biophase
Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
LEGACY MEMBER
MEMBER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
I decided to make this post because I've seen a couple posts in the past few months about how to speak to potential suppliers in China. I've also seen that my coaching clients seemed to have the same doubts and issues in firing off an email to them.
Now this is just my opinion, but I don't feel that it is necessary at all to pretend that you are a big or established company when you contact a factory. I don't give them any background at all. My opinion is that if some douche on the other end is not going to take my inquiry seriously because it doesn't sound corporate, then I don't want to deal with that factory either.
Also, remember that these people are Chinese and English will be their second language and are not going to understand multi-syllable words that you use to sound intelligent. You will just confuse the shit out of them. They will probably dump it into Google translate and get some weird translation.
They aren't going to be impressed by your big words and long sentences. In fact, I've found that my grammar gets worst as I communicate with them. Really if you wrote "Please send sample", this is easily understood by them. No need to put in more adjectives.
So below I captured a bunch of screen shots of my first emails to suppliers. Notice I do get quotes!
==============
Notice that although my email was somewhat poor, since my formatting didn't make it in the email, Emily still understood exactly what I was looking for in her quote.

======================
See how easy it can be?

==========================
This was an easy negotiation to not wanting to pay $200 for samples!
Notice her level of English? You cannot, type more complicated sentences here. The shorter the better!

======================
Another easy sample negotiation.

Now this is just my opinion, but I don't feel that it is necessary at all to pretend that you are a big or established company when you contact a factory. I don't give them any background at all. My opinion is that if some douche on the other end is not going to take my inquiry seriously because it doesn't sound corporate, then I don't want to deal with that factory either.
Also, remember that these people are Chinese and English will be their second language and are not going to understand multi-syllable words that you use to sound intelligent. You will just confuse the shit out of them. They will probably dump it into Google translate and get some weird translation.
They aren't going to be impressed by your big words and long sentences. In fact, I've found that my grammar gets worst as I communicate with them. Really if you wrote "Please send sample", this is easily understood by them. No need to put in more adjectives.
So below I captured a bunch of screen shots of my first emails to suppliers. Notice I do get quotes!
==============
Notice that although my email was somewhat poor, since my formatting didn't make it in the email, Emily still understood exactly what I was looking for in her quote.

======================
See how easy it can be?

==========================
This was an easy negotiation to not wanting to pay $200 for samples!
Notice her level of English? You cannot, type more complicated sentences here. The shorter the better!

======================
Another easy sample negotiation.

Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Attachments
Last edited:
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
