The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

MJ DeMarco and Real estate?

bellavita

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Nov 11, 2020
Hi everybody, I'm reading MFL and I've seen that MJ DeMarco indirectly call out rober kiyosaki as a fake guru and that his lessons are not valid as a fast line approach. But also in chapter 29 he says that real estate investment its a fastline way. I'm personally really into learning real estate and i feel a little bit confused by reading the book about this topic. I'm from Italy and real estate here is bad, so my goal is to start real estate in Australia from scratch in the future, in the meantime I'm learning sales and marketing as a skill. Is this a valid option to start as a business model (more like an investor model) or its better to have a lot of money in the bank first.( robert kiyosaki philosophy its to use bank's money to start real estate)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Dominik_M

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jan 29, 2018
Hi everybody, I'm reading MFL and I've seen that MJ DeMarco indirectly call out rober kiyosaki as a fake guru and that his lessons are not valid as a fast line approach. But also in chapter 29 he says that real estate investment its a fastline way. I'm personally really into learning real estate and i feel a little bit confused by reading the book about this topic. I'm from Italy and real estate here is bad, so my goal is to start real estate in Australia from scratch in the future, in the meantime I'm learning sales and marketing as a skill. Is this a valid option to start as a business model (more like an investor model) or its better to have a lot of money in the bank first.( robert kiyosaki philosophy its to use bank's money to start real estate)
Well, "real estate" is just as little fastlane as "software".
It depends on your specific execution.
Just buying houses on the banks money? What's your exact plan to make money with it? Speculate that the prices go up over time? Are you credible enough that banks would give you a lot of money right now?

There are many ways to build a fast lane using real estate for sure. Just have a look at Donald Bren, Stephen Ross etc.
It's certainly possible.
Just like in any other industry.

bellavita

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Nov 11, 2020
Well, "real estate" is just as little fastlane as "software".
It depends on your specific execution.
Just buying houses on the banks money? What's your exact plan to make money with it? Speculate that the prices go up over time? Are you credible enough that banks would give you a lot of money right now?

There are many ways to build a fast lane using real estate for sure. Just have a look at Donald Bren, Stephen Ross etc.
It's certainly possible.
Just like in any other industry.
Of course, I'm just trying to see whats the best strategy to adopt first before taking any actions in the future, I think its risky as much as building a business without money. The banks still need to see if your business model is good and I don't see the difference with a house loan. Of course I'm not obsessed with one idea, if its not a valid option to have for a fastline way, I will easily shift with another topic. I would to see what everybody and maybe even MJ DeMarco thinks about this

Kokaka

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Aug 9, 2019
I think its a great idea and something Im interested in exploring in the future. My idea is to buy villas and convert them to student living spaces because where I live, there is a major housing crisis.

A villa here is about 300k. You can build the house to fit 6-7 students who pay 500usd a month. Thats 36k - 42k a year from the investment and the villa is still there and will increase in value over time.
Have a few of theese houses and hire people to maintain and organise the renting process and just put in excess profit that you don't need and as such evade paying tax.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
My opinion on Real Estate and how it fits into a Fastlane type of plan is best demonstrated what @Envision has accomplished. He is in the US, so I don't know how his experience would translate to Italy or AUS.

As for RK, my issue with him is that he is a personal brand and a seminar hustler/guru first, and a RE investor second. If you want RE advice, there are 1000's of better "coaches" than RK, including some here, guys who walk the talk and aren't selling their gist in $50,000 trainings.

RE is one of many roads.

For me personally, I found RE to be supplemental to my Fastlane engine, but not the primary vehicle. I prefer things to be a bit more granular with mass, versus magnitude.

Good luck my friend!

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

Just curious about you starting in Australia, do you you intend to become a citizen of Australia to invest? If not, how do you plan on doing it there?

bellavita

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Nov 11, 2020
My opinion on Real Estate and how it fits into a Fastlane type of plan is best demonstrated what @Envision has accomplished. He is in the US, so I don't know how his experience would translate to Italy or AUS.

As for RK, my issue with him is that he is a personal brand and a seminar hustler/guru first, and a RE investor second. If you want RE advice, there are 1000's of better "coaches" than RK, including some here, guys who walk the talk and aren't selling their gist in $50,000 trainings.

RE is one of many roads.

For me personally, I found RE to be supplemental to my Fastlane engine, but not the primary vehicle. I prefer things to be a bit more granular with mass, versus magnitude.

Good luck my friend!
Thank you for the response, I will look out @envion about his work and I get your last point about granular versus magnitude.
Keep up the good work MJ

bellavita

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Nov 11, 2020
Just curious about you starting in Australia, do you you intend to become a citizen of Australia to invest? If not, how do you plan on doing it there?
I did some research and I saw that in Australia is easy to get work, easy to save up a lot of money from a regular job and to start a new life against other countries that i know of. I also picked up Australia because the government wants to rise to 100 million of people living there ( now is 25 million) and that is synonymous of growth in my opinion. Italy is dead and even if my dream was always to come to USA, I still try be objective and not follow my passion but instead opportunities. So my answer to you is I'm trying to follow opportunities.( I'm open to criticism about this)

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I did some research and I saw that in Australia is easy to get work, easy to save up a lot of money from a regular job and to start a new life against other countries that i know of. I also picked up Australia because the government wants to rise to 100 million of people living there ( now is 25 million) and that is synonymous of growth in my opinion. Italy is dead and even if my dream was always to come to USA, I still try be objective and not follow my passion but instead opportunities. So my answer to you is I'm trying to follow opportunities.( I'm open to criticism about this)
I was just curious because foreigners can only buy new construction or they must live in the real estate that they purchase. Which is why I can't purchase anything there as an investment.

Bruno11

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
May 18, 2020
Sydney
Good luck in your journey.

Bit of info to help you in your decision:

Coming from someone who lives in australia, if you’re planning on doing what american gurus preach with cash flow and buying duplexes, it doesn’t exist here.
Real estate investing is every mums and pop’s national sport here and the “aussie dream”.

You won’t find “deals” or “fixer-uppers” that people get discouraged by, because everyone knows the value of the land and will plow head first into it even if they can’t afford it , even if that means taking out a “interest-only” loan.

I know ”buying a house you can’t afford“ happens everywhere but i don’t think it quite reaches the levels of stupidity that australians resort to due to the prices.
It’s not uncommon for a couple in their 30s both earning 70k a year to take out 1.3k+ mil loan just to have the “house”.

We don’t have earthquakes, natural disasters and our minimum wage is very high But so is the cost of housing and “life” itself. Pretty much every house in the main cities being in the 700k- 1 million dollar range if you’re looking at the “safe” suburbs within an hour drive to the city. A new era has begun post covid where even cities out in the sticks now are gaining value.

Every house is over the threshold of having to be negatively geared and used merely as a tax offset for 150k+ workers where they lose money every week renting it out holding out for capital gains.

But if your plan is to be a real estate agent and be on the other side of it all , there’s definitely money there, and all of this just makes for a better % of a comission for you if you’re good at it.

Last edited:

SWB

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Mar 12, 2013
Sydney
Good luck in your journey.

Bit of info to help you in your decision:

Coming from someone who lives in australia, if you’re planning on doing what american gurus preach with cash flow and buying duplexes, it doesn’t exist here.
Real estate investing is every mums and pop’s national sport here and the “aussie dream”.

You won’t find “deals” or “fixer-uppers” that people get discouraged by, because everyone knows the value of the land and will plow head first into it even if they can’t afford it , even if that means taking out a “interest-only” loan.

I know ”buying a house you can’t afford“ happens everywhere but i don’t think it quite reaches the levels of stupidity that australians resort to due to the prices.
It’s not uncommon for a couple in their 30s both earning 70k a year to take out 1.3k+ mil loan just to have the “house”.

We don’t have earthquakes, natural disasters and our minimum wage is very high But so is the cost of housing and “life” itself. Pretty much every house in the main cities being in the 700k- 1 million dollar range if you’re looking at the “safe” suburbs within an hour drive to the city. A new era has begun post covid where even cities out in the sticks now are gaining value.

Every house is over the threshold of having to be negatively geared and used merely as a tax offset for 150k+ workers where they lose money every week renting it out holding out for capital gains.

But if your plan is to be a real estate agent and be on the other side of it all , there’s definitely money there, and all of this just makes for a better % of a comission for you if you’re good at it.
Following on from Bruno, as an Australian, I am not sure where you got your information from but Australia is a very expensive place to live. Not only that, you won't get in unless you satisfy the skill gap test, meaning only people who are qualified in certain areas will be allowed in. I met a young lady last week who is 30 yrs old. She has just purchased her first 2 bedroom unit (home) in Sydney - her mortgage - $1.5 million - her and her BF salary, $162,000. This is not the place to make a bucketload of cash out of flipping real estate.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
You also have to pay stamp duty every time you sell which takes away a lot of margin and also everyone and thier dog owns 3 houses here which are “negatively geared” meaning they lose money on them to pay less tax??? Not fastlane. USA and Canada seem like much better places to make money in real estate.

However I will say in general incomes are good and if you aren’t in a main city rent should be affordable, my impression is that that is not the case in USA? Minimum wage is around $20 maybe $25 I’m not sure exactly.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I've been in the RE business here in the USA for 44+ years. It's a long-haul business -- not a get-rich-quick sprint. I'm not sure that real estate will take you where you want to go.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
You can get a visa as a tourist and also work part time in Australia. But if you want to turn it into anything long term the employer has to justify why they need to hire a foreigner..pretty much the same issue everywhere.

Australia is a favourite destination for Singapore investors to buy real estate, 30 percent downpayment, 5 percent loan interest and 5 percent rental yield. The high rental yield is what is driving the interest.

Australia currency and the entire economy is too highly correlated with the global commodity business.

Godmode

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Jan 3, 2021
Interesting journey, do you have any updates?
You could look into becoming a real estate agent (mainly for the experience), getting a working holiday visa and reading up books about real estate while the pandemic lasts...
Keep in mind that real estate is a get rich slow business, and as others already stated in this thread, it's harder to buy a house and get loans if you are a foreigner

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.