The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need advice on innovative fitness startup

Dmitri

Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 30, 2012
Hey guys,

I been building my fitness startup for quite some time now. You can find my original post about the site where I shared what what I learned here.

I developed lots of features and the site does many things but now I am facing a very difficult problem. I am trying to figure out what is the best way to present the site to the market.

The main idea behind the website is that we build you a personalized weight loss/bodybuilding workout and a meal plan from scratch. But on top of that we are going to have an exclusive community, and we have also have the following features:

• A dynamic and adapting workout and meal plan ( the fitness program adapts to your progress by adding/removing exercises and modifying your meal plan as you hit a plateau or need to work more on certain areas of your body and such)
  • A fitness social network
  • Diet, workout and body metric tracking tools
  • Mobile app (eventually)
  • Fitness gamification where you can win badges for completing goals and display them on your profile
  • Qualified Fitness advice
  • Workout and meal plan creation tools (with large exercise database and large food database)

What I am struggling with is how to position the company. Each one of those features can be a site on its own. The problem is that we cant be all of that.

So my question to you is, putting your self in the shoes of a potential customer in need of getting in shape, for which one of those would you most likely sign up for?

Thank you so much for any potential help. I would like to get as many opinions as possible so i can form a proper answer and marketing technique.

Thanks again,

Dmitri

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Mr.Dietsch

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 30, 2012
What is your competitive advantage? I feel your niche, fitness start up, is just too general. Who are you targeting, who is your exact customer? Men or Woman? Young or Old? Obese or Overweight? People who never exercise and want to be healthy? Or people that are already healthy and want to continue staying health? Two completely different people, and I feel you need to really nail down who your selling to first, and find out what will motivate them to open their wallets to you. Just my .02 cents.

McNandez

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Jan 3, 2013
Hey Dimitri - thanks for keeping us posted on this! i just read your initial post about your project and it was interesting to see it grow.

To answer your question, as a potential customer, I would most likely sign up for adaptive work out and meal plans. This has been the most difficult part of staying in shape for me; I'll pleateau but won't figure it out until I start feeling sluggish, and then it feels like I'm starting all over again on a fitness plan.
One thing that's helped with that is learning how to take proper measurements - if I was a potential customer, you'd have me hooked if I could buy stuff like calipers from you, and an easy way to enter the data into your site to get a workout and meal plan that will help me get to the next level of fitness.

Nomangee

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
May 11, 2012
Germany
First I would look at the bouncing rate and how much percentage on which page of your website bounces, as I can imagine the most will leave very fast on the main page.

Some indicators:

- The Videotour link is not working for me
- From my perspective the big picture with the sailing boat doesn't fit for the niche
- you should have a clear pricing on your front page and if it is possible a 7 day non paying trial or some features for free to use, so you get way more users signing up and a bigger community
- the link "Tour" is looking really good, I think most of the visitors will never see this page because of the reasons on the front page, maybe you should redesign some of the stuff on the frontpage and make it more look like the "Tour" page.

Some thoughts after a 1 minute visit hopefully I could help you.

D

DeletedUser11

Just wondering why would anyone pay 5$ a month when they can sign up for bodyspace for free which has millions of members and all the services you just mentioned ???

Just hope you know what your up against.

Good luck your site looks nice though

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
A goal setting system

A dynamic and adapting workout and meal plan ( the fitness program adapts to your progress by adding/removing exercises and modifying your meal plan as you hit a plateau or need to work more on certain areas of your body and such)

A fitness social network

Diet, workout and body metric tracking tools

Mobile app (eventually)

Fitness gamification where you can win badges for completing goals and display them on your profile

Qualified Fitness advice

Workout and meal plan creation tools (with large exercise database and large food database)

Hey,

First, I went to the website "LeanLegion" and first thing I noticed was a misspelling of "Accepting" its very large so it would be pretty noticeable

Now, if I am your customer I think the feature I would be most likely to pay for is the dynamic workout and meal plan

To me I dont need a fitness social network, I dont need a mobile app (theres no details on what this would include) so those are out. The rest are ok, but I think the one I mentioned above would be the best and easiest to sell.

With that being said I would test it. Create a sales landing page or a sales video for each aspect just explaining what it would do and offer a free membership if they sign up. See what the conversion rates are and choose the best one.

• Banned

Dmitri

Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 30, 2012
Great feedback so far. Thank you very much!

Without a doubt the mobile app is a must. See Nutrionist App link http://www.facebook.com/NutritionistApp
This is just on the nutrition side (no training) but gives you an idea of what you'd be up against.

Lol, I love intimidation posts. DreamBig, I think most entrepreneurs are scared to get into the fitness niche because its very competitive. I for one love the challenge, there is a lot of room for improvements as most apps and fitness sites out there are not very good and besides, its extremely fulfilling if you succeed to have helped so many people.

DreamBig

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Jan 8, 2013
Australia
Great feedback so far. Thank you very much!

Lol, I love intimidation posts. DreamBig, I think most entrepreneurs are scared to get into the fitness niche because its very competitive. I for one love the challenge, there is a lot of room for improvements as most apps and fitness sites out there are not very good and besides, its extremely fulfilling if you succeed to have helped so many people.

Agreed, I think going down the fitness/health path you are creating something of real value. Creating something that can demonstrate tangible results and be life-changing for people. It's more than just being about putting $$ in your back pocket. Good luck with your endeavor. Will be following with great interest :) ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.