The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

More slowlane drivel from the Washington Post

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Jason "GrandK"

Bronze Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jun 17, 2018
Pacific Northwest
Wall Street loves this article.

Another 401K millionaire who will live like a pauper for the remaining 40 years of his life. Who retires at 55?

What is retirement, anyway? It is a made up word for scarcity thinkers from days gone by who feared there would be no jobs for the younger generations, so they created this imaginary thing called "retirement" to get the elderly out of the way.

So, the people with all the "know how" retire and are replaced by incompetent youth who have never proven themselves. Smart plan.

"The rest of his investments are split between 60 percent stocks and 40 percent bonds, consistent with the playbook that most financial experts recommend for someone in his 50s and 60s."

Every day he will wake up and check the market to make sure his "precious" is still there. What a way to live, in fear every day that the market will correct. And guess what, a correction (crash) is inevitable. Sorry Gilbert, you are screwed. You may have to un-retire soon.

The guy is 55. So he worked 30 years to retire for 30 years?

Wait until he finds out that sitting around in your PJs all day watching talk shows or reruns or golfing with the other "old folk" is not very fun. He will be bored in no time. Then what? He can't touch his principle and so no vacations for Gilbert.

And Gilbert is the best example provided in that article. How depressing.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ

Jason "GrandK"

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jun 17, 2018
Pacific Northwest
Yup, why spend your savings on fun, enjoyment, and life when you can give it to Wall Street for 50 years?
You can just see how the article preys upon the "unprepared". Here is Gilbert, 401k millionaire, all set in retirement. But if you have not started preparing for retirement, you need to start saving like crazy, i.e. give Wall St even more of your money! And you better not choose conservative investments, time to put it all on red.

Then it talks about Gilbert taking small vacations, nothing too big. Really? Gilbert may never have lived and he certainly won't start living in retirement, living off a 3% annual draw from his nest egg.

And to top it off, Gilbert is going to self-insure. Why pass along the risk to an insurance company when you can keep it all to yourself? After all, he has been taking on all the risk his entire life by giving all his savings to Wall St. Why change up in retirement?

Depressing stuff. No wonder so many Americans have lost hope.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jan 23, 2011
Screw traditional retirement. Why do we "have to" one day stop making money? Just adjust your business' time needs to fit your wants. Business is part of my leisure. I go where I want and do what I want.

I'd rather have a jet and a membership to river oaks while making a few phone calls a day than being retired at some reclusive mountain cabin spending 17k per year after healthcare.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DustinH

DustinH

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 24, 2017
Nashville
“Somewhere between 40 percent to 60 percent equities is a great place for most folks entering retirement age,” said David Blanchett, head of retirement research at Morningstar Investment Management. But you can even get riskier. “Assuming retirement is going to last 30 years, I think 70/30 stocks to bonds could be more aggressive.”

It's a great plan. Then, in about 18 months you can lose about 30% of your money in a crash and never get it back. Sign me up. Please, Wall Street experts, please take my money from me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Thanks for sharing. I want a course to optimize for other than Google engines.
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Welcome to 2020, I wanted to add in a quick note about gratitude for the new year...

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock