The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Morning coffee

Rokit1210

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Jul 11, 2019
United Kingdom
I read about and hear from people who get a boost in the morning to kickstart their day and it comes from their morning coffee. 'How can you not drink coffee? I couldn't cope without my morning brew' etc.

The, trouble is, I HATE coffee (and tea) and I'm not a morning person whatsoever. It seems to take an age for my brain to start firing on all cylinders, sometimes way past lunch.

I was wondering if anyone had any alternatives I could try? I won't be trying energy drinks due to the sugar/crap content but I was wondering if something like pro plus would provide an early morning kick start? I do a fair amount of night shifts too so this would be helpful to see me through those too.

I've read about yerba mate as well which is similar to tea, so I might try that soon but I was hoping someone may have some first hand avice or recommendations.

Perhaps I've identified a need... or maybe I'm just a bit of an oddball.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
It's simple.

Wake up.
Drink three glasses of water.

(Works when you get brain fog during the day, too.)

If that's not enough, drop down and do twenty pushups.

That said, when people say they wake up groggy I always wonder if it isn't a matter of waking up earlier.

I am groggy if I oversleep, if I sleep 6 hours I wake up like ready to go.

Napoolion

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Feb 8, 2014
I read about and hear from people who get a boost in the morning to kickstart their day and it comes from their morning coffee. 'How can you not drink coffee? I couldn't cope without my morning brew' etc.

The, trouble is, I HATE coffee (and tea) and I'm not a morning person whatsoever. It seems to take an age for my brain to start firing on all cylinders, sometimes way past lunch.

I was wondering if anyone had any alternatives I could try? I won't be trying energy drinks due to the sugar/crap content but I was wondering if something like pro plus would provide an early morning kick start? I do a fair amount of night shifts too so this would be helpful to see me through those too.

I've read about yerba mate as well which is similar to tea, so I might try that soon but I was hoping someone may have some first hand avice or recommendations.

Perhaps I've identified a need... or maybe I'm just a bit of an oddball.
Well, the best would be to fix the sleeping schedule. Most people should be sleeping from 10 pm to 6 am. This should match with natural cortisol levels. Another thing for energy in the morning is light excercise to get things going. Listen to some eye of tiger or something and get yourself pumped up. I have noticed a great increase in productivity on days like that. The problem for me is if I ruin the schedule (like a birthday party or whatever the reason to stay up late), I find it hard to get back to it since I just won't fall asleep in the schedule again.

There are tons of supplements too though what might help. I skip breakfast, food makes me a little sleepy, but skipping breakfast gets me to a light ketosis where you can get some focused work done. I take rhodioal rosea on empty stomach. In the afternoon I eat another super food, eggs and bacon. Then I take all the other necessary vitamins like omega-3, calcium, magnesium, multivitamins, green tea extract with healthy foods. I live in a place where it is pretty dark most of the time, so these things do help a lil.

Best time for caffeine then would be 1pm. Caffeine half-live is 5 to 6 hours. Drinking it later might affect your sleep the more day goes on.

broswoodwork

Intermediate User of the Flying Guillotine
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015
I'm a coffee guy, though I'm actively reducing my intake. I have heard that eating a crisp apple first thing wakes you up better than a cup of coffee.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I'm a coffee guy, though I'm actively reducing my intake. I have heard that eating a crisp apple first thing wakes you up better than a cup of coffee.

Interesting. I've reduced my caffeine intake right down to two 16oz cups a day. I don't know if I need it first thing but it is a habit/ritual I go through as soon as I head downstairs in the morning.

I have heard good things about Kombucha Tea (its not like regular tea) but I don't know if it has a stimulating effect.

If you really want to wake up first thing in the morning then a cold shower would probably be the best option.

Brewmacker

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 17, 2019
The Netherlands
During my shredding regime I take 200 mg caffeine pill pre-workout stimulant. This is mainly to maximize the effectiveness of my work out when starting at 5 am. That being said I drink it down with two big cups of coffee and it works. I have never felt any adverse side effects.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Do try mate My Argentinian is showing
Message me if you need help on how to prepare a good one :D

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
Exercise and meditation would be the first things I'd try.

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
My dad is always telling me that drinking coffee every day reduces the body's natural ability to use adrenaline to wake you up.

My only evidence for the validity of this statement is anecdotal but a few months ago my coffee tolerance was nil from being in Japan and never drinking string coffee.

I definitely woke up with a lot more gusto. That slowly faded as I went back to the coffee regimen.

I've been thinking about cutting down the coffee intake again soon. Would be nice to not have to consume anything to get going.

foodiepersecond

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 2, 2019
Atlanta, Georgia
Sipping my bulletproof coffee as I read this. As far as tea, do you hate EVERY single flavor of tea? There are like hundreds. I am sure at least one should be good to you.

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
you could take theobromine, its a xanthine alkaloid like caffiene (found in chococlate naturally), or just caffiene pills.

IMO if you dont like coffee or tea just get a solid morning ritual thats stimulant free, glass of water, breakfast with a lean protein, maybe a glass of OJ and a short run to get your ticker going.

Now you say you don't like tea but have you actually had a cup of black tea made with proper loose leaf?

drink yourself a cup of something like this and I think maybe you'll find yourself back on team tea , if the only tea you've ever had is the swill that comes in bulk finely shredded tea bags trying a real loose leaf may as well be trying a completely new beverage

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
Why do you need anything at all? It's not a requirement to have a tea or coffee.
Have a glass of water and get on with your day...

Non-problem.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Make sure you're sleeping well (eg: you're able to breathe at night and not waking up from snoring or something). And try going to bed an hour earlier. No lights on, no TV or iPad in bed. Just sleep.

That's what people need. At one time I would have been one of those "coffee achievers," (I drank pots of the stuff per day) but I can tell you getting good sleep works better than any chemical ever will. You don't need caffeine as a crutch.

Rokit1210

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Jul 11, 2019
United Kingdom
Wow!
So many replies, thanks for all your advice.

So, day one and I was in bed for 10.30pm and woke up an hour earlier than usual so only had 7 hours instead of my 8+.
Once awake I've had a couple of glasses of water, exercised a bit (a few push ups etc)
And so far with my extra hour or so, I've meditated, listened to one of my pod casts, put the bins out, produced a tenancy agreement for our new tenants and filed some paperwork I've been meaning to do but 'never had time'.

It seems too simple and I can't believe ive never implemented any of this before, but I think we're on to something here! Simple changes... kind of ties in with the Atmoic Habits book I'm reading at minute. Thank you so much for taking the time to offer your opinions and thoughts.

NCNY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Mar 26, 2019
Try a cold shower as you wake up.. I mean really cold shower, cold enough to make you start jumping around and almost scream

It takes time to get used to it but in my opinion the benefits outweigh the 1 minute discomfort

Strategery

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jun 25, 2019
I haven't been able to drink coffee for several months due to a duodenal ulcer. Before that I drank 2-3 cups per day.

Doing exercise of some sort (yoga for me) and drinking plenty of water first thing in the morning has helped tremendously. I'm at the point where the coffee isn't bothering me as much now, but I really don't miss it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.