The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

New age Entrepreneur...Why it is scary.

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
I was thinking before about today's entrepreneurs, mostly internet. It seems extremely risky and sometimes i do get doubtful but stay positive.

IMO back in the day people used to have companies or a skill and expanded on it, they grew from something existing. Today, like myself people are starting up networking websites, blogs, ... What if these do not work out? What skill set do you have? What will you do? Its not like you were real estate builder that started a site selling real estate through a website that became a hit, you just started a website site so if that fails you have nothing to fall back on, no skills. It seems very risky to either make it or put you behind in life. I have graduated college and right from there started doing things online and making money, but if nothing ever becomes a hit where would i go, what is my career title Just some thought i had today.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Infinity

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Oct 2, 2009
It is scary, it's much more risky than taking the normal path of getting a job after graduation. However, even if your business fails or you decide entrepreneurship isn't the best path - I'm pretty confident that the skills learned are transferable and acknowledged by most companies. If you can sell yourself that you took the risk to start a business, and show that you put in real effort etc..

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
from what i've heard, businesses don't like that, they like experience in their particular job field.
Its not about having to get a j o b, its just in today's market with the internet, some businesses can be so huge and you can be rich overnight but if it doesn't take off your just some guy with no experience in anything...that's scary.
I was saying before, in older businesses models you at least had something you did then expanded so you could always go back, the new entrepreneur is much riskier than the older generation entrepreneur, that is what i realized. Pretty much if you are building an e-biz and it does not work you left with 0, but if you had a brick and mortar business that did not get huge at least you still had your income on a small level to go back to. This has caused me to mix half physical into half internet. For me it is a great balance, but will limit me, as i grow doing 50/50 i try to lean off of the physical world and move more toward internet based ( make a smaller percentage, do more volume)

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
In the same breath, those regular businesses need experts on the web and all those things you mentioned.

Create scarcity. Do something that others cannot. Create value for them.

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
i have tried many different things, i have to say one thing i learned "know thy target market" i was running a physical business and learned so much about the consumer behavior, what they hate to deal with, the void in the business, all aspects, and once i started filling the void people were calling me, emailing me wanted me to provide services, other businesses i have tried....not so much.

Commoncents i like your comment, it makes sense, but you said " Do something that others cannot" can you expand on that. How can any of us do something that others cannot replicate.

Also, you said create value... to me that means i give you money and i get what i expected or more in return..correct? can you expand on that as well. I feel that most people just want to get what they expected, they don't always need all the bells and whistles, maybe that is just in the industries i have been in. thank you i appreciate all comments.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Well, if you fail then try again with more experience. And if you start a blog on some topic then you learn more and more about it, therefore you become better at it and can use it in real life. You can also learn such thing as setting up a blog and do it for small business or something. Just be open-minded!

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Are you out of your mind!

Waking up for the rest of my life, hating myself, hating my life, knowing I am more than what I am doing... THAT is SCARY! jeeeeezus

Deep inside everyone, there is a little voice that knows you have something to give, something to offer, some way to help people, someone, anything. Whatever that is, if it's fire, NO ONE CAN BEAT YOU AT IT. But in the words of Will Smith, you have to believe, follow the fire, and "now we just have to wait for ya'll to see."

Perhaps you are just going through the motions of self exploration as I once did, and continue to do. Some people are hard headed ( ME!!!!) and have to hit different kinds of bottom many times, have someone smack them upside the head, and then start to "wake up." Pretty much like a drug addict... I mean think about it, our whole lives, one direction has been taught to the majority of us. Then all of the sudden you wanna go the other way... They're ain't no eddy's in this river son!

But shit man, you need to check yourself, because you're not seeing opportunity.

.....or maybe I'm crazy and it's only instilled in those of thus from the asylum. Me thinks not, but that's me.

What if these do not work out? What skill set do you have? What will you do?

WHAT IF? Stop saying what if, start doing it, and leave your competitors saying it. It works wonders.

SKILLS?!? Stop making excuses. I've built houses, home theaters, you name it, but I couldn't ftp something to save my freakin life! You think I'm kidding...people don't know this about me... Ask my friends how a cup went through a monitor because it took an ENTIRE DAY for me to learn what an ftp client was and how to use it. Holy shit I've never yelled and screamed so much in my life! But, I wanted it, and I made a life out of it.

DOESN"T WORK OUT!? A lot of things don't work out. You get off your F*cking a$$ and hustle until they do. Right now, it appears as though you're self sabotaging yourself before you even find out if things work or not. Is that how you wanna live your life?

I'll leave you with this:

Either way, the choice is yours.

*disclaimer- if you take this the wrong way, which you shouldn't be, this is not really directed AT the OP. I see this time and time again, people asking me questions all the time, making excuses, seeing, or thinking they see what I do, and think the shit was a cakewalk to get there. So, really just a wake up call for everyone.

lightweight99

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Nov 13, 2009
Kentucky

Waking up for the rest of my life, hating myself, hating my life, knowing I am more than what I am doing... THAT is SCARY! jeeeeezus

Deep inside everyone, there is a little voice that knows you have something to give, something to offer, some way to help people, someone, anything.

Perhaps you are just going through the motions of self exploration as I once did, and continue to do. Some people are hard headed ( ME!!!!) and have to hit different kinds of bottom many times, have someone smack them upside the head, and then start to "wake up."

But shit man, you need to check yourself, because you're not seeing opportunity.

.....or maybe I'm crazy and it's only instilled in those of thus from the asylum. Me thinks not, but that's me.

:iagree: :fastlane:

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
I am an entrepreneur by nature, i dont do it to impress people, because im scared of a job or whatever i love business, whatever it is. I do see the opportunity of the internet...that's why im starting e-businesses! I do not only look for today though, i think about tomorrow, maybe something some other people should have done spending all that money when things were good. I am just a person who hates putting all their eggs in one basket, and with the internet its all or nothing. I guess today was just a down day and i needed some people to tell me to shut up and get it done, thats why im a member here. No doubt there is no other way to make money like on the internet, its just seems unstable to me, ive heard so many up one day down the next sorry.. thank you

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009

Deep inside everyone, there is a little voice that knows you have something to give, something to offer, some way to help people, someone, anything. Whatever that is, if it's fire, NO ONE CAN BEAT YOU AT IT. But in the words of Will Smith, you have to believe, follow the fire, and "now we just have to wait for ya'll to see."

Perhaps you are just going through the motions of self exploration as I once did, and continue to do. Some people are hard headed ( ME!!!!) and have to hit different kinds of bottom many times, have someone smack them upside the head, and then start to "wake up." Pretty much like a drug addict... I mean think about it, our whole lives, one direction has been taught to the majority of us. Then all of the sudden you wanna go the other way... They're ain't no eddy's in this river son!

WHAT IF? Stop saying what if, start doing it, and leave your competitors saying it. It works wonders.

SKILLS?!? Stop making excuses. I've built houses, home theaters, you name it, but I couldn't ftp something to save my freakin life! You think I'm kidding...people don't know this about me... Ask my friends how a cup went through a monitor because it took an ENTIRE DAY for me to learn what an ftp client was and how to use it. Holy shit I've never yelled and screamed so much in my life! But, I wanted it, and I made a life out of it.

DOESN"T WORK OUT!? A lot of things don't work out. You get off your F*cking a$$ and hustle until they do. Right now, it appears as though you're self sabotaging yourself before you even find out if things work or not. Is that how you wanna live your life?

I'll leave you with this:

Either way, the choice is yours.

*disclaimer- if you take this the wrong way, which you shouldn't be, this is not really directed AT the OP. I see this time and time again, people asking me questions all the time, making excuses, seeing, or thinking they see what I do, and think the shit was a cakewalk to get there. So, really just a wake up call for everyone.

Speed+ !!!

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
I am an entrepreneur by nature, i dont do it to impress people, because im scared of a job or whatever i love business, whatever it is. I do see the opportunity of the internet...that's why im starting e-businesses! I do not only look for today though, i think about tomorrow, maybe something some other people should have done spending all that money when things were good. I am just a person who hates putting all their eggs in one basket, and with the internet its all or nothing. I guess today was just a down day and i needed some people to tell me to shut up and get it done, thats why im a member here. No doubt there is no other way to make money like on the internet, its just seems unstable to me, ive heard so many up one day down the next sorry.. thank you

I hear ya bud, but your attitude is not congruent with what you're saying.

"When things were good" ... you see, you're on that shit again. STOP SMOKIN IT! Didn't they tell you that in school! lol

No really, this is the best it's ever been. And the best it's ever gonna be, cuz if you don't act now, you'll be dead before ya know it. You're breathing, alive, and have the opportunity to do something TODAY! Now we get to the internet... are you nuts? It's the internet man, if something doesn't work out, START SOMETHING ELSE!

Whoever gave you that idea is just hatin cuz they didn't have the balls to do it.

Do you know how many sites I've built that sucked? If I were to tell you, you probably wouldn't believe me. I've added some to the post above, so that should give you some inclination as to what my skills brought me int he early days.

I can tell you, hundreds of domains and sites DO NOT equal money. I can tell you success comes in numbers if you weren't born with whatever skill set your using. Many learnings (failures) and a few one hit wonders is all it takes.

Keep your head up, and keep at it.

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
your all right, and dont get me wrong i am taking action, everyday im pushing forward and working my a$$ off, but when you do not see results and don't have that reinforcement, it gets tough. thank you

Halli

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Jun 18, 2009
London,UK
mtnman : I have to give you a speed++ for that first post.Reminded me of the speech that Alec Baldwin gives in Glengarry Glen Ross :yourock:

slim_jim

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jan 31, 2008
Columbus, OH
i learned "know thy target market" i was running a physical business and learned so much about the consumer behavior, what they hate to deal with, the void in the business, all aspects, and once i started filling the void people were calling me, emailing me wanted me to provide services

Like they say in "nawlins" Woot! there it is........

<snip>
once i started filling the void people were calling me, emailing me wanted me to provide services

</snip>

You have the answer. rinse, lather, repeat.

Brootal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jun 30, 2009
Virginia
I agree with mtnman. The scariest thing in my life right now is how closely I relate to Peter from Office Space.

Instead of working on a virus that I learned in Superman 3 that will rip of the company for fractions of a cent, I am working towards my path to the fastlane.

djs13

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 3, 2007
NY
I was thinking before about today's entrepreneurs, mostly internet. It seems extremely risky and sometimes i do get doubtful but stay positive.

IMO back in the day people used to have companies or a skill and expanded on it, they grew from something existing. Today, like myself people are starting up networking websites, blogs, ... What if these do not work out? What skill set do you have? What will you do? Its not like you were real estate builder that started a site selling real estate through a website that became a hit, you just started a website site so if that fails you have nothing to fall back on, no skills. It seems very risky to either make it or put you behind in life. I have graduated college and right from there started doing things online and making money, but if nothing ever becomes a hit where would i go, what is my career title Just some thought i had today.

I haven't read any of the other posts since I'm short on time, but I felt compelled to respond to the original thread.

Part of being a successful entrepreneur is not having ONE good idea, or ONE skill set. Richard Branson went from being the King of the British Music Industry to the King of the Airline industry - do you honestly think he was a genius in both fields?

Just because there is a large amount of internet entrepreneurs doesn't mean all entrepreneurs today can only make their wealth through the internet. What's holding you back from starting a real estate empire like the ones so many have built in the past?

If anything entrepreneurs have it easier today than they did in the past. Information is abundant and can be accessed everywhere. Even if you don't like blogs and sites like those (which I don't either and don't particularly view as fastlane), the internet itself is an awesome connection for startups and their customers. I'm sure the bubble for blogs will burst if it already hasn't (because they are so saturated), but the internet will always be a source for entrepreneurs to market and to sell to their customer base. A book called "The Long Tail" really goes in depth about the internet and economics and how it has changed the entire theory of supply and demand - since with the internet supply can often be infinite.

The successful entrepreneur diversifies over time as he/she becomes wealthy. If you have a business idea, you are not chained to it for the rest of your life. Businesses are often sold, and some even go out of business. But the ones that go out of business aren't game enders for entrepreneurs like Feliex Dennis, Richard Branson, etc - because their money is invested in many ventures.

Good luck.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.