The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Mobile site maker

ClintonSkakun

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Mar 26, 2011
D
Ok, this has been done before by lots of major companies, including Google.

I've been thinking I want to do something with mobile. I've been developing websites for nearly 10 years or less and have lots of experience in the tech industry. Therefor I have lots of inspiration for writing copy, blog posts, etc. and I think the two design firms I contract with might be able to sell it to their customers.

I'm not jumping into this just yet but here's a quick draft of my plan:

- Create a mobile website creator service that allows anyone without programming experience to build mobile sites for their company or brand.
- I want to pin point some pain areas with the current services and create a unique offering. Maybe talk with some fellow developers and bounce ideas off them, see what insight they have.
- First I would create a compelling launch page(or maybe more of a alpha site with only copy and design--lean startup style). Then I would create an awesome press release and buy dist. through PRweb. Send the release to large tech magazines like TechCrunch and Smashing Magazine. Also, get some people involved on Twitter. Set up a blog and start pumping out articles, talk about it on my current blogs. Get involved in the JQuery mobile community and get the Processwire community interested(framework I'd be developing it on) Discuss it with my design firms and get them involved in selling it to their clients. Send out some newsletters to a few small lists I have. I also need to be very active in any competitors communities always hearing complaints or just contributing to the conversation. I want to make a massive splash before the service is even active.
- If the market likes what I'm doing, I'll begin building the backend of the service. Continue sending out press releases whenever something great pops up, like a beta launch.

How fastlane is it?
Entry: To be successful I need TRAFFIC. Therefor a strong brand presence in the community is required.
Time: Everything can easily be automated down the road.
Need: There's a huge market for mobile now days and it's only growing.
Control: Revenue would be based on the service I sell.
Scale: This is something, if executed properly, has a massive scale.

Pricing would start at $9.99 per month to $39.99 (will tweak these) depending on the package. I need to come up with some better margin numbers. Things such as hosting, tech fees and potentially hiring support staff are realistic to factor in as a start.

To make a profitable business out of this, say $25,000 / mo gross I'd need 2700 - 3000 monthly paying customers at $9+ each. Assuming that I get a 1% turnover from traffic (could be more) I'd need at least 400,000 - 600,000 visits (considering drop off rate, not sure of averages) to get that many customers.

Ok, before I waste more time. What do you guys think? Need some eyes looking over the idea before I decide to jump in. Maybe there are a bunch of things I'm overlooking.

Appreciated in advance! :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.