The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Focus on perfecting your strengths over improving your weaknesses

Anything related to matters of the mind

DONTRAY

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Aug 8, 2019
Pennsylvania
Greetings all. I’m quickly reading through The 4-Hour Work Week. I read across a part where it explains in my own words that once you start focusing more on your weaknesses your strengths become ineffective. I know some books are filled with BS. It got my attention since I’m exploring my strengths and weaknesses. In conclusion what’s your simple take on focusing on strengths and weaknesses.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Greetings all. I’m quickly reading through The 4-Hour Work Week. I read across a part where it explains in my own words that once you start focusing more on your weaknesses your strengths become ineffective. I know some books are filled with BS. It got my attention since I’m exploring my strengths and weaknesses. In conclusion what’s your simple take on focusing on strengths and weaknesses.
I think of focusing on one’s strength and managing one’s weakness.

Strength most of the time is not some magical genetic gift that people usually associated with. It is usually years of accumulated learning that give people a better starting point. If you have worked in an industry for five years as an employee surely if you start a business in the same field you have better experience, knowledge and personal network than someone who gets into the same field to chase a business trend.

Another type of strength is “path dependence”. With the exception of a few mad genius in the world, most successful people are not as versatile as what other people believe and they do their best when sticking to a certain playbook. If you read Mark Cuban’s business history he often identify a possible future trend first, build or invest in a business and grow it fast, then sell at the peak of the investment cycle when public interest come to the sector as the “big thing”. Whether the business is turning a profit or not is of little importance. This is how he earned his riches and this style also reflected in how he pick his investment in shark tank. It is part experience and part personality based.

Whatever you do there will always be competition, so focus on your strength makes sense.

Managing your weakness is common sense. Because whatever you do, even as an employee doing a project very often it requires more than one skill. There are things you hate that you cannot run away, or they will kill the whole thing.

ShepardHumphries

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Feb 5, 2020
All the above, and while managing one's time and leveraging. I start businesses and ventures and projects primarily to overcome weaknesses. I fail a bunch, which I view as an important part of the process.

I think that strengths are a great shorter-term goal for making money, then when you are comfortable; tackle something new! :) In the last two years I have barged forward in order to learn by:

I am still not "strong" in the skills or disciplines of any of the above, however I am now 99% better than the human population at all the above. I enjoy foci=suing on weaknesses more than strengths because strengths are boring. I have that luxury though because my "strength" business keeps the $ coming in while I play. lol

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.