Read entire post before you judge. I know we all hate college posts, but I feel this needs to be said.
I've seen so many arguments about "should I go to college?" Being in the same age group as you guys, I know it can be conflicting and a little nerve-wracking to make the decision about whether or not to invest your sweet time, brainpower, and piggy bank into this institution we call post-secondary in Canada, and what Americans refer to as college. Believe me, I understand where you're coming from.
Guys, there's no "one size fits all" solution for starting a fastlane business, or in life for that matter. You can't expect other people to show you the right path because what works for them won't necessarily work for you. Sure you can get guidance from some very knowledgeable people, but that doesn't mean everything they did that got them to where they are will be right for you.
Do people who become rich have degrees?
Some do, some don't.
Do people who go to post-secondary have better standards of living?
Some do, some don't.
If post-secondary is to equip people to find jobs, why do some entrepreneurs willingly go to post-secondary even though they never plan on working for anyone else?
Ahhhhhhh....
Well, not all entrepreneurs know they want to start their own business until a while after they finish and get their degree. They find their true calling once they've finished and have had enough of their job.
But believe it or not, I've met some young dudes who have started a business, sold it for a couple big M's, and are on their way into university Why get a degree when they can clearly make money by starting a business? Everyone has their own reasons. Some guys never plan to start another one and want to enter the workforce like everyone else.
Some people though actually just love learning and want a degree for the satisfaction of mastering that subject.
Maybe they love a language, love political science, or literature, or theatre, or history etc. etc. and they just want to say "hey, I am recognized as having a credible academic background on this subject."
How many people have you seen who go to university who don't even expect to get a job, but are learning about what they love?? I've seen many.
And then there are people who want to get a good job, and are in their study because it will get them employed with a decent pay? Anyone who lives on the west coast has probably noticed an abundance of nursing students.
So is there any good reason for an entrepreneur to get a degree? Look, if it's something you want to do, then do it. If you don't really want to do it, don't. It's that simple.
I've had many people tell me I'll never succeed in business because I don't have a degree. Okay, thanks for your opinion. I don't want to go to university, so I won't.
If you want to start a multi-million dollar company, and make decisions for that company, you at least need to make decisions for yourself. Stop begging other people to tell you what to do.
I've seen so many arguments about "should I go to college?" Being in the same age group as you guys, I know it can be conflicting and a little nerve-wracking to make the decision about whether or not to invest your sweet time, brainpower, and piggy bank into this institution we call post-secondary in Canada, and what Americans refer to as college. Believe me, I understand where you're coming from.
Guys, there's no "one size fits all" solution for starting a fastlane business, or in life for that matter. You can't expect other people to show you the right path because what works for them won't necessarily work for you. Sure you can get guidance from some very knowledgeable people, but that doesn't mean everything they did that got them to where they are will be right for you.
Do people who become rich have degrees?
Some do, some don't.
Do people who go to post-secondary have better standards of living?
Some do, some don't.
If post-secondary is to equip people to find jobs, why do some entrepreneurs willingly go to post-secondary even though they never plan on working for anyone else?
Ahhhhhhh....
Well, not all entrepreneurs know they want to start their own business until a while after they finish and get their degree. They find their true calling once they've finished and have had enough of their job.
But believe it or not, I've met some young dudes who have started a business, sold it for a couple big M's, and are on their way into university Why get a degree when they can clearly make money by starting a business? Everyone has their own reasons. Some guys never plan to start another one and want to enter the workforce like everyone else.
Some people though actually just love learning and want a degree for the satisfaction of mastering that subject.
Maybe they love a language, love political science, or literature, or theatre, or history etc. etc. and they just want to say "hey, I am recognized as having a credible academic background on this subject."
How many people have you seen who go to university who don't even expect to get a job, but are learning about what they love?? I've seen many.
And then there are people who want to get a good job, and are in their study because it will get them employed with a decent pay? Anyone who lives on the west coast has probably noticed an abundance of nursing students.
So is there any good reason for an entrepreneur to get a degree? Look, if it's something you want to do, then do it. If you don't really want to do it, don't. It's that simple.
I've had many people tell me I'll never succeed in business because I don't have a degree. Okay, thanks for your opinion. I don't want to go to university, so I won't.
If you want to start a multi-million dollar company, and make decisions for that company, you at least need to make decisions for yourself. Stop begging other people to tell you what to do.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
