The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

"Mr Robot" Series Finale *spoilers*

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 3, 2013
The big reveal was....

...I didn't get it. I guess I will have to rewatch it again. Maybe that was their goal.

First, they teased that Hacker Elliot survived the nuclear explosion and woke up in White Rose's "parallel universe".

Then, they teased that Hacker Elliot was dying and Happy Elliot was his "Jacob's Ladder" movie (aka Tibetan Book of the Dead).

Then, they teased that Hacker Elliot was a dark fantasy by Happy Elliot.

Then, they teased that Hacker Elliot and Happy Elliot were part of a "simulation" made by "them".

Then, the "simulation" was made by the Architect (he's available since the Matrix wrapped filming)

Then, they teased that Hacker Elliot had dreamed up almost everyone he cared about, and was back to dying a-la "Jacob's Ladder".

Then, the music stopped, they ran out of time, and we were left with the last idea, so I guess he died, and went to Heaven with his dream family to watch the movie about his life.

Anyone know WTF happened in the finale?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em96LEJrcBU

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
The big reveal was....

...I didn't get it. I guess I will have to rewatch it again. Maybe that was their goal.

First, they teased that Hacker Elliot survived the nuclear explosion and woke up in White Rose's "parallel universe".

Then, they teased that Hacker Elliot was dying and Happy Elliot was his "Jacob's Ladder" movie (aka Tibetan Book of the Dead).

Then, they teased that Hacker Elliot was a dark fantasy by Happy Elliot.

Then, they teased that Hacker Elliot and Happy Elliot were part of a "simulation" made by "them".

Then, the "simulation" was made by the Architect (he's available since the Matrix wrapped filming)

Then, they teased that Hacker Elliot had dreamed up almost everyone he cared about, and was back to dying a-la "Jacob's Ladder".

Then, the music stopped, they ran out of time, and we were left with the last idea, so I guess he died, and went to Heaven with his dream family to watch the movie about his life.

Anyone know WTF happened in the finale?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em96LEJrcBU

Elliot suffered from Dissociative Identity Disorder (multiple personality to laypeople). No news there.

The twist was that the Elliot we have come to know is really just another alternate personality that was spun up shortly before the show began, when Elliot was trapped in the server room as an InfoSec consultant. All the rage and fear caused him to create another personality which the other alters call The Mastermind.

The Mastermind created another personality to keep him company, called the Voyeur. That's the audience.

You only see the Mastermind in the show. Host Elliot has been pushed aside while the Mastermind finds his place in Elliot's team of personalities. During the show, Mr. Robot and the Mastermind fight for control.

The final shot is the Mastermind stepping aside, so host Elliot (the original personality) can take control again.

Last edited:

juggler619

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
May 25, 2015
Abu Dhabi
Elliot suffered from Dissociative Identity Disorder (multiple personality to laypeople). No news there.

The twist was that the Elliot we have come to know is really just another alternate personality that was spun up shortly before the show began, when Elliot was trapped in the server room as an InfoSec consultant. All the rage and fear caused him to create another personality which the other alters call The Mastermind.

The Mastermind created another personality to keep him company, called the Voyeur. That's the audience.

You only see the Mastermind in the show. Host Elliot has been pushed aside while the Mastermind finds his place in Elliot's team of personalities. During the show, Mr. Robot and the Mastermind fight for control.

The final shot is the Mastermind stepping aside, so host Elliot can take control again.

Well explained - The final shot is the Mastermind stepping aside!

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016

The final shot is the Mastermind stepping aside, so host Elliot (the original personality) can take control again.

Right from the start. You can see the recurring loop "The Other" put the real Elliot in. The wedding, etc... You were just born yesterday.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
We, the audience, are also one of Elliot’s personalities that Mastermind Elliot talks to. The show ends because we, along with the Mastermind are letting go and finally letting the real Elliot take over. It’s brilliant.

AdamMaxum

a worthy successor indeed
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Apr 30, 2011
NY
I didnt hate the last few episodes...it was an interesting way to end everything. I suppose the current storyline really ended with white rose killing herself and the rest was just elliot trapped in his mind while in a coma and finding out who he really was while he recovered from the last event.

We got to see what the "real" elliot was like in the world the mastermind trapped him in. I wonder what it would be like to come to after locking away your real self for so long while going through those types of traumatic events.

TKDTyler

The Tea Guy
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Aug 25, 2014
Sam has master class story telling and character development - the whole show is thematically ties around mental illness. If you look at every main character in the show, each embodies some variant of mental illness.

Elliott + co: DID (among a slew of other things)
Angela: Depression
Vera: sociopath/psychopath
Dom: social anxiety
Darlene: Anxiety/Panic
Tyrell: Delusion & paranoia

And white rose: white rose is the parallel to Elliott - she is the mirror to his reality with an alternate form of DID, maybe not completely true to its nature, but there metaphorically. Zhang was the shield to her white rose who would protect her from the harsh realities of the world. Zhong’s goal was to create a better world in which the true self could live and be free without harm.

additionally, She was completely focused on creating an escape from the prison of life which looks seemingly perfect from an outsiders perspective, just as MMElliot saw in his depiction of the prison he built and the personality of the real Elliott - white rose wanted what Elliott had constructed in his mind, but as we saw, it was idealistic and not truly real. The only thing that is real was symbolized by Darlene throughout the season (hand holding, etc)

These every aspect, these illnesses defined who they were as characters and personalities. It plays into their decisions and the audience judges their actions based on their worldview, just as we do in every day life. It really made me stop and think about the way we interact with people every day , and the mask that many people wear day in and day out.

who are we to just people when we have little knowledge about what is going on? We empathized for MMElliott because we understood what he was going through, but in the end, we, the observers, are just as much of a personality (see: trigger) for people than their own mind.

my take: let’s leave people better than when we found them.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I actually watched the last season without much investment in the story.

I found myself watching to catch a glimpse of the cinematography and writing which I found to be absolutely phenomenal.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.