The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

MJ's Limo.com website

LukeSidewalker

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Oct 7, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Hi MJ and to all the fellow members,

Obviously, Im new to this forum. I have ejoyed your book MJ, and think it should be required reading for every high school grad, It's one of the best books I've ever read and I have many books! I've enjoyed reading many of the member posts but will take a few weeks to get thru all of them and maybe more, lots of great info! I do have some questions though in regards to MJ's initial Limos.com website. MJ or members how did you/he get the leads dissemenated to the limo companies, ie). the consumer to the owner of the business thru the website? If this is posted somewhere please, let me know. Also, where did you advertise for the website? I hope no one gets offended from me asking these questions but I'm a 43 year old sidewalker wanting to get off it and I'm sure I'll have many more in the future.

Thanks, Jeff

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ageofz

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Aug 30, 2011
Austin, Texas
I'm assuming that MJ either used a lead distribution system to deliver leads to clients and manage the billing, there are online services that do this, or he could have developed his own.

MJ likely got a majority of his traffic organically through search engines. So SEO was probably his most valuable investment marketing wise. His second traffic source was probably through his affiliates.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Dont rule out the great domain name.

garyfritz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 16, 2011
Colorado
MJ likely got a majority of his traffic organically through search engines. So SEO was probably his most valuable investment marketing wise.
Remember this was in the late '90's. The google.com domain didn't even get registered until late 1997. Search engines were still in the infant stages at that point -- Lycos, AltaVista, Excite, etc were all jostling for a share of the "market" (which wasn't much of a market since nobody had figured out how to make a profit). Nobody used the term SEO before 1997. Back in those days you just used relevant page titles and stuck some meta tags in your HTML, and I think that's about as fancy as almost anybody got.

Probably his domain name and a listing in Yahoo were his biggest online lead-generators.

adiakritos

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
May 30, 2011
His book talks about having excellent customer service as the biggest key factor in advertising.

LukeSidewalker

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Oct 7, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Thank you to all for the replies! I'm trying to learn my process I guess. The terminology is new to me. Ageofz, how would you add a lead distribution software system to a web site, this is how clueless I am to all of this?

Thanks again to all and stay tuned I have many more questions!

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
Just wanted to say you have a awesome profile name!

ageofz

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Aug 30, 2011
Austin, Texas
Remember this was in the late '90's. The google.com domain didn't even get registered until late 1997. Search engines were still in the infant stages at that point -- Lycos, AltaVista, Excite, etc were all jostling for a share of the "market" (which wasn't much of a market since nobody had figured out how to make a profit). Nobody used the term SEO before 1997. Back in those days you just used relevant page titles and stuck some meta tags in your HTML, and I think that's about as fancy as almost anybody got.

Probably his domain name and a listing in Yahoo were his biggest online lead-generators.

Perhaps they contributed when he first sold his biz after the tech boom, but I am very confident most of his traffic was organically through search engines the second time around. Google says there are 1.5 million local searches a month for limos (2.7 million globally). MJ said that his reach was limited to 50k visitors a day potentially (50k * 30 days month = 1.5 million locally) to 100k a day (which we see he has now expanded Globally, so this is also possible). He got 12k-15k visitors on average. Top results get ~50-60% of the clicks. It's reasonable to say that he has a presence in about 80% of the most populated cities in the U.S., and probably 50% of them are in the top spot. Some math would suggest 50k*.8*.5*.5 = 10k people came to his site a day through SEs.

ageofz

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Aug 30, 2011
Austin, Texas
Thank you to all for the replies! I'm trying to learn my process I guess. The terminology is new to me. Ageofz, how would you add a lead distribution software system to a web site, this is how clueless I am to all of this?

Thanks again to all and stay tuned I have many more questions!

Adding one can be as simple as making a form and inserting it to your site while the leads are managed by someone else's distribution software or as complex as creating databases and entire CRM systems. It all depends on your needs and skills.

LukeSidewalker

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Oct 7, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Adding one can be as simple as making a form and inserting it to your site while the leads are managed by someone else's distribution software or as complex as creating databases and entire CRM systems. It all depends on your needs and skills.

Ageofz,
Hey man, thanks for all the info really, I appreciate all of it! You obviously know webstuff and business. Me I know nothing about web sites etc.

Thanks, Jeff

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Also, where did you advertise for the website?

I did everything. Adwords, SEO, Affiliates, a mix that everyone should be doing.

or he could have developed his own.

It was my own.

Dont rule out the great domain name.

People don't realize that I bought the domain in the secondary market, not at GoDaddy for $15. Also, the value of the domain name in terms of traffic was way overestimated on my part - it simply wasn't that impactful -- the domain simply made the brand stronger.

but I am very confident most of his traffic was organically through search engines the second time around.

I don't remember the exact amount, but it was a significant amount, perhaps 40%.

how did you/he get the leads disseminated to the limo companies, ie).

It was automatic and consumer selected via directory search. Why is this relevant? What I did 10, 5, or even 3 years ago really isn't relevant today. I included things in my book that I thought were timeless to my success ... the fact that I advertised on X search engine in 2006 is really irrelevant. What worked for me 3, 5 years ago won't work today.

People who seek to make it big on the internet have to understand this simple truth: The online landscape is constantly changing and things that work today, won't work tomorrow. Lifetime "passive income" on the web is a misnomer; passive income via the web occurs in stretches only. If you try to turn a stretch into a lifetime, you'll business will end up dying as the online landscape changes but your business doesn't.

LukeSidewalker

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Oct 7, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
MJ,
I just want to say thanks to you and all the forum members for the replies back! I seriously have little knowledge of the internet as a whole, I think elementary school kids have more knowledge than me about the net! I have a few ideas and a great deal of education that I have to go through so I'm just asking as many questions as I can at this point. What I may do is create a thread in the future with ALL the questions that I do have at the moment about taking an idea to an actual business. If there is a thread out there please point me in those directions. Thanks again to all.

Jeff

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.