• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Trading Life for a Weekend?
    Build a Business, Build a Life.
    Unleash the Dream.

Become an UNSCRIPTED™Entrepreneur.

UNSCRIPTED™ Entrepreneurship is an entrepreneurial business strategy that unleashes dreams, frees time, and explodes your incomes—but more importantly, it changes your life forever. Make no mistake; this isn’t something you “try”— this is something you live.

FREE Download (Unscripted) FREE Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

FORUM SEARCH

Need answers about entrepreneurship? Search FIRST! More than likely your entrepreneurial topic has already been discussed.
Powered by Google Site Search.

Multifamily Returns - MTM Leasing vs. Airbnb ?

Discussion in 'Real Estate Investing' started by JAWS, Nov 13, 2017.

1. JAWS

JAWS Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $133
    How do returns compare for a yearly lease vs. Airbnb business?

I have a 3 flat in Chicago and want to get the most "bang for my buck." I came across this...
    Airbnb Rental Profit: $16,632
    Airbnb 2-Bed Rental Data (June 2016 - May 2017)
    Fulll-time 2-Bed Rentals: 556
    Occupancy Rate: 63.5%
    Average Daily Rate: $181

Rental Revenue:
    90th Percentile: $55,337
    75th Percentile: $38,541
    Median: $28,393

Zillow Data (April 2017)
    Zillow Annual Rent Cost 2 Bedroom: $21,909

And this: https://gizmodo.com/i-bought-an-apartment-just-to-rent-it-out-on-airbnb-1458666661 Has anyone done this?

ruzara5 likes this.
  2. LateStarter

LateStarter Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $5,093
    GlobalWealth likes this.
  3. The EL Maven

The EL Maven New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $106
    I stayed at a house off airbnb who was using this model. She bought the house as a foreclosure dirt cheap and appears to be cashflowing extremely well. It really made me think that there's now another way to do real estate and that today's prices aren't so outrageous - potentially, it all depends.
    There is one big caveat, and that is if you go that route, you forfeit an element of control. Should Airbnb get some bad press, it could affect you, if someone leaves you a terrible review and you get kicked off, etc.

ruzara5 likes this.
  4. WJK

WJK Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,031
    I rent out sleeping rooms and RV Full Hook-up Spaces via Airbnb, other services and privately. Sometimes I have also rented out some of my units, with furnishing, on a short term basis. You have no idea how beds I've changed and bathroom/kitchen I've cleaned over the last couple of years. And then there's the laundry -- sheets, towels, etc -- and keeping up the property in general. Be ready to work hard. I know, I know -- you think that you're going to hire someone. Go for it. Been there -- done that. Have that ticket stub. When they don't show up, you get to do the work! Period. End of story. And Airbnb can pull the listing any day, so you'd better have a Plan B. The city can zone you out. Someone can totally trash your property. Stuff happens and you have to be ready for that possibility. That's the down side.

The up side is that you can hoard every dime that you make on renting those units, and use that money to pay off the principal on your mortgage nut -- major debt reduction. Those side income streams aren't my core business, so it's gravy money (I call "dribble money") that I use for investments and debt reduction. It can be a really good ride while you hang on tight to the profits...

JAWS and ruzara5 like this.
  5. JAWS

JAWS Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $133
    Agreed. This is a big risk. I don't control the distribution channel for potential guests. There are a few companies in Chicago that have done BnB and short-term corporate rentals for years before Airbnb. It seems like finding a direct channel for Bnb's or corporate travelers would decrease risk. Thank you!

6. BrandonS85

BrandonS85 Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,790
    It's certainly legitimate as long as you're able to hit medians or above medians. We're looking at doing a 4-8 unit AirBnB development type deal, but in our case the data is pretty limited.

Try locating furnishings, rent a unit out for 3-6 months and see how it goes. As long as you're not critically short of cash it'd be a good project to test.