The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My first ten weeks..where I go next.

Avalokite

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Aug 27, 2018
So I took the plunge and started tutoring. I am still working fulltime, with the 'joys' that brings, and being a single dad with two tweenies to raise fulltime. I am busy. Over the last ten weeks I managed to squeeze in 4-5 hours a week of tutoring which gave me an extra $200 or near abouts a week. I know I am not going to retire in a year on this revenue, but what I have found is a need. A big need. My clients/students/parents have all told me that they know of other parents that want to use me for tutoring. I am currently setting myself up to offer groups of 2-3 tutoring at a time, rather than one to one. I am also looking at offering a vaction care with a 8 hr day of activities for science/math/coding based. Initially I would offer this for 1 day and see how it goes. Seeing as I am on school hols as well, cant hurt. I am getting my skill set up to address the needs of the students I see, so its a more refined approach to assisting them. I enjoy the tutoring even though some days after working and looking after my kids I am tired to my bones, but I can see a need that is there and I am meeting that need in a small way. I can't quit work yet (sadly), plus most of my clients would still be at school. Going forward I will just listen to the market and see what it says back to me about where to go next. I scratch my head at the moment thinking about how to make this more scalable. I have thought about online tutoring or a database/directory of tutors as possible options. However I would be interested to hear what other have to say.

cheers

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
Congrats on getting paid with your side hustle!

So, both my teens work as tutors at a local tutoring biz. That biz tutors kids ages 6-18. The most profitable are kids who want tutoring for ACT/SAT college test prep.

The owner of the biz sounds similar to you: she's great at tutoring, but needs to scale. Hiring more tutors is one way to scale. Longer term, systematizing the business so it's either franchisable or so you can open multiple locations is another way to scale.

Going online is another way to scale, and seems like it'd hold the biggest potential. Yes, there are online tutoring & test-prep players, but if you can create value skew, you'll be in a big market.

bingnanxu

Take Massive Determined Action
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Mar 16, 2019
Nice on getting started! Best way out? Online, that is the ONLY way to scale fast, podcast, video, courses, something that is replicate-able, like a virus, spreads fast and duplicates itself! But Warning ahead, might be harder and tougher then what your currently doing

BlokeInProgress

Business Building Warrior
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 6, 2014
Australia
Congratulations! :) Having a side hustle and taking care of your kids afterwards is no joke and I really commend you for it.

Just my personal take on online tutorial, an instant thought that I had was, some reasons why I would send my kids to tutorial:

1. Focus - the tutor can focus on my kid and provide me feedback (personal touch).
2. It will definitely give me free time to do other things - with the kids out of the house, this is my free time.

Now, I'm not saying online tutorial won't work but its just how I first thought of the concept. Still, good luck and keep pushing forward.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.