The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Morning reading routine?

Anything related to matters of the mind

allen0879

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
384%
Sep 21, 2018
When many successful business leaders are interviewed they say that they wake up early every morning to read newspapers like WSJ, NYT, The Economist, etc. Anybody else do this? Should I read a newspaper? Do you think these people read newspapers when they were busy starting up their businesses?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
When many successful business leaders are interviewed they say that they wake up early every morning to read newspapers like WSJ, NYT, The Economist, etc. Anybody else do this? Should I read a newspaper? Do you think these people read newspapers when they were busy starting up their businesses?

WSJ. I read it intermittently throughout the day.

I use audiobooks in the car over music pretty much 100% of the time that I am alone in the car.

I read ebooks or physical books before bed.

I still feel like I don't read enough.

JohnForte

Software Engineer Ninja
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Dec 12, 2019
New York
I don't really believe in having a morning routine unless it has a purpose IE: waking up early to get more hours of the day. Or listening to podcasts to learn to do something.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
I like to read/scan a few papers each day.

Tend to stick to UK ones so The Times, Telegraph, Guardian just for a variety in political bias.

I don't tend too look at US ones such as WSJ as world events would have been covered by The UK ones and I don't want to know things too specific to US (or any other country)

However, reading the papers informs one of other events that could be put away in the data bank so they are not just for the boring things.

eg WSJ (Thanks @Kak ) (I am not subscribed so can't see the full articles) has 3 reasonably interesting things on it's home page that may plant a seed.

1) Seniors want to go back to class. Universities want to sell them Real Estate. Aging middle class educated population growing and nearing retirement. College bound Graduates declining. Universities are planning on building/converting Accommodation for the elderly to live on campus. Great idea if you think about it.

2) YouTubes young stars feeling burned out - due to the relentless need to provide new content for Algorithms. Maybe you could help them out eh?

3) 18th Century Tavern in Queens (New York?) has a colonial dining experience with no electricity. Sells Out Lightning Quick.

Dan

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
The WSJ is pretty much politically balanced left and right. But leans statist over liberty.

Just know what is going on and form your own opinion. The spoonfeeding in this country is pretty gluttonous.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I don't really believe in having a morning routine unless it has a purpose IE: waking up early to get more hours of the day. Or listening to podcasts to learn to do something.

Lol this is the second post I have seen from you today that made me raise an eyebrow.

Way to be a rebel bro.

JohnBuffet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Feb 9, 2017
NJ
WSJ. I read it intermittently throughout the day.

I use audiobooks in the car over music pretty much 100% of the time that I am alone in the car.

I read ebooks or physical books before bed.

I still feel like I don't read enough.

Good post, thanks. I really need to up my audiobook game in the car. Do you use audible?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Good post, thanks. I really need to up my audiobook game in the car. Do you use audible?

Yes and Scribd. Like them both. I use the audible credits when scribd doesnt have what I was looking for.

JohnForte

Software Engineer Ninja
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Dec 12, 2019
New York
Lol this is the second post I have seen from you today that made me raise an eyebrow.

Way to be a rebel bro.

Not a rebel, I just think that isn't benefiting you in some way, is it worth it? Obviously, if it brings happiness and joy to you, or gives you a better mindset then I am all for it. I seen too many just have a routine to have a routine, ending it as fast as it starts.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I wake up early each morning -- I get up around 6 AM. I worked on my bookkeeping and paperwork for my businesses for a bit. I stretch at my portable ballet barre while I watch DVDs of old funny shows. I love to start my day with a good giggle and a heartfelt laugh. Then I go open my office and conduct my construction meeting. I want to be in a good mood when I tell a bunch of rough-cut construction guys what work to go do for the day. My husband reads our local paper in the mornings to see who we know in the police reports. That's his laugh for the morning. I'm not sure that the major newspapers are a good use of your time. And they might actually depress you or give you bad information. But, what would I know? I've been officially retired for about 20 years.

Ismail941

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 7, 2019
When you control your morning by morning routine, the whole day will be in your control.

Jeff Bezos: "I like to putter in the morning"

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I avoid the papers and TV news unless I'm looking for ideas or inspiration. If there is something important going on it will come to my attention by a third party.

I see it as a distraction with no real purpose (whatever is happening will happen with or without my input). Everything is slanted towards misery as that's what sells papers (if it bleeds it still leads) and I just don't what that negativity in my life.

If your business depends on being up to date which domestic or international affairs I get it. Fortunately mine doesn't.

I'd much rather spend that time working, reading or listening to something productive or spending my time with a loved one.

knowledgebeast

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Sep 22, 2019
Yverdon-les-Bains, Switzerland
I avoid the papers and TV news unless I'm looking for ideas or inspiration. If there is something important going on it will come to my attention by a third party.

I see it as a distraction with no real purpose (whatever is happening will happen with or without my input). Everything is slanted towards misery as that's what sells papers (if it bleeds it still leads) and I just don't what that negativity in my life.

If your business depends on being up to date which domestic or international affairs I get it. Fortunately mine doesn't.

I'd much rather spend that time working, reading or listening to something productive or spending my time with a loved one.
That's exactly why I haven't been following the news in the past few years. Hearing about people getting offended at political figures while they can't do anything about it, hearing about all those "shocking events" sounds soo ridiculous to me. It's sad to so how people put so much focus and energy on things they have absolutely insignificant impact on.
I'd rather read books to get better at what I want to do (copywriting), read non-bs mindset books (relentless or mastery), listening to some solid podcasts, occasionally watching valuable long-form content on youtube (Alex Becker's last series, Gary Vee's keynote on attention), or getting into rabbit holes on the Fastlane Forum.
And all of that is only acceptable when you're already putting in some kind of effort and work regularly, otherwise it's just action-faking. Don't quit your job to spend weeks reading, read in the evenings/mornings while saving money.
Reading newspapers can be valuable, to spot opportunity. But do it when you're in a position where you can act on those opportunities.

That's it. Basically how I think about it. I may be wrong.

Hope my rambling isn't too bothering :)

allen0879

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
384%
Sep 21, 2018
I try to avoid most TV news. I just don't think it's a good use of my time and they over-exaggerate and hype everything up.

I would like to read something to get exposed to new ideas and keep up with business, markets, etc

I read a lot of books already. I don't think I'll have the time to read a daily newspaper like the WSJ. I already check news blogs like TechMeme.

Maybe I'll sign up for weekly news magazine trials and see how that goes. I'm going to start with the Economist and Bloomberg Businessweek.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.