Hey Guys,
My name is Jonathan, but all of my friends call me Jonno, please feel free to call me either. I am 23 years old and married to the most fantastic woman of my dreams (I married WAY up). I have a BA in Finance from Michigan State University and have worked for the last 18 months in Financial Services as an auto loan underwriter for a top 10 bank in North America.
As simply as I can put this, I, as many are, am not happy at my job. I work in the retail sector servicing consumer loans which means I went to school to work retail hours. This includes weekends and holidays. I am now looking for my exit as I feel the longer I wait the harder it will become. Plus the consumption of time at a job like this especially with an ever changing schedule and hours makes it very hard to pursue my own ventures.
I originally started my job to gain experience, have a better understanding of how businesses and companies run, to eventually start one of my own. I grew up in a household where my father had done the exact same thing. When he was about 30 or so he started his own automotive design company for lighting (headlights and taillights), he went on to become quite successful but missed his queue to sell his company (he was offered several million dollars) and with the economic downturns and the way the automotive industry changed he ended up going out of business. However this was almost 10 years ago now and he has not had a job since because he was smart and lived well below his means and put away a ton of cash while business was good.
I started lurking the forum a few weeks to a month ago, I've already picked up and complete read the The Millionaire Fastlane book (Thanks MJ!). I finally decided to pull the trigger and at least introduce myself on the forum since I've been reading through tons of posts over the last month or so and feel like I know everyone here already.
A lot of the principles in the first half of the book come quite naturally to me actually. My wife and I live well below our means, I choose not to finance anything if I can avoid it (I do have some student loans, which at the time was unavoidable but they are almost paid off now). I live my life with the idea that if you don't have the cash for it, you can't afford it. My two older brothers actually nick named me "The Bank" when we were younger because I was always good with money and they always spent theirs. They would come to me and ask to borrow money and I would oblige, but even at the age of 7-8 years old I understood the value of having something that someone else needs and capitalizing on it. I charged them interest.
I am sorry that this is a novel, I am just excited to be here and to have found this forum. I am at the point like most people who read MJ's book of trying to find that need or idea of something to start with. My goal in the next year is to get to the point where I no longer have to rely 100% on my paycheck from my job. With my wife's income I would only need to make about $900 a month to cover all of our basic expenses. 2013 is my year, I can just feel it.
Thanks for taking the time to read this! I look forward to getting to know and networking with everyone on here.
My name is Jonathan, but all of my friends call me Jonno, please feel free to call me either. I am 23 years old and married to the most fantastic woman of my dreams (I married WAY up). I have a BA in Finance from Michigan State University and have worked for the last 18 months in Financial Services as an auto loan underwriter for a top 10 bank in North America.
As simply as I can put this, I, as many are, am not happy at my job. I work in the retail sector servicing consumer loans which means I went to school to work retail hours. This includes weekends and holidays. I am now looking for my exit as I feel the longer I wait the harder it will become. Plus the consumption of time at a job like this especially with an ever changing schedule and hours makes it very hard to pursue my own ventures.
I originally started my job to gain experience, have a better understanding of how businesses and companies run, to eventually start one of my own. I grew up in a household where my father had done the exact same thing. When he was about 30 or so he started his own automotive design company for lighting (headlights and taillights), he went on to become quite successful but missed his queue to sell his company (he was offered several million dollars) and with the economic downturns and the way the automotive industry changed he ended up going out of business. However this was almost 10 years ago now and he has not had a job since because he was smart and lived well below his means and put away a ton of cash while business was good.
I started lurking the forum a few weeks to a month ago, I've already picked up and complete read the The Millionaire Fastlane book (Thanks MJ!). I finally decided to pull the trigger and at least introduce myself on the forum since I've been reading through tons of posts over the last month or so and feel like I know everyone here already.
A lot of the principles in the first half of the book come quite naturally to me actually. My wife and I live well below our means, I choose not to finance anything if I can avoid it (I do have some student loans, which at the time was unavoidable but they are almost paid off now). I live my life with the idea that if you don't have the cash for it, you can't afford it. My two older brothers actually nick named me "The Bank" when we were younger because I was always good with money and they always spent theirs. They would come to me and ask to borrow money and I would oblige, but even at the age of 7-8 years old I understood the value of having something that someone else needs and capitalizing on it. I charged them interest.
I am sorry that this is a novel, I am just excited to be here and to have found this forum. I am at the point like most people who read MJ's book of trying to find that need or idea of something to start with. My goal in the next year is to get to the point where I no longer have to rely 100% on my paycheck from my job. With my wife's income I would only need to make about $900 a month to cover all of our basic expenses. 2013 is my year, I can just feel it.
Thanks for taking the time to read this! I look forward to getting to know and networking with everyone on here.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
