The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

MINIMALISM: The Master Mindset (And why some people get it wrong)

Anything related to matters of the mind

Mulsanne

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
May 4, 2016
Brazil
What if you had ONE guide line, that solves every problem you could possibly face?

If you have been on the road to the Fastlane for long enough, you probably faced a lot of books, videos, concepts, seminars, threads... All kind of information, that sometimes even contradicts each other.

You have been through lots of feelings too: Fear, anger, selfdoubt, happines, pride, despair, creativity, creativity block...

You also faced a lot of situations you didn't knew how to handle: Your girlfriend thinks you're a lunatic; your family thinks you are an idiot that doesn't wanna work; you think about creating a business every night and still don't know what to do; you started your business and was a total failure; you started another business and it was a total success...

And for all these informations, feelings and situation, you always find someone that shares a motivational line specific about that topic:

"You are afraid of starting you business?": "You miss all the shots that you don't take!
"Your friends thinks you're a loser?": Get rid of them, you need champions on your side!
"You Failed?": That's learning. Theres is no failure, just feedback!

What I'm suggesting to you now is to condense all these things that you learned in ONE CONCEPT:

The Minimalism

If you ever heard about Minimalism, you probably think about donate your clothes, sell whatever you have in home that you didn't use for the last 2 months, and don't buy anything expensive.

Well, that's the first impression we get, but believe me: This is not Minimalism.

Minimalism is way more powerfull than that. It's something you can apply in every aspects of your life, and once you start, it only gets easier and easier.

I will give you now the Introduction in this first chapter, then I'll talk more about the mindset and specific subjects on future posts.

CHAPTER 1.0

Minimalism, and How To Start
It's all about the mindset. Start looking at your environment and look for things that you haven't used or you really don't need, that's the first step. Start small, only in you bedroom for example.

Try to free yourself from distractions that ocupy space. Donate them, sell them or just throw them alway. After you get rid of 30% the objects of your bedroom, it will become sober and cleaner and you will notice an increased productivity.

Try it also with your phone. Uninstall apps that you downloaded to "boost your productivity", stay with just the important ones. Clean your computer files too, optimize everything.

When you make you life simple, you can focus on the really important quests. The more goods you have, the more it will drain you energy.

Soon you will notice that most of the advices you hear, are simply telling you: Be Minimalist and keep it simple!

Examples:

Situation : You're worried that the business you just start will fail.
Commom advice: "Don't give up! Focus on what you have to do and don't worry about failing."
What the "commom advice" is really telling you: Make it simple, throw alway the negative thoughs and focus on the proccess.

REMEMBER: Free yourself of the useless. Focus on what matters.

Don't get it wrong:
What isn't Minimalism: Don't buy a lambo! You must be like a monk, don't buy expensive things!

What Minimalism is actually about: Don''t buy stupid shit. Eliminate all distractions of your life, so you can have time to give value, buy your lambo and have lots of fun with it.

That's my first post, I hope you like it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Empires

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Jan 12, 2016
Planet Earth
Great first post. If you aren't laser focused you end up distracted and lose productivity.

That is how people get stuck without making real progress. Focus is the key element here.

Good method for those who struggle with focus to improve it.

Luke.

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jan 13, 2016
Great post. Reminds me of the book Deep Work by Cal Newport.

eliG.

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Feb 15, 2016
TEXAS
The practice of cleaning my dorm room before leaving for the day in Highschool has really taught me a lot. Building good habits like the ones you mentioned really stack up in your favor.
Another one is taking your trash with you every time you leave your car. I've gotten into people's cars before that the passenger seat is just full of fast food paper bags, cups, just all kinds of trash that needs to be moved out of the way just so I can get in. Living clean really does go a long way because it gets into your mindset.

I heard this great quote yesterday it really stuned me. I heard Creflo Dollar say, "your behavior become the foundation of your identity"
This can be applied to all areas of life. In this case if your constantly messy eventually your gonna just accept that your a messy person and continue down a bad path.

Thank you!

Mulsanne

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
May 4, 2016
Brazil
Great Post. Thank you!
Glad you liked it!

Best first post I've ever seen.
Thanks man! I love your threads. Always inspiring and very informative.

Great first post. If you aren't laser focused you end up distracted and lose productivity.

That is how people get stuck without making real progress. Focus is the key element here.

Good method for those who struggle with focus to improve it.

I'm with you. People usually don't see that they are having their time and focus drained by stuff that isn't really usefull, at all. And it's not only possessions, but also habits, relationships, even their diet. I'll write more about ir soon.

Great post. Reminds me of the book Deep Work by Cal Newport.
Thanks! Haven't read it yet. Gonna check it.

The practice of cleaning my dorm room before leaving for the day in Highschool has really taught me a lot. Building good habits like the ones you mentioned really stack up in your favor.
Another one is taking your trash with you every time you leave your car. I've gotten into people's cars before that the passenger seat is just full of fast food paper bags, cups, just all kinds of trash that needs to be moved out of the way just so I can get in. Living clean really does go a long way because it gets into your mindset.

I heard this great quote yesterday it really stuned me. I heard Creflo Dollar say, "your behavior become the foundation of your identity"
This can be applied to all areas of life. In this case if your constantly messy eventually your gonna just accept that your a messy person and continue down a bad path.

Thank you!

I think that quote is totally true. Grant Cardone says something like this one of his vídeos, when he talks about "Be The Boss". As you said, if you're constantly messy, you accept you're messy person, but if you become the boss of your own life, and take care of things like a boss, keep your car clean as if you're the boss, act as the boss... You eventually become the boss.
Thank you for your post!

limitless_c

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
248%
Apr 29, 2016
Chile
Yes!

This, at least for me, its very very important.
A clean room and a clean work space can do amazing things, this also applies for every part of your life like you said. A lot of people thinks that a minimalist room means that you are boring or that you dont have a life, they cant be more wrong.

When you get to your room and you wonder why your room is so empty ,thats when you remember, I have work to do.

jazb

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Nov 24, 2013
The U.K
Fantastic, has to be a god send for business if you acquire that mindset. just being able to cut through all the crap and get the job done.

D

Deleted39936

I'm an obsessive minimalist after spending the last decade traveling and working from you laptop. I love this advice. Collect experiences and connections that matter and don't waste anything but don't keep anything superfluous either. Wonderful advice.

domi99

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
May 13, 2014
Awesome post.

That's what I try to explain to my wife ever since we life together. Unfortunately she doesn't get it.

I'm looking forward to reading chapter 2.0.

Mulsanne

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
May 4, 2016
Brazil
Yes!

This, at least for me, its very very important.
A clean room and a clean work space can do amazing things, this also applies for every part of your life like you said. A lot of people thinks that a minimalist room means that you are boring or that you dont have a life, they cant be more wrong.

When you get to your room and you wonder why your room is so empty ,thats when you remember, I have work to do.

Agreed. It's also kinda hard to make a mess in your room if you have only a few things. It will stay clean without any effort to keep it that way.

Fantastic, has to be a god send for business if you acquire that mindset. just being able to cut through all the crap and get the job done.

Thank you so much!

Put this together with the habit of expressing gratitude, you'll now have a clear mind and solid motivation. Perfect first thread, waiting for the next part!

Exactly. Having these good habits can change your life so much.

Once again, this forum proves its value by the quality of posters it attracts (and the posts they post).

Thank you for this. I'm happy to read a post like this from an awesome poster like you.

I'm an obsessive minimalist after spending the last decade traveling and working from you laptop. I love this advice. Collect experiences and connections that matter and don't waste anything but don't keep anything superfluous either. Wonderful advice.

That's the idea. Digital nomads that live like you mentioned are very familiar with the concept of minimalism. They are probably the people who most enjoy the benefits of Minimalism. Thank you for your post!

Awesome post.

That's what I try to explain to my wife ever since we life together. Unfortunately she doesn't get it.

I'm looking forward to reading chapter 2.0.

Minimalism is so easy to apply for people that had the curiosity to learn about, but looks so hard to people who doesn't have interest on it. For most people, it looks like privation, when in reality it is the exact opposite, it is freedom. Thank you!

Mulsanne

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
May 4, 2016
Brazil
Thank you guys, I'm loving to see all the positive support!
I made some writing mistakes on Chapter 1.0; but I'm not editing it. I will be more carefull from now on.

This Chapter will be long, but powerfull! And have THE BEST definition of the perfect mindset at the end. Hope you like it...

CHAPTER 2.0

The Master Mindset

I call it The Master Mindset not to grab attention, or to make a good impact on the first impression, as we learn in copywriting. I choose to call it with a reason:

Minimalism does not contradict what you have learned until now!

Before I start reading TMF , I was really into Minimalism. I had donate probably 50% of my clothes, and throwed alway almost everything in my bedroom. I had a broken TV that didn't turned on for months on my desk! What the hell I was thinking about? Why I didn't fixed or got rid of it before? It was a useless big black screen, ocupying precious space.

Well, I got rid of that (I didn't watched TV when it was still working anyway), and a lot of other stuff too.

That solved all the mess in my room, gave me more space, freedom, and became a much more clean room.

"It worked!" I said.

Soon, I started to apply the same concept in every other part of my life. I started to face situation I didn't knew what to do, so I just thought "Hey... if it worked on my room, maybe it will work now as well"

And it did!

I started to guide my actitudes considering the concept of Minimalism.

The idea was:
Don't overthink and complicate things. Look at your goal, and what you have to do in order to achieve it. Ignore the rest.
If you have the chance do learn something new, or to do something good for yourself or other people around you, do it.

So if I was at a bar, I would choose my food in 5 seconds. I just looked at the menu to find something I have never eat before, and order it.

If my girlfriend asked me where to eat, I just thought about any place I haven't eat before and go for it.

If someone asked me if she can borrow one of my Harry Potter books, I just gave her all of them. I buyed it when I was a kid and haven't read it for years. I really don't need it.

If I was just about buying something stupid, I would think for 5 seconds and realize "I don't really need that shit, I can use that money to start my business when I have an idea" (Was an Wantrepreneur but didn't knew it yet).

By doing that, I could have new experiences, help people, and learn new things everytime.

Then something changed...

Until that time, I knew I wanted to be an entrepreneur, but didn't knew it sooo bad. But at the end of 2015 the Millionaire Fastlane hited me. And it was the best book I've ever read. I came to this forum, youtube, blogs, everything I could find about and I learned a lot about concepts I've never heard before. NLP, copywriting, digital nomads, everything related to the Fastlane or business, online or offline.

And the obvious would happen:
I thought "If Minimalism has worked until now, of course it will work to guide me as GPS on my Fastlane journey".

And it has been working until now. It cleared my mind, made me think sharper about my goals and results, and increased my sales as a realtor. My plan now is to start selling at Amazon FBA soon.

Minimalism has really changed my life, as well as TMF . I hope to help you all as gratefullness.

And if I had to define the perfect Mindset to succes in one phrase, I would say that:

"The Millionaire Fastlane is the Sniper, Minimalism is the scope."

________

Thank you.

Mulsanne

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
May 4, 2016
Brazil
CHAPTER 3.0

A Brief Comparison...

Imagine that you need to walk a monkey from Point A to Point B. You set a chain belt on it's neck and start walking... The problem is: The monkey is wild... it's deaf... and it's on cocaine...

It's crazy... after 20 minutes, you didn't even left Point A, because the monkey is freaking around. It runs, jumps where it cans, and bite you when have the chance.

You know what you objective is: it's Point B!

But you cannot make a progress...

Well, your mind is pretty much like this monkey.

It works 24/7, nonstop. Thinks about everything, everytime.

Even when you're sleeping, it can't stop working, and you have the most nonsense dreams.

That's why some people meditate, to tame this monkey.

By meditating, you start to have control over your thoughts and your mind. You start to think sharper and assertive.

In other words: Your monkey calms down, and start walking by your side.

But where is the connection with Minimalism?

Your life works like this as well. If you have a lot of distractions in your life, you're pretty much like the guy with the monkey.

You know you wanna reach Point B, but you're not going that way because you're so distracted playing around and doing desnecessary things.

When you eliminate the bad habits and focus on the object (sober up the monkey, and take control of it), you start to make progress towards Point B.

Meditation can tame the monkey of your mind.

Minimalism can tame the monkey of your life.

_________

Stay awesome!

axiom

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Dec 6, 2014
Damn, brother.

It is extremely rare for someone to come here and immediately provide value.

Minimalism is definitely vital -- in my opinion -- for success.

Another thing to keep in mind is that minimalism is not the same thing as asceticism. It is not the denial of luxury.

To the contrary, minimalists usually get very high quality things. They simply don't get as many things.

I'd much rather have one very cool car than 10 pretty cool cars.

Same for business. I'd rather have several very good clients than have many clients that cause me more headaches than they're worth. Harkens back to the 80/20 principle. 20% of clients (plug anything in here) provide 80% of the value.

Minimalism is all about optimization.

Mulsanne

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
May 4, 2016
Brazil
Damn, brother.

It is extremely rare for someone to come here and immediately provide value.

Minimalism is definitely vital -- in my opinion -- for success.

Another thing to keep in mind is that minimalism is not the same thing as asceticism. It is not the denial of luxury.

To the contrary, minimalists usually get very high quality things. They simply don't get as many things.

I'd much rather have one very cool car than 10 pretty cool cars.

Same for business. I'd rather have several very good clients than have many clients that cause me more headaches than they're worth. Harkens back to the 80/20 principle. 20% of clients (plug anything in here) provide 80% of the value.

Minimalism is all about optimization.

That's exatcly where I wanted to reach!

It's not about privation. It's like climbing a mountain with a bag on your back. Soon enought you discover that most of the "tools" on your bag, are actually requiring more of you, and just slowing you down.
Thank you!

Efficiency - like the Germans.

And simplicity, like your post =)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.