The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Music - Bad (?)

Anything related to matters of the mind

Stepan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Sep 17, 2022
Russia
Hey Stepan

Music can be good or bad, it just depends on you, and it also depends on the type of music you're listening to

I usually listen to music when I'm reading and when I'm working out at the gym, it allows me to focus twice as better
Although I admit it becomes distracting sometimes, that's why I don't really hear music when I'm working/studying anymore

Do what is best for you bro ;)
How do you listen to music and read at the same time, that feels like a mixer in my brain. I'm really interested how that works for you

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Stepan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Sep 17, 2022
Russia
From my experience as a programmer, music definitely decreases my ability to concentrate, think clearly and solve problems optimally, especially if I start listening to it from the beginning of the workday. I've also noticed that it decreases my motivation to do hard things
Fax man! So do you just do everything in silence or do you have some ambience sounds?

Stepan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Sep 17, 2022
Russia
I think it's because it distracts us from the true purpose of our life. And especially lately it sometimes is immensely filthy and brainwashing.
Yes, I can see that, interesting

Nazca

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
May 3, 2023
France
I do think this is an interpretation. My girlfriend is muslim and told me that music isn't forbidden as long as you do not forget to read Quran or listen to the suras / call for prayer.

The main thing would be to be careful that music itself doesn't take the place of the religion. Of course everyone is free to do what they want. I would be curious about your opinion and the reason why music is forbidden!

You have all my benevolence and I wish you a happy and successful life and faith.

EDIT: I didn't see your response because it was at the 2nd page and I didn't see. I understand the purpose!

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016
I have an intense love/hate relationship with music. On the one hand, it's an outlet for me to feel, express, and process so many different emotions.

On the other, it tends to depress me like nothing else can.

When it comes to work, however, I like listening to old & slow jazz/50s pop. It satisfies my brain without overexciting me to the point I forget I have work and start dancing my a$$ off or fantasizing about random stuff.

Miha99

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Apr 21, 2022
Try not listening to music at all for a month.
The first time you play a song it's going to stimulate you like cocaine.
At this point we are just numb, if you think about it the kind of music electro/Techno nowdays did'nt exist even 40-50 years ago.
I think it did'nt exist in the 80s.
And most of the Hollywood music scene is built to dumb down people for sure and stimulate as much as possible without providing a deep senae of meaning in the lyrics.
I would cut it off , or at least be carefull what I listen to, and listen maybe once or twice a week to music.
It is like a drug, it Releases dopamine.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Music serves me when I walk or exercise. It distracts me from stopping the exercise due to discomfort.

Prdgy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Mar 27, 2023
How does it help you? Can you give 100% to a workout if you are also trying to understand the podcast?
Sure can! I don't really rely on music to hype me up anymore. I see a set and smile, and listen to the pace of the conversation to control my breathing during sets. It takes a while to get used to but once you can do it, you're going to be pumping knowledge in your brain and pumping iron with your muscles.

Count Fluffernut

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
May 11, 2023
Hi everyone!

Been on a monk mode for some time and have a question about music. Should you stop listening to it?

Is it bad because it's easy dopamine? You can't really focus while listening to music. And if your really think about it, there's no development in it.

If you are listening to a podcast, an audiobook or just in silence with your thoughts - you are getting better, can't say the same for music. Although I really enjoy it, I think it's just litters your mind.

What do you think?
Think it depends on our overall lifestyle in general to be honest.

There were moments in my own life when things were going great and I could listen to a sad-ish song and it was easier to feel gratitude around it, but during harder spells that same song could tear you apart. It depends really.

I'm a mad music fan and music maker but during work times (especially now working on a small startup) having music on in the background annoys me, instead enjoy it during ten minute breaks etc. I also have some form of ADHD (but most of us do these days anyways, right) and people with ADHD have been shown to struggle with multiple things stimulating their brains at one time, music really makes this part difficult for me.

Pick your moments/pick your fights probably. I don't listen to my favourite artists music much these days because he passed away and it upsets me too much, this then distracts me from the daily shit that needs doing (the current dilemma lol).

Music is emotional, or at least great timeless music is, thats what makes us feel connections to it in the first place, even if it simply gets us moving our heads to the groove or whatnot. Business and every day work stuff is rational, so its about trying to seperate the two.

Fluffernut.

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

Hi everyone!

Been on a monk mode for some time and have a question about music. Should you stop listening to it?

Is it bad because it's easy dopamine? You can't really focus while listening to music. And if your really think about it, there's no development in it.

If you are listening to a podcast, an audiobook or just in silence with your thoughts - you are getting better, can't say the same for music. Although I really enjoy it, I think it's just litters your mind.

What do you think?

Why not leverage it according to what you're doing?

Contemplation? => Classical Music (except Rite of Spring) or Godfather Soundtrack

Work? => LoFi or Rainforest Sounds

Gym? => Death Metal (sorry, no alternatives here)

Relaxing? => Hawaiian Uke (Also no alternatives, this is required).

Sleeping? => Please don't listen to anything. If you do, you're manic.

I am half serious.

Akpama Boris

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Jun 8, 2018
I agree with you, there is no upside to listening music. You just reprogram your mind the way the musician intended to

Stepan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Sep 17, 2022
Russia
UPDATE:
It's been almost 20 days and what helped me is listening to Minecraft music. It's chill and makes me Greatful. It feels really nice seeing sun beaming through birch leaves.

Today, after not listening to music for almost a month now, I listened to "Wow freestyle" and it's euphoria. Like WOW. Music is powerful, man

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.