First, I have no financial interest, or any other interest whatsoever in 99designs. Nor do I have any professional or personally connections with anyone working with or for 99designs.
This is my 1st experience with 99designs.
For the business I'm starting, I needed a very sharp, upscale looking logo. Everything I do, including my personal appearance must look good and sharp because appearance to my clients means a lot. This is why I looked for and found professional help.
There's quite a bit to read through to understand exactly what the process is on 99designs. Do the reading.
I filled out a detailed 'design brief' on what I was looking for in my logo. They provided everything in detail to relate to the designers just what I was looking for, including any logos that I would like my logo to reflect. This is an important step since it's all the designers have to go by.
I named my 'prize contest' award. This is what I agreed to pay for the design. At this point, there is a money back guarantee. I had to pay upfront. (uncomfortable). I could have raised my 'award' at any point for whatever reason.
(1). Qualifying round. Once I put my 'contest' out there, it was a couple days before any designers started to submit their designs. I had 5 designers that presented their ideas. After 3 days, I decided to 'guarantee' the contest because I felt confident in the designer's work. Once I guaranteed the contest, there was no getting my money back.
The day after I guaranteed my contest, several more designers jumped in because they saw payment was made. Some designers 'watched' and waited, then jumped in. I think this was a strategy to see which designs I liked so they had a better idea of what to present.(yes, some copied others' ideas). I had a total of 14 designers and several 'watching'. I 'invited' one of the 'watching' designers to join my contest after looking at her portfolio. She was runner up in my final decision.
I had 4 days to choose the finalists(max 6 finalists) in this 'qualifying' round. I ended up needing more time and 99designs was happy to give me the 3 extra days I asked for. Through the entire design process I kept in contact with all the designers through 'private' messaging. Response time varied from immediately to several hours because of different time zones. Communication was critical working with the designers and time consuming.
.
(2) Select Finalists. 99designs eliminated 3 designers because of 'policy' issues..they infringed on copyright issues with parts of their designs. There is a comment section in which I, or the designers can comment and all the designers can read. One designer called out 2 others on copyright issues, providing links for proof. Due diligence had to be taken on my part so I didn't end up having royalty fees to pay someone for a part of my logo. I used Google Image Search and TinEye to search my final 3 logo designs.
3) Choosing a winner. I had 14 days to choose a winner. I used 7 days, had the designers make some changes, and did my research for copyright infringements.
4) Design Handover and Design Transfer Agreement. Be sure to read and understand this process. It's really not complicated but important.
Bottom Line: I paid $299 for my logo. No hidden fees or costs. All the designers were great to work with. 99designs was very helpful the 2 times I called. I will use them again if I have a need.
Referrals: My winning designer was 262 Kento, and runner up Rosislawa. They were very patient with my MANY requests, professional, creative, and prompt.
This is my 1st experience with 99designs.
For the business I'm starting, I needed a very sharp, upscale looking logo. Everything I do, including my personal appearance must look good and sharp because appearance to my clients means a lot. This is why I looked for and found professional help.
There's quite a bit to read through to understand exactly what the process is on 99designs. Do the reading.
I filled out a detailed 'design brief' on what I was looking for in my logo. They provided everything in detail to relate to the designers just what I was looking for, including any logos that I would like my logo to reflect. This is an important step since it's all the designers have to go by.
I named my 'prize contest' award. This is what I agreed to pay for the design. At this point, there is a money back guarantee. I had to pay upfront. (uncomfortable). I could have raised my 'award' at any point for whatever reason.
(1). Qualifying round. Once I put my 'contest' out there, it was a couple days before any designers started to submit their designs. I had 5 designers that presented their ideas. After 3 days, I decided to 'guarantee' the contest because I felt confident in the designer's work. Once I guaranteed the contest, there was no getting my money back.
The day after I guaranteed my contest, several more designers jumped in because they saw payment was made. Some designers 'watched' and waited, then jumped in. I think this was a strategy to see which designs I liked so they had a better idea of what to present.(yes, some copied others' ideas). I had a total of 14 designers and several 'watching'. I 'invited' one of the 'watching' designers to join my contest after looking at her portfolio. She was runner up in my final decision.
I had 4 days to choose the finalists(max 6 finalists) in this 'qualifying' round. I ended up needing more time and 99designs was happy to give me the 3 extra days I asked for. Through the entire design process I kept in contact with all the designers through 'private' messaging. Response time varied from immediately to several hours because of different time zones. Communication was critical working with the designers and time consuming.
.
(2) Select Finalists. 99designs eliminated 3 designers because of 'policy' issues..they infringed on copyright issues with parts of their designs. There is a comment section in which I, or the designers can comment and all the designers can read. One designer called out 2 others on copyright issues, providing links for proof. Due diligence had to be taken on my part so I didn't end up having royalty fees to pay someone for a part of my logo. I used Google Image Search and TinEye to search my final 3 logo designs.
3) Choosing a winner. I had 14 days to choose a winner. I used 7 days, had the designers make some changes, and did my research for copyright infringements.
4) Design Handover and Design Transfer Agreement. Be sure to read and understand this process. It's really not complicated but important.
Bottom Line: I paid $299 for my logo. No hidden fees or costs. All the designers were great to work with. 99designs was very helpful the 2 times I called. I will use them again if I have a need.
Referrals: My winning designer was 262 Kento, and runner up Rosislawa. They were very patient with my MANY requests, professional, creative, and prompt.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
