The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need marketing advice

Marketing, social media, advertising

garyfritz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 16, 2011
Colorado
I've been brainstorming with a friend of mine, trying to help him resuscitate his business. I'd appreciate any suggestions from the brain trust here.

Michael and his wife are both clinical hypnotherapists. Deborah handles a wide range of psychological issues; Michael is focused on smoking cessation and weight loss. That's where the bulk of their income comes (came) from. They are very good at what they do; Michael says their smoking clients generally only need one session. They tell their clients if they have any problems or relapse, come back and they will work with them for free. After 10 years and almost 1000 smoking clients, they've had very few people come back for "boosters."

Because they're so effective, they don't get much ongoing repeat business. For the most part they see someone once or twice and then they're "cured." So they have to generate a continuous flow of new clients.

They've tried offering incentives for referrals, posting flyers in dentist offices and elsewhere, and several other attempts to fill their funnel. Their most effective business source for years has been Google.

Until the last year. The Panda updates put a real dent in their lead generation. Unfortunately neither of them is very tech-savvy, so Michael didn't realize how much Google could damage their income source. Then there was another change in March, and their calls stopped almost overnight. They dropped from high on page 1 to some low position that wasn't working. Their income dried up two months ago and they're long past desperate.

I referred Michael to several local SEO experts I know, and they're working with one of them now. They just submitted their improved website to Google yesterday. The SEO person says she's confident she'll get them better results than they had before, but at this point Michael would be delighted and relieved if she just got them back to where they were.

So:

Any suggestions, ideas, recommendations for ways they can generate a steadier flow of clients? Anything outside of the obvious things that their SEO expert is likely to recommend? Any non-online marketing ideas?

I asked Michael if they have to work face-to-face, or if they could take clients over the phone. He says it works best if they can have at least the initial session in-person, but they can do phone sessions after that. I might prod him to consider if they really could do their service without any F2F contact, since I suspect they could hugely expand their business if they didn't limit themselves to local clients.

Thanks for any ideas!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
If they already have a website that converts, get some paid traffic to it.

rocksolid

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 17, 2008
New York
I'm not really a tech guy so my ideas are more out of the box. Let's break it down and see what we get. Who wants to quite smoking and why? First thought was expecting parents may want to quite smoking. How about working with some OBGYN doctors in the area? Maybe their patients or spouses would want to quite before the baby comes. Maybe look into advertising in a magazine geared toward new parents.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
I'm not really a tech guy so my ideas are more out of the box. Let's break it down and see what we get. Who wants to quite smoking and why? First thought was expecting parents may want to quite smoking. How about working with some OBGYN doctors in the area? Maybe their patients or spouses would want to quite before the baby comes.

1) Don't your friends know how to register a forum account themselves to get marketing help? Sounds like they have plenty of free time
2) Hypnosis is humbug. Find people who believe in humbug.
3) Perhaps they can start selling magical crystals and power bracelets until things pick back up.

How were they ranking before? If their site was hit that hard you'd think maybe they were previously doing some spamming. Maybe they can offer a 6 step self-hypnosis CD set to keep their cravings at bay. Their customers as an up-sell. If they're not coming back for more might as well squeeze out some cash while they're there.

I feel like if those customers aren't coming back it's NOT because it worked... I'm thinking it's because it DIDN'T work and they didn't feel like wasting any more of their money. If it DID work in a single session they'd have surely referred one of their many friends who smoke.

garyfritz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 16, 2011
Colorado
DD, please go troll your prejudices elsewhere.

If they already have a website that converts, get some paid traffic to it.
I suspect their SEO person will probably recommend this. I think they need to get some cashflow going before they can pay for visits.

I'm not really a tech guy so my ideas are more out of the box. Let's break it down and see what we get. Who wants to quite smoking and why? First thought was expecting parents may want to quite smoking. How about working with some OBGYN doctors in the area? Maybe their patients or spouses would want to quite before the baby comes. Maybe look into advertising in a magazine geared toward new parents.
That's a reasonable idea. I'll pass that on, thanks!

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
DD, please go troll your prejudices elsewhere.

How were they ranking before? If their site was hit that hard you'd think maybe they were previously doing some spamming. Maybe they can offer a 6 step self-hypnosis CD set to keep their cravings at bay. Their customers as an up-sell. If they're not coming back for more might as well squeeze out some cash while they're there.

I feel like if those customers aren't coming back it's NOT because it worked... I'm thinking it's because it DIDN'T work and they didn't feel like wasting any more of their money. If it DID work in a single session they'd have surely referred one of their many friends who smoke.

I didn't take 5 minutes out of my life to type all that just for kicks. At least of what I quoted above, it's all legit and worth taking a second look at, not prejudice.

Result of the update on my sites on the first page of G? They got stronger.

Many people I regularly do business with are in the same boat: the only time sites that got hit are the sites they built illegitimate backlinks to. I don't think it was necessarily your friends fault, maybe the SEO guy they worked with previously. There were penalties made to their site.

The product creation advice is also legit. You can get a pro mic for $100, use free editing software, and use $0.10 blank CDs that they can resell for 40 bucks. If they're not meeting their cashflow it should be considered.

But I don't think that good SEO, or selling extra products will sell them. I believe them to be disillusioned about the state their customers are in. They should be getting glowing recommendations and TONS of referrals from people they helped quit smoking after a SINGLE session. I think either their customers are being polite and lying to them, or their exaggerating their feats (maybe not even on purpose) to make themselves feel better. That's what #1 was all about:

1) Don't your friends know how to register a forum account themselves to get marketing help? Sounds like they have plenty of free time

I'd bet you anything there are some core business problems that are being completely ignored by them and unless we get some more information, that there's nothing anyone here can do to help.

If you still have 100% faith that they cured their patients after a single session and THAT'S why they're out of leads.. ask them to call up their past success stories, and simply ask them "Do you have any friends that smoke you can refer to us? I have a list with 10 blank slots. fill in as many as you can." Do this with 20 previous clients and you have a GOLDMINE... 200 Solid leads build on the powerful foundation of social proof. Ask each of those future successes for 10 referrals and you have 2K solid leads.

If they're that good there's no reason they should be in this sort of situation.

garyfritz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 16, 2011
Colorado
I didn't take 5 minutes out of my life to type all that just for kicks. At least of what I quoted above, it's all legit and worth taking a second look at, not prejudice.
You could have done without the assumption they were spamming, let alone the snide comments about magical crystals and humbug.

Their biggest problem is that they're technically fairly clueless. They knew nothing about internet marketing. They have a ton of original content on their site (she writes blog posts regularly, has for some time), but apparently they didn't present it right or something and they ran afoul of Google's algo. The SEO person is confident they can clean it up and get back on page 1.

Michael also mentioned a local competitor who obviously knows his SEO. This guy has FIVE entries on page 1 (for some relevant search), and he's crowded out my friends and other people too.

But I don't think that good SEO, or selling extra products will sell them. I believe them to be disillusioned about the state their customers are in. They should be getting glowing recommendations and TONS of referrals from people they helped quit smoking after a SINGLE session. I think either their customers are being polite and lying to them, or their exaggerating their feats (maybe not even on purpose) to make themselves feel better. That's what #1 was all about:
Anything is possible. But I've known these people for over 15 years, and they aren't scammers. If they firmly and honestly believe they have helped all these people, then they have good reason to believe that. A few people might be polite and lie to them, but not virtually every client they've had in 10 years.

I mis-stated. They haven't *done* referral bonuses. They just started DOING them. No data on the results yet. People may be reluctant to refer friends if they're not sure the friends WANT to quit, so they may need some nudging. Calling past clients for referrals is a good idea. Not a fun thing to do, but Michael is desperate and I suspect he'd go for it.

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 6, 2013
The first thing that I think of is that the clients probably are not as successful as they may assume. That needs to be validated. If it is true then there is a huge opportunity for exploiting the service through that group. If it is true then there is a big open door to make it easy for these folks to share their results with others.

I would also look at changing the financial model. There is no reason these people can't pay a much larger amount of money over a period of time. If the fee is $400 now (for example, I have no idea what it is) then make it $1200 and spread it out over a year with them paying $100/month and giving them the freedom to come back for additional visits (within some plan) as needed during that time.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.