The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need Advice on R&D of My Product - Weightlifting Gloves

Vadim26

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Nov 23, 2018
Vancouver, BC.
Just throwing it out there to see if anyone has advice or a "know-how".

I'd like to find out the accurate shape/location of pressure applied to the palm during heavyweight exercises in the gym (mostly pushing - bench press, OHP).
Preferably, also to find out points on the palm that experience the most pressure from the weight throughout exercise.

Is there a device or some sort of material that I can put on my hand - that will help me achieve this task?

I did my research and discovered that cushion on gym/cycling gloves is mostly placed where first finger joints are, ulnar nerve and median nerve (bottom of your palm). Want to get very specific and discover the exact shape/location by testing this myself.

I was looking at the "viscoelastic foam". It's a memory type of foam.
I could get some stock from a factory, cut it to shape, and somehow attach it to my hand - lift, and observe the shape right after.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)

I'd like to find out the accurate shape/location of pressure applied to the palm during heavyweight exercises in the gym (mostly pushing - bench press, OHP).
Preferably, also to find out points on the palm that experience the most pressure from the weight throughout exercise.

Is there a device or some sort of material that I can put on my hand - that will help me achieve this task?

I did my research and discovered that cushion on gym/cycling gloves is mostly placed where first finger joints are, ulnar nerve and median nerve (bottom of your palm). Want to get very specific and discover the exact shape/location by testing this myself.

I could get some stock from a factory, cut it to shape, and somehow attach it to my hand - lift, and observe the shape right after.

You'll know what it is if your a 90's kid :rofl:

Maybe cornstarch or silly putty / play doh?

traction2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Feb 2, 2020

How about those cards that dentist use to check a bite profile. The ones you grind between teeth that leave a blue residue under pressure.

But real men don't use gloves!!!

Last edited:

Vadim26

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Nov 23, 2018
Vancouver, BC.
How about those cards that dentist use to check a bite profile. The ones you grind between teeth that leave a blue residue under pressure.

But real men don't use gloves!!!

That’s exactly what I was thinking!
Not sure how to implement it though

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Bring a better product to the market.
I don't use weightlifting gloves. My hands are calloused. When I did, though, the gloves I used were just fine.

What would make your product better? What problem is it solving that current gloves don't?

Vadim26

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Nov 23, 2018
Vancouver, BC.
I don't use weightlifting gloves. My hands are calloused. When I did, though, the gloves I used were just fine.

What would make your product better? What problem is it solving that current gloves don't?

Better design and functionality overall. Branding.

All I’m gonna say is: all gym gloves that are on the market now are too bulky or rip after a few months. There are a few other things I improved on as well.

Last edited:

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
what problem are you trying to solve?
I was wondering that myself.
Since there is an element of toughening of the hands when doing exercises, its preferable to not use gloves IMO.
Its not like you are working on an oil rig where without gloves you wont have any skin left by the end of the day...

LHXS

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jul 31, 2020
United Kingdom
What about going at it from the other direction and applying something to the bar to find out key contact points? Perhaps buy some thermochromic ink and paint some paper. Then wrap it around a cold bar. Get someone to lift.

The advantage with this is that you can unwrap the paper and quickly photograph it. The resultant pattern would make good advertising material to illustrate this to people. Might have to experiment with bar temp, ink type, hand warmth etc but it's cheap and can be done fast.

LHXS

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jul 31, 2020
United Kingdom
another thought - investgate if it's pressure or rotation that causes the issue. You could more easily rig up a bar within a tube and monitor rotational difference between the two. It could build the case for your product.

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
I wear gloves but I'm a girl who doesn't like calluses. I also have tiny hands so gloves help get a better grip on a barbell for me. I also hurt my wrist a few months ago and gloves give my wrists extra support so I don't do anything stupid again and re-injure myself.

Edited to add a comment about materials. I've seen lots of new workout equipment made with copper for it's antimicrobial and antiviral properties specifically relating to COVID19. Something to consider.

OverByte

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
May 18, 2014
Canada
Better design and functionality overall. Branding.

All I’m gonna say is: all gym gloves that are on the market now are too bulky or rip after a few months. There are a few other things I improved on as well.

There's obviously a market for weightlifting gloves but I also am not convinced a different padding material is substantial improvement over the current market. There are a lot of option out there, the comment saying "all gym gloves on the market now are this or that" is pretty naive, have you really tried all the options are you even aware of them or have you tried 2 pairs and extrapolated?

I used to wear weightlifting gloves, I didn't find them too bulky and I also lost every pair (probably 2-3) before they ripped. I eventually moved onto straps. So I'm not convinced there needs to be a material improvement for durability, but I also don't represent the entire market.

I think "branding" as a way to improve a product is a bad way to go about things if that's the only angle in your value skew. There's a huge graveyard of failed clothing "brands" that haven't figured that out. How are you going to out-brand Nike, UA, etc with these gloves?

I like the suggestion of using anti-microbial material, that is out of the box thinking and something that is on top of people's minds right now. I've never seen anything advertised like that and could give a wow factor to some people. Not sure the market size though but IMO this is the most interesting angle to pursue for this product.

OverByte

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
May 18, 2014
Canada
Since so many replies focus on the callus aspect I think it's worth pointing out that isn't the only reason people wear gloves. It may not even be the primary reason. I used to wear them because I could lift more because the bar didn't slip. Chalk has its own disadvantages and many commercial gyms don't allow it. Straps was a better solution for this use case. I liked it better than gloves because it was less expensive and I lost multiple pairs of gloves and significantly more breathable. I think the main problem with gloves is the lack of breathability not the robustness of the material. Something to think about. Again comes back to who is the target market and what is their specific problem.

Vadim26

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Nov 23, 2018
Vancouver, BC.
There are a lot of option out there, the comment saying "all gym gloves on the market now are this or that" is pretty naive, have you really tried all the options are you even aware of them or have you tried 2 pairs and extrapolated?

I did try quite a few pairs myself over the years but also extrapolated my statement to not give out things away here before I release the product.

I used to wear weightlifting gloves, I didn't find them too bulky and I also lost every pair (probably 2-3) before they ripped. I eventually moved onto straps. So I'm not convinced there needs to be a material improvement for durability, but I also don't represent the entire market.

Since so many replies focus on the callus aspect I think it's worth pointing out that isn't the only reason people wear gloves. It may not even be the primary reason. I used to wear them because I could lift more because the bar didn't slip.

Bingo! A huge value skew if we get creative.

I think "branding" as a way to improve a product is a bad way to go about things if that's the only angle in your value skew. There's a huge graveyard of failed clothing "brands" that haven't figured that out. How are you going to out-brand Nike, UA, etc with these gloves?

It's just one of my value skews. Nike, UA, and other brands are general fitness brands. There's nothing special about their gym gloves, that you can't find on other related gloves. By purely focusing on one specific category, and creating a "weightlifting gloves" brand - I stand a decent chance to be seen as an authority when it comes to weightlifting gloves.

I think the main problem with gloves is the lack of breathability not the robustness of the material.

Or what if someone could improve upon both at the same time :)

I am already knee-deep in this and not stopping until the first party starts selling in a few months.
I have a pretty unique USP too that laser-targets the problems my target market is having (people lifting heavy/gym freaks/fanatics).

I am obviously generalizing things, as to not give out everything away, hence it seems like another me-too product. I will gladly share it with you if you want, once it's out. Maybe with a discount a big discount "FASTLANE" :hilarious:

Last edited:

Vadim26

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Nov 23, 2018
Vancouver, BC.
Edited to add a comment about materials. I've seen lots of new workout equipment made with copper for it's antimicrobial and antiviral properties specifically relating to COVID19. Something to consider.

I like the suggestion of using anti-microbial material, that is out of the box thinking and something that is on top of people's minds right now. I've never seen anything advertised like that and could give a wow factor to some people. Not sure the market size though but IMO this is the most interesting angle to pursue for this product.

I think this is a great suggestion, considering the current scene. A great product to sell with Facebook ads too.
I could have this released as one of my future products under this brand.

The angle for the first product is different and more obvious, though.

Vadim26

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Nov 23, 2018
Vancouver, BC.
What about going at it from the other direction and applying something to the bar to find out key contact points? Perhaps buy some thermochromic ink and paint some paper. Then wrap it around a cold bar. Get someone to lift.

The advantage with this is that you can unwrap the paper and quickly photograph it. The resultant pattern would make good advertising material to illustrate this to people. Might have to experiment with bar temp, ink type, hand warmth etc but it's cheap and can be done fast.

I have just checked what ink it is and watched some videos.. and wow, great advice!
I am definitely giving this a try.

OverByte

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
May 18, 2014
Canada
I am already knee-deep in this and not stopping until the first party starts selling in a few months.
I have a pretty unique USP too that laser-targets the problems my target market is having (people lifting heavy/gym freaks/fanatics).

I definitely wish you luck and like that you have narrowed down the focus to a specific niche market. This wasn't clear from the earlier posts.

Since your market is the heavy weight lifting crowd, do you know many who use gloves? I didn't think gloves were popular with that group (could definitely be wrong though). I did some quick google for "gloves vs straps" and checked out some bodybuilding.com forum posts and most people are pretty against gloves (usually citing ridiculous reasons but still).

Vadim26

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Nov 23, 2018
Vancouver, BC.
I definitely wish you luck and like that you have narrowed down the focus to a specific niche market. This wasn't clear from the earlier posts.

Since your market is the heavy weight lifting crowd, do you know many who use gloves? I didn't think gloves were popular with that group (could definitely be wrong though). I did some quick google for "gloves vs straps" and checked out some bodybuilding.com forum posts and most people are pretty against gloves (usually citing ridiculous reasons but still).

If you wear gloves, make sure they match your purse, hehe.

Personally, none of my friends train with gloves, except me. Though, I only use them with certain exercises (bench press, deadlift, OHP). The reasons are - I don't want callouses, and I just feel like I have far better control over the weight when lifting with gloves (grip).

In my gym, I see about 30% of people wearing gloves - both men and women.

I have read somewhere about the study that determined the ratio of those who wear gloves and those who don't when doing heavy weightlifting. I think it was about 50/50, maybe with people opposing gloves dominating.

There are definitely more people who DON'T use gloves than those who do. They are not my target market, and I am not trying to sell to them. It' be pretty hard to convince them too.

I am not saying I know it all, the first version will serve as a "tester" to determine a good product-market fit.

OverByte

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
May 18, 2014
Canada
I'm definitely in agreement there is a good % of people who wear gloves. Was more interested in the ratio of heavy lifters who wear gloves if that was the target niche. But like you said, you'll only know for sure through testing.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
@Vadim26 I do leg raises (ab workout) on a dips machine holding my body weight on it, do feel alot of pressure down my hand below the thumb (I'm a fatty)

Do feel a bit of pain, although I'm not sure if I'd buy the glove, another pain point is the top of your palm from doing pullups/chinups, something to consider... my hands get messed up from doing that.

With everyone going nuts over corona, a marketing angle you could possibly pursue is gloves protect you from germs, and upsell hand sanitizer :cool: Just an idea

Also a glove that's use able with an iphone, seriously most people at the gym don't even workout, it's just a place where people go to take selfies and upload them on Instagram :rofl:

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
783%
May 5, 2014
Gloves are mass produced, cheap, and the overall functionality doesnt change.

Rather than target a product, target a avatar, and build a brand around your target demographic.

Starting with a product in the way you're thinking about it will generally pinhole your market and your idea generally wont end up going the way you thought it would (not a bad thing, but people pivot)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.