The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need Help in Sourcing custom plastic parts from China

Anything related to sourcing or importing products.

ultrasounder

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 5, 2020
USA
Hello Folks,

I am currently working on a hardware product Concept that requires me to customize a generic kitchen appliance to fit the needs of my requirements. Though I have a hardware background ( electrical engineering) I have never personally worked on sourcing anything directly from China. At work, There is always the friendly "Supply chain lady Teresa" for that. I get quotes from local and international supplier, she generates POs, POs get approved. Bada Bing Bada Boom and I have a shiny plastic enclosure for my First Article Engineering samples.

I am in the process of creating an SAAS that helps vendors switch to a subscription business(My process thread) model. This SAAS product is a Hardware/Software play and I want to customize a very generic kitchen appliance to fit it in the form factor that I have in mind. Even if I did go the route of creating a 3D model, 3D printing SLAs(Websites where you can 3D print are dime a dozen) to prove out form factor and tolerances, how do I go about locating a manufacturer say in Shenzen/DongGuan who is capable of taking my 3D model, create a mold and make this custom plastic parts for me ?. I haven't even talked about integrating the plastics with my custom PCA yet :) . Initial builds will happen in my garage for market validation/early customers.

I have not validated this idea yet, but I was inspired by another Venture funded startup doing a very similar thing. THIS would be MY validation, where I make a few MVP parts and solution sell(@MJ DeMarco term)this to store owners that want to switch their customers to a subscription model where reordering becomes automatic with the pain point of manual ordering removed from the picture. I have identified the niche market which by itself is undergoing a major shift to E-Commerce only thanks to C0VlD-19. Its just a matter of producing a parts, hook it up to the Shopify store and start selling to early adopter stores. After sufficient early adopter feedback, design iterations switch to the production mode and start making and selling at scale.

I was looking to get help from this forum from folks who have already gone down this path before. Any pointers would be much appreciated. Am very open to consultations(per hour or however You charge) to enlighten me on this path. Your process threads or links to Your product currently on market would greatly help.
Thanks for taking the time to read through this. Much appreciate it. DMs open.
Ananth

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Abard123

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 26, 2020
Colorado
Hi Ananth,

Typically, I suggest using the same suppliers for late stage prototypes as you plan to use for production. This isnt always possible, but its ideal because it gives the supplier ample time to familiarize themselves with your product. It tends to reduce errors.

Ive been working with/in China for several years. Ive recently started a sourcing business based in Colorado called 303 Global. I would be happy to sign an NDA and help you with sourcing, manufacturing, packaging, and import if you are interested. I have a full time employee in China based in Shenzhen that can do any inspections that are needed.

Thanks

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.