What's new

Networking: a major weakness as strength.

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 39,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block.

Writer

Regular Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Joined
Aug 26, 2014
Messages
305
Location
Texas. (Mars during summer)
Rep Bank
$1,015
User Power: 143%
I admit it. I suck at networking. Call it a mix of shyness and laziness, but for me meeting new people is always a problem. Once they get to know me – and I get to know “them” – things become much better.
I was told many times that I look always pissed off, but once I am “in” I become the life of the group. I guess that I find difficult opening up.
I know already that this is going to be one of the many problems I will have to face if I want to be successful, therefore I am trying to work on this bad weakness.
Tuesday was election day, and a friend of mine – a local politician – invited me to a closed party with many other politicians, and their friends and family. At first I was thinking about refusing, but then I thought that there’s no better opportunity to get to know people. Politicians have an extended network of people, after all it’s their job. So I forced myself to go to the party. Councilmen, judges, county commissioners etc. were all present. Also, a couple of US and State Congressmen were present (they were assaulted by “friends”, of course).
I think I made a decent impression, most people were likable and were very willing to talk to me. The county commissioner was very talkative with me; we discussed about politics, sports and general stuff. He befriended me on Facebook and he told me via private message that he wants to meet me again (I guess he was fascinated by the fact that I am from Italy). At the party, I did not talk about my entrepreneurial wishes and desires. I kept it cool; I was not going there begging for a job, I was there to meet people.
All of this to say that although it was difficult, I think it was very useful in gaining some personal visibility. Now I have to figure out how to keep up with the contacts.
Since networking is one of my major weaknesses, I will try to make it a strength and I will use this post as a sort of unofficial progress thread that I will update once in a while.
PS: If you really want to know, it was a Republican party. I am in Texas.
 
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts

Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.

You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.

  • Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
  • MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
  • Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
  • Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."
— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."
— User Richard Peck

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

Back
Top Bottom