The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My idea execution turned into failure...

Idea threads

bonkers123

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Jun 25, 2009
Queens, NY
Some of you might know what I do from my previous post that I sell cases mostly apple laptop cases. So I came across the idea of designing my own case for laptops but as I thought it through for about 4-6 months I decided too take action and get the materials I needed to make the case possible...It went so smoothly in my head but when I started creating it yesterday I noticed that when I applied the material on the the case itself it just did not work and that my IDEA of a new case was GONEE...I felt depressed, mad, upset, and kind of relieved at the same time that after all this thinking and doing it was not going to work BUT I can start focusing on a new business venture...I wanted too start my own unique business of selling my own type of cases and now that I now it won't work I feel like I should focus on another type of business now...I am 22 years old turning 23 in a few months and I feel my life at becoming successful is slipping away from me as I get older and older... I want to create a successful business with a good idea but I have this mental block that I cant get through of thinking of anything else but cases since I been doing it for 2 years....Any advice on what I should be thinking and doing? ( I am also attending college and deciding what I should major in..Anything majors that are good in developing products?) thanks...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
God! How I envy the youth!

Shut up! If you think your life is slipping away at the tender age of 23,

What about those of us in our 30's, 40's, 50's.

You have it all! You have time on your side! Listen, making this mistake is great! Embrace it! Celebrate it. The sooner you make a mistake, the sooner you realize what wouldn't work and can go on to the next thing!

So relax. You have many years ahead of ya! Just keep doing!

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
...I am 22 years old turning 23 in a few months and I feel my life at becoming successful is slipping away from me as I get older and older... ...

:great:

I am saying this in the nicest way possible; this is the dumbest thing I have ever read on this forum. Give me a break. Do you honestly think that by having one mediocre idea that has been overplayed for years was your path to greatness? Seriously? It takes work and time my friend. Now get back to work.

bonkers123

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Jun 25, 2009
Queens, NY
:great:

I am saying this in the nicest way possible; this is the dumbest thing I have ever read on this forum. Give me a break. Do you honestly think that by having one mediocre idea that has been overplayed for years was your path to greatness? Seriously? It takes work and time my friend. Now get back to work.

YES SIR! lol. Thanks for the encouragement? I guess I am just in denial of this and I know I have too work harder and keep going at it.. I will keep thinking and make it work =) Thanks for the help and support =)

bonkers123

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Jun 25, 2009
Queens, NY
God! How I envy the youth!

Shut up! If you think your life is slipping away at the tender age of 23,

What about those of us in our 30's, 40's, 50's.

You have it all! You have time on your side! Listen, making this mistake is great! Embrace it! Celebrate it. The sooner you make a mistake, the sooner you realize what wouldn't work and can go on to the next thing!

So relax. You have many years ahead of ya! Just keep doing!

Thanks a lot for your encouragment...You are right I have too stop thinking negative and think of it as a learning experience which it sure has been...:tiphat: Thanks.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
ok, lets take this from failure to success-

1. what have you learned?
2. what did you miss?
3. what could you have done differently that would have produced a different result?
4. what did you do well?

If all you learned was that you failed, then you truly failed.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Get a grip, I was mopping floors and digging ditches at 22.

Don't make me come over there and slap you.

bitch_slap.jpg

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
I went to create a blog and my kids were annoying me and I couldn't think and I wasn't able to design it very well. I couldn't get it to look the way I wanted it to. My life is in shambles and I guess I had my hopes up to be a millionaire some day even though I have 50 more years to try. boohoo pass the cleanex

:eusa_clap:

bonkers123

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Jun 25, 2009
Queens, NY
Get a grip, I was mopping floors and digging ditches at 22.

Don't make me come over there and slap you.

bitch_slap.jpg

LMAO! Funny pic MJ...I know I do need to get a grip I will definitely take this as a learning experience and it will help me focus on other things instead of being trapped in that previous idea for the past 4-6 months.. I will keep you guys updated on my status and keep thinking and learning along the way..

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
but when I started creating it yesterday I noticed that when I applied the material on the the case itself it just did not work and that my IDEA of a new case was GONEE...

Umm, try a different material????

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
Some of you might know what I do from my previous post that I sell cases mostly apple laptop cases. So I came across the idea of designing my own case for laptops but as I thought it through for about 4-6 months I decided too take action and get the materials I needed to make the case possible...It went so smoothly in my head but when I started creating it yesterday I noticed that when I applied the material on the the case itself it just did not work and that my IDEA of a new case was GONEE...I felt depressed, mad, upset, and kind of relieved at the same time that after all this thinking and doing it was not going to work BUT I can start focusing on a new business venture...I wanted too start my own unique business of selling my own type of cases and now that I now it won't work I feel like I should focus on another type of business now...I am 22 years old turning 23 in a few months and I feel my life at becoming successful is slipping away from me as I get older and older... I want to create a successful business with a good idea but I have this mental block that I cant get through of thinking of anything else but cases since I been doing it for 2 years....Any advice on what I should be thinking and doing? ( I am also attending college and deciding what I should major in..Anything majors that are good in developing products?) thanks...

It seems to me that since your first attempt did not work out, you gave up? If you give up on the first try, then of course you failed. Try again. It does not say anywhere that you cannot try again. Experiment, use different materials, who knows what you might discover. Maybe you will find another idea for a product or site while working on this one. I have worked on numerous products and some failed and some worked. It can be quite discouraging at times, but if you keep at it, one day everything will just come together. Remember, Thomas Edison attempted over 1,000 times creating a light bulb.
If he stopped at the 900th time, then what would of happened?

Here was his responses to his actions-"I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."

I will also try to say this lightly. Wanting to run a successful business is selfish. You (not pointing the finger at you, just in general) only care about yourself and your success.
The problem in that sentence is the word y-o-u. I had this same problem. I dreamed of running a successful business where everything was perfect.
What I have experienced from a customer point of view and from a start-up entrepreneur's view is that a customer does not give a crap about your success. All they care about is how you will solve their problem for them with the quickest and sometimes the cheapest way. Create something that will make the customer successful and you will be repaid with money and success you have always dreamed about.

http://www.thefastlanetomillions.co...-have-successful-entrepreneurial-premise.html

Good Luck! :thumbsup:

bonkers123

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Jun 25, 2009
Queens, NY
Thanks lamboman that really helped me look at what I was developing in another view..I am going to try and find other materials I can use to make what I was thinking of producing into reality, possibly not the material that I used before but another material..My question to you and everyone else on this forum is what did YOU DO after a failed idea? What was going through your head after you thought about how successful it could be but did not turn out as what you expected it be? Thanks!

Phantom309

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Feb 23, 2010
Panama City,FL
After reading your post. I'm echoing what everyone else has said. Just because your first try didn't work the way pictured it in your head does mean it's a failure and that the idea is no good. It just means you've found your starting point for this idea. Think back onto what went wrong with your first design and how you can alter it and make it work the way you need it to work.

If you don't mind me asking was it a matter of material? a lack of proper tools? or just not accounting for everything before you started? Regardless of which you have my grats on taking the first step, now is the time to step to the drawing board and make your case work for you the way you need it to work.

Good luck and PM if you have questions.

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
in own personal opinion. i don't think there is anything special about a laptop case. i know the first one didn't work, but i think the idea is a waste of time. sometimes, people stumble into a market, now if you stumbled into such market, i do ask you to pursue it. for example, let's say you made a custom laptop case, and then a friend of yours kept bugging you, so you make one for him. then his friends start bugging you through him, and you say, "fine! i will make it for you all, but it will cost you $X amount", and they said fine. then a light bulb goes off, and you start making case and selling it. great.

but to spend your precious time, experimenting with making laptop cases? come on. you can do better. listen. is this honestly the best thing you could do with/in your life to create value and help others? is this the best problem you are capable of solving? if yes, carry on. if not, tackle those other problems.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Ah.... if only you had been at BP.

We had a great presentation on.... "when to stick and when to quit"

:)

Phantom309

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Feb 23, 2010
Panama City,FL
bonkers I do apologize I said "Just because your first try didn't work the way pictured it in your head does mean it's a failure" and I meant to say it doesn't mean it's a failure

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
Why are you giving up the laptop case design? Like biophase said try a different material. Or add a material to what you already have. Here is a freebie for you. Make a GORE-TEX laptop case that is water resistant. Add some lining to the inside and you got a great product. I get a free one if you do it.
If you do that I will market it to hunters and outdoorsmen in my niche and help promote it across my network for a good commission. :tiphat:

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
just wanted to add that a lot of my bloggers take their laptops with them hunting. They blog from a deer stand or in a blind.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
My friend has a site that ranks 1-3 in google for "ipad bag" It was #1 for a while until a few days ago.

Come up with an ipad case and you can rent his site or put pads on it.

bonkers123

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Jun 25, 2009
Queens, NY
What is your friends site? Also when I finish creating me new case can you possibly help me out with it in how to market it? Thank you.

Knowledge Kick

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jan 16, 2009
New Jersey
Just jumping in this thread to let you know that you're not alone! We're the same age. I turned 23 last month, and like you, I get discouraged with each thing that I try and fail. All of these people are right though. We need to just keep on trying. After all, you don't need to be successful at everything you try.

Think about it. All we need is for ONE of our crazy ideas to work. The more crazy things we try, the better the chances for success are.

If you only try 1 thing and quit, there isn't a very good chance it's gonna work.

Now try 10 things...100 things...1,000 things...ONE of them is bound to work!

and like I said...don't forget YOU'RE NOT ALONE!

Back to work I go...:smug2:

bonkers123

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Jun 25, 2009
Queens, NY
Just jumping in this thread to let you know that you're not alone! We're the same age. I turned 23 last month, and like you, I get discouraged with each thing that I try and fail. All of these people are right though. We need to just keep on trying. After all, you don't need to be successful at everything you try.

Think about it. All we need is for ONE of our crazy ideas to work. The more crazy things we try, the better the chances for success are.

If you only try 1 thing and quit, there isn't a very good chance it's gonna work.

Now try 10 things...100 things...1,000 things...ONE of them is bound to work!

and like I said...don't forget YOU'RE NOT ALONE!

Back to work I go...:smug2:

It is hard and a lot of times I just kept on focusing on one idea and not let my self open up to all the different opportunities that are out there..However my main business is computer cases and I have been doing it for almost 2 years with a okay return but I want to start developing my OWN PRODUCT and stop being a wholesaler which a lot of my products I sell are...I feel that designing my own product and executing that too individuals who can benefit from what I created is what truly makes me want to succeed at this..I have learned a lot from you and everyone who has contributed to this post it really opened up my mindset and know that the failure of one idea is not the end of the world..there are billions of business opportunity that you can make your millions on and dedication and hard work will help get you there..Best of luck too you on your venture and business in the future

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.