The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My Review: AmexExpress Platinum Card

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
Some people were asking awhile back about the benefits & info on the Amex platinum card. I just got another offer in the mail, so thought I'd share with you guys what it says:

Membership fee: $450 annually

Bennies:

- A retreat while you wait for your flight:
Members, spouses, and children under 21 are offered comped access to participating Admirals Club, Presidents Club, Crown Room Club, Worldclub, locations when flying on corresponding airline operating the flight. (So you have to be flying on the airline that provides the lounge! That sucks...)

- Experience Personalized Service from Platinum Travel Service:
24/7 personal assistance and over 2200 travel service locations worldwide. (So it's a travel agency)

- Preferential Treatment at Fine Hotels & Resorts Worldwide:
More than 600 of some of the worlds best properties offer Platinum card members comped amenities, late checkouts, free breakfasts, etc at participating resorts (So it has to be a "Participating resort", which means it's almost never going to work...)

- Exclusive Privileges aboard world-class cruise lines:
When you sail for six days or longer with one of our cruise line partners, you can enjoy comped cruise privileges, including a $300 per stateroom shipboard credit or a 2 category upgrade plus other special amenities on 8 participating cruise lines (Sounds like you can get a better deal if you just shop online at vacations2go.com)

- Comped membership in three premier car rental programs:
Avis, Hertz, and National Car Rental (I already get this through my job... Most people do)

- Security when you ravel:
$500k of accidental death insurance when 100 miles from home, and the whole fare has been charged on the card. (Ok, that's not bad... but not worth $450 a year)

- A "Concierge" is always at your service -
When you need a conference room in Boston, a gift delivered in Paris, or help locating an edition of a rare classic novel, our Concierge is at your command (Yeh, how much extra does that cost? Doesn't say...)

- Reservations at Top Restaurants:
1300+ restaurants in the US and Canada, and abroad give plat card members preferential treatment (Eh, sounds sketchy)

- No pre-set spending limit
(Whoohooo! Ya, whatever...)

As you can see, I'm not really impressed with the "benefits".... Especially think it sucks that they offer you access to the red carpet rooms and such at the airports, but if you missed the fine print it says -- only if you're travelling on the club's airline....

Oh well, definitely not paying $450 a year for that garbage.

Cheers,

- Hakrjak

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Thanks for the review. I was looking into it as well. I had the same feelings when I was reading the fine print.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
Ya, I read Tim Ferriss' blog too and thought this would be hands down the biggest advantage:

"1. Four free domestic companion flights per year on flights over $299 Since I live in CA but travel a lot to NYC, I can get four free tickets for friends who want to come with me to NYC on the same itinerary. I can also barter these tickets or trade them on Craigslist, which gives me an automatic ROI of at least $1,200 on the $300 first year annual fee. If I fly to Hawaii from San Francisco, which I plan to do soon to train with BJ Penn, and barter the extra ticket –- even at a 30% discount on the “retail� prices –- the ROI will cover my expense while there." - Tim Ferriss blog

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
we enjoy the benefits of hanging out in the airline club rooms.... they come in handy especially for long trips overseas....

the "automatic upgrade" into hotel suites are NOT free... they come with a price. A couple of hotel stays became very expensive after we were treated like royalty because we reserved with the platinum card.

the travel insurance is useless if you already have life insurance... and considering the fact that most deaths occur within 10 minutes of home makes it even less useful.

and the concierge sucked... I was able to get better reservations at restaurants calling friends than I was relying on Amex concierge....

it's just another credit card, IMO

I was offered a black card, but I won't spend that kind of money... a whole big package came in the mail that was impressive when I opened it but the excitement lost its luster when I called and found out how much it was....

And , I can't stand Amex's nonchalant, high-scale, millionaire's "I don't need you" attitude.

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
I'm going to have to differ. Depends on your lifestyle, travel and entertainment habits. As a VERY frequent traveller (avg 100k miles/year for the past 11 years), it is worth it, if for nothing else other than the airport lounges. For 9 of those 11 years, I've bought the "membership" to American's Admiral's club. $330/each, or $550/couple per year. If I flew 4x/year, not worth it. 40x/year, WORTH IT!!! I rarely fly any other airline, but there are several that qualify (last time I looked)

Also, if you really want tickets to a sold-out event, or reservation at a hot restaurant, WORTH IT! Granted, it doesn't get you these things at a discount. But if oftentimes gets you what otherwise is NOT available.

There are other advantages, to my mind, but these are the main ones.

Andrew

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 8, 2007
From discussing this with friends who spend 7+ figures a year, American Express Starwood card followed by the American Express Plum are the best deals when it comes to credit cards right now.

The points from the Starwood card come to equal 2-3% cash back depending on when/where you use the points. If you are spending a lot on hotels rooms, its a must have.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
I got one with no annual fee as a business card. You can too. Same list of benefits.

I've got one too -- and I've never used a single one of the bennies, except the rewards program. Whoohooo, but every card has that ;)

- Hakrjak

MrPink

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Feb 26, 2008
Toledo, OH
Have you guys tried getting points mentioned in the Time Ferris article? I was curious if purchasing a money order filled out to yourself would be quick way to get some points.

verdoux

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 30, 2008
$outhwe$t
And , I can't stand Amex's nonchalant, high-scale, millionaire's "I don't need you" attitude.

It seems like they're trying to get away from that, tho, with the Tina Fey/Scorcese ads (Fey is kind of playing the "everyman" or "everywoman" in the commercial). Not that they're succeeding, but they're trying.

So if you get the business card with no annual fee and the same benefits, what's the point of a card that costs $450 a year?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.