lot less bloat (which the cheezburger sites have). Thanks for the feedback.

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
It's cool:)

We want more:)

Maybe you can add more stuff yourself, people will hardly be ice-breakers for someone's site, but might gladly join in when there's ton of stuff.

Chris Becker

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Aug 11, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Your concept of "only the funniest/best gets on the front page" is interesting and I definitely like it. ICanHasCheezburger and other sites are streams of the most recent. They must do that to achieve a higher numbers of page-views, because the funniest image, in our minds, "might be just on the next page so we should visit the next page and find it." However, the competition factor of posting the funniest/best image should appeal to the target market that is engaged with those sites. One website that I recently found that is doing some creative things to get users engaged is CaptureWisconsin.com. Behind the gallery titles there is a portion of a picture uploaded by a user. I have a few friends who post on there, and even though the images used as backdrops for the gallery titles, every couple days I see a new facebook posting that their picture is being used "on the front page!" or "with the Cityscape category!" Certainly their friends will check it out because friends achieving some success is exciting. Plus, the people who see their friend getting 'featured' on the front page is new traffic. That sort of competition and interaction is engaging. There might be something on that site that can inspire you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.