The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

New & Needing Your Opinions...

SharrodG

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 12, 2013
Florida
Hello all,

So I just finished reading my copy of The Millionaire Fastlane and it had the same affect on me as it did most others...changed my perspective on life and wealth. With that being said, I'm 28 years old now and my ignorance in this field has led me down a slowlane path; albeit a respectful slowlane path, its still slowlane. Let me start out by providing a bit of background and then I'd be appreciative of any feedback/suggestions the forum had to offer.

Background:
My parents were unsuccessful slowlaners with six children to care for and no money handed down to them. After high school, I enlisted in the military at the age of 18 in order to get away from poverty and sidewalking friends. During those first four years, I was very dedicated to advancement and promotion for the added privileges it offered and the pay raises. My performance and motivation became very evident to my superiors and thus led to being accepted into an Officer Commissioning Program. This program allowed me to go to school full-time (to pursue a degree in Nursing), on the Navy's dime, all while receiving full pay and benefits. Then upon graduation, I would receive a commission into the Navy Nurse Corps. This sounded like a home-run at the time, but now after reading TMF , I'm thinking I put a huge wrench in my Fastlane opportunities.

Dilemma:
So now, I have a Bachelor's Degree in Nursing, 10 years invested into the military and an obligation to serve atleast another 3 years. I am able to retire with full benefits and a pension at 20 years in. My question is...I have the opportunity to get out in 3 years and pursue the fastlane route, orrrrr....I could apply for the Navy to send me back to school to obtain my Doctorate of Nursing Practice (DNP) in Anesthesia and become a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist, again, on the Navy's dime. My chances for getting selected for the DNP Program are pretty good with my academic and military performance thus far, but it would lead to another six year obligation, making it mandatory that I stay in till at least retirement.

Thoughts..?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Welcome. Thank you for your service.

Sounds like you are obligated to the military for a period of time.

2 questions and maybe a lot of solutions:

1) Why do your choices have to be either/or?

2) Why not make the best of the time you have to serve?

Take them up on their education/experience offer. It will result in more money and benefits for you in the end. During that time keep your eyes and ears open for medical problems/solutions that only an INSIDERS would be able to see.

If you can't legally develop a business in your situation, then find a partner and let them be the face of the business.

Good luck.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Which path do you think will lead you to a long term contentness of spirit, enjoyable future, and happiness?

Take that path.

Mrs. BRKb

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Apr 27, 2008
USA
Welcome!

You don't mention other strengths/interests. Those may be pertinent here.

Off the top of my head...

- Med. equip biz

- Patient medical insurance claim processing service

- Run anesthesia group, maybe remote stateside location or OCONUS?

- Meet a fed supply need as a gov contracting company

- Create a better product based on your experience

- See if a different field of funded study is a possibility, something that would help your fastlane project?

Runum is right. Even if you do 20, that's just the beginning of your professional life.

With the state of the economy, there's also the possibility that an early ret/separation program could roll out.

GymMemberHelper

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Sep 26, 2013
Self-actualized
Hello all,
(background story)

Thoughts..?

First and foremost, thank you for your military service!

I had a similar dilemma. At 21 years old I had 3 years enlisted time with the Army National Guard. I signed up for Ohio State's ROTC program. (Reserve Officer Training Corps for non-military civilians) This would have given me a quick ticket to Military Intelligence School; however, it would add another 6 years to my contract after commission :( I reconsidered my position and backed out of the ROTC obligation and fulfilled my enlisted contract. I spent a total of 6 years enlisted and got out!

You are more vested both time and I am guessing rank. If I were in your shoes, I would stick the Navy service out as much as possible.
Do you like it?
Does it pay well?
Is there any risk involved with you finishing your next 7 years to retirement?
Also, if they pay for school; it would be a great way to gain education on their dime. Ask yourself these deep questions; that will help!

Think of it like this; If you get out in 3 years, you can go to school for your DNP but you will accrue a good amount of debt. Or you can skip school, get out of the Navy, and pursue your own business. Is this business a guaranteed money maker? If not....think about it for a while....

Personally, I would literally take out a sheet of paper and write down a cost benefit analysis If you find more reasons to leave the Navy and go for the fastlane track; do it! In the event the Navy and retirement prove more beneficial; go that route!

Either way you will make the right decision. Have confidence in what you decide; solicit feedback from loved ones, friends, relatives, and even (potential) business associates. I am confident you will make the right decision!

Welcome to the forum!

Justin S.
- Columbus, Ohio
Former Army National Guard; Infantry Team Leader, Military Police Team Leader, Military Intelligence Officer Cadet

Last edited:

JudoTom

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Sep 3, 2013
Scranton PA
do you like nursing? One of the happiest guys I know is a Nurse Anesthetist. He does like his job and it gives him a lot of freedom and $$$$$. He has a great house, car, travels and has helped a lot of people with his $$$$.

I also know a bunch of people who have retired from the military and then started cool fun businesses.

One of my best friends is now getting his masters degree paid for by the GI bill. He is finishing up about 5 more years of reserve time and will 'retire' at 40. He will have a nice pension, medical and a degree that will give him a lot of opportunities.

I would suggest or at least think about staying in the service for a while!

Good luck and Thanks either way you go.

I want to add that no matter what route you go I would be willing to bet you will be successful!

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
I was almost in your situation. After earning a business degree I applied and was declined 2 times for OCS and once for LDO. I quit applying when I made Senior Chief, I was having too much fun by then.

You're over the hump. With no clear alternatives today. I'd get the DNP and milk the Navy for everything I could in the next 10 years.

Study business and train for a successful transition.

You'll be under 40, that's not that old.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
You are stuck for 3 years minimum, plenty of time to look for a fastlane project. If you dont find an idea in 3 years then think again

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...