The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

New Business Idea (Legal Question)

Idea threads

srjjames

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 24, 2012
I have an idea for a new business. Does anyone on the board have experience with non-profits and legal knowledge in the area of debt and collection?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rain

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Apr 5, 2011
I'm not a lawyer, so I can't give you legal advice. But instead of throwing $200+ per hour down the toilet to talk to one (yes, I openly believe that lawyers are not worth that kind of money), there are some websites where you can get them to answer questions in detail, for around $30 a pop or so, which I think is reasonable if it requires some research on their end.

You can also consider LegalShield, like I have, and pay roughly $30 a month for unlimited questions and consulting on various topics.

srjjames

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 24, 2012
Thanks, I have been looking for a free site to ask my questions.

srjjames

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 24, 2012
Mabey someone on the board could explain how are business such are credit consolidation companies and debt settlement considered non-profit? My business would be similar to that.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
Mabey someone on the board could explain how are business such are credit consolidation companies and debt settlement considered non-profit? My business would be similar to that.

Nobody can give legal advice over the internet, only their opinion (which could be completely wrong or right)

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012

Often they are formed by 'donations' from credit card companies and banks with no way to make a profit.

BUT what many people don't realize is a credit consolidation is as bad as a bankruptcy on your record and even worse you still have to pay off the debts.

As far as starting a business collecting debts it is often lawyers themselves that have companies who do this. As you can imagine they know the law very well so they are well aware of what they can and can not get away with in collecting debts. They usually get a percentage of what they collect.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rain

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Apr 5, 2011
Nobody can give legal advice over the internet, only their opinion (which could be completely wrong or right)

Well, it's possible for a lawyer to give legal advice over the Internet, but why would they do it for free when they normally charge clients $200 per hour or more for this information? Unless, of course, the stars align in the original poster's favor.

Srjjames, I'm telling you, $30 is dirt cheap for legal advice. You can't be afraid to pay for value in this world.

And lastly, someone ban lendingwanted, please. Not only is his spamming not welcome, but his website contains a trojan virus (yes, ESET quarantined it). Heads up to anyone who considers clicking his link out of curiosity.

pcharles

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
May 1, 2013
New York
I'm not a lawyer, so I can't give you legal advice. But instead of throwing $200+ per hour down the toilet to talk to one (yes, I openly believe that lawyers are not worth that kind of money), there are some websites where you can get them to answer questions in detail, for around $30 a pop or so, which I think is reasonable if it requires some research on their end.

You can also consider LegalShield, like I have, and pay roughly $30 a month for unlimited questions and consulting on various topics.
Hey Rain,

Have you considered being a LegalShield Associate & reselling the service? if yes, why? If not, why not?

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego

Please SEARCH before posting.