The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  • Self-Promotion Saturday Now Live!

Have something to sell? Want to promote your design service or a YouTube channel? SELL-ME SATURDAY is your opportunity to self-promote anything within the sphere of entrepreneurship on one thread... and at no cost. Go There
    Note: Indiscriminate SEO backlinking to questionable material is not allowed.

Modify/Improve a Patented Item

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

pamaboy

New Contributor
Jan 19, 2021
Hi all,

I'm finishing up reading UNSCRIPTED at the moment (it's been an amazing journey through every page) and have some questions in Chapter 35. Here, MJ explains 13 ways of finding the 'fastline' ideas. #13 discusses improvement (and removement) opportunities. I've had a couple of ideas on improving some items in the past, but was very hesitant to pursue the idea because I was not sure how I find out if the modifications that I'm thinking of is an infringement of the patented items.

What really defines a patent infringement and how much modification is needed to avoid it? I hate the idea of giving up a modification thought just because I'm scared of a patent infringement, but at the same time, I don't want to violate anything (ha).

Any inputs are welcome. Thanks in advance! :)

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

TheKingOfMadrid

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 14, 2020
You need to look at the patent and see exactly what it covers. They can be very broad as in application or they can be quite specific as in design. You can usually search for the patent through the various online resource portals.

A product based angel investor worth their salt would have a rough guess too, if you can find one with enough time to help you.

pamaboy

New Contributor
Jan 19, 2021
You need to look at the patent and see exactly what it covers. They can be very broad as in application or they can be quite specific as in design. You can usually search for the patent through the various online resource portals.

A product based angel investor worth their salt would have a rough guess too, if you can find one with enough time to help you.
Thanks for the response! The thing is, so many patents are very vague and as you mentioned, covers the application which makes any modification difficult without impacting the patent itself. I guess cleanest way would be to not deal with patented items in the first place. (But it seems like every little thing in the world is patented in this era lol)

TheKingOfMadrid

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 14, 2020
Thanks for the response! The thing is, so many patents are very vague and as you mentioned, covers the application which makes any modification difficult without impacting the patent itself. I guess cleanest way would be to not deal with patented items in the first place. (But it seems like every little thing in the world is patented in this era lol)
Yes and often purposely so the ambiguity may be used against competition later on.

But I think if you really majorly altered a product in both design and function and had a cheap prototype, people would be willing to help you more with the patent stuff.

There can be quite a few variables when it comes to patents.

pamaboy

New Contributor
Jan 19, 2021
Yes and often purposely so the ambiguity may be used against competition later on.

But I think if you really majorly altered a product in both design and function and had a cheap prototype, people would be willing to help you more with the patent stuff.

There can be quite a few variables when it comes to patents.
Got it, thank you for the valuable input! :)

BrianLateStart

Bronze Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
Jun 11, 2019
Horseheads, NY
As mentioned it's difficult to find out how well it's protected unless you have someone very familiar with patents look it over. Even if your expert decides that you can make your modification a certain way and it won't violate the patent, the patent owner may disagree and you could be in for an expensive battle to prove it doesn't violate it.

Patents are expensive and you have to patent it in every country you want it protected. is it worth it to enter it in a market in another country where the patent isn't covered?

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Thanks for clearing that up. What do you recommend for those who are still in the process of...
MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
I thought I would post up the first video from the newest 2021 program content... Just a...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
I have not offered one of these in a while, but it looks like I have time to take on an...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Hi Lex, I looked at several options including Kajabi and settled on the Divi theme on Wordpress...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Are you looking for a new, lesser-known but potentially very lucrative source of leads to your...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
The story is BASED UPON a true story. The details aren't entirely accurate or from a distinct...

Forum Sponsor

Grow an online business:
- Start immediately!
- Master business skills!
- 100+ Fastlane students enrolled!
Review & Details >

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers