The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Mental challenges vs Physical ones

Anything related to matters of the mind

Soulrize

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Sep 21, 2014
i'm 24 and noticed some strengths and weaknesses in my actions. I from a young age always enjoyed a physical challenge and even today its alot easier to go to the gym and challenge my self or in any physical aspect of my life I'm against. However, as I get older, studying and office related jobs come in, I find myself lacking in the energized feeling I get from physical challenges that are almost nonexistent when its just metal work(I get it done but average results). I've seen many successful people draw energy from mental challenges where they are tremendously motivated by it. I think I'm just lacking a rival since I don't really have a visual person I know that I'm trying to beat. Any other suggestions to overcome this mental obstacle?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vermilion

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Feb 21, 2018
Somewhere
All cures for your problems are in your head. You can be physically strongest man in the world but if you are weak in your head muscles don't mean a thing.

Always be prepared mentally for any problem. Succeeding in a business is pure mental thing, to convince yourself that you can do it no matter what.

That lack of motivation thing and need of some person as competition is fake, it just puts a pressure on you and unnecessary stress. Just be you, and do it better then day before.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
Study things you enjoy, delve into the depths of knowledge, you are the captain on a ship, navigating the tumultuous waves of information.

Form longer lasting bonds with the things you read, and the obstacles in your life.

Apply, apply, apply.

Don’t sit back and idle, go out there and test your hypotheses against the world.

Only then will reading make sense to you.

Last edited:

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
I'm kinda like you, I love physical challenges, and I don't like sitting down and studying.

Over the years I've self-taught myself programming, several languages, skiing, styles of martial arts and others, and here are two things I learned:

1. You can learn anything you're deeply interested in and emotionally connected to.
  2. If you're like me and competitive by nature, you can make what you're trying to learn into a game. Look at someone else versed in the same skill and make a goal to beat them at it.

Even if you're not passionate about mental work you have to do, you can pretend you're doing it because you're interested and trick your brain. Or look at someone else who's super-successful at it, and tell yourself you're going to one-up them. I know many people say comparing yourself to others isn't healthy. But some people thrive off it.

What specifically are you trying to learn?

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
i'm 24 and noticed some strengths and weaknesses in my actions. I from a young age always enjoyed a physical challenge and even today its alot easier to go to the gym and challenge my self or in any physical aspect of my life I'm against. However, as I get older, studying and office related jobs come in, I find myself lacking in the energized feeling I get from physical challenges that are almost nonexistent when its just metal work(I get it done but average results). I've seen many successful people draw energy from mental challenges where they are tremendously motivated by it. I think I'm just lacking a rival since I don't really have a visual person I know that I'm trying to beat. Any other suggestions to overcome this mental obstacle?

Are you a visual person? I visualize myself doing lots of things physically with my mind. I believe creative visualization, meditation, will help you with this. Fortunately, it's learning to focus your thoughts. The physical body is a vehicle. I believe it's just your perception of the way your perceiving the event.
I'm not sure if you're a sensor and thinker. I know that they tend to be more physical, while NF's and NT's can be more visual. I understand they tell me all the time they have a hard time with meditation, focusing, and controlling their thoughts and sometimes don't get what I'm talking about. As I understand Sensors and Thinkers think while they're talking, and it may be the same thing with physical.
All the research I've done indicates when you visualize and action it will usually get the inner motivation to act. Although this is something you train your mind to do on a daily basis.
I challenge myself to become my 100% best.

Inner motivation doesn't come from the external world. And this also takes practice. We seek rewards from outside, but often in life you don't get rewards for everything you do. You have to be able to move regardless if someone is supporting you, walking by your side, engaged with your or not. Entrepreneurship is all about you being the leader, the driver of your vehicle. No one is going to motivate you to do anything. You have to be able to do it yourself.

I would figure out whether you're a sensor or thinker or not, because I know visualization doesn't work for everyone, and you might have to do some research and try different techniques and methods.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC

Your brain uses 20% of your body's energy. I've seen other studies that go up to 25%.

Why Does the Brain Need So Much Power?

Your physical efforts produce "reward" chemicals in the brain. Whereas a menial task like, putting together an excel sheet just doesn't have the same effect.

Successful people use challenges they set forth. Not others.

I remember in school we had to read books like The Scarlet Letter and other garbage. It wasn't much fun, and I bet you feel the same way.

Then, much later in life, I started enjoying reading, because it was subjects I was interested in. I just didn't know it, because all of my mental capacity was being filled by someone else.

I think I'm just lacking a rival since I don't really have a visual person I know that I'm trying to beat.

I've found using your-yesterday's-self working well. IE. I've conditioned myself to not end the day unless I learn at least 1 new piece of useful information, tied to my goals.

Like Jason said, try out different methods and see what works. You'll find just searching and discovering what you react to, will give you that mental reward you find in your physical exercises.

(Random interesting tidbit: 80% of computations in IT are used to sort and store data. The brain is showing similar behavior, according to that article.)

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
You know the crazy thing is that when you are mentally tired you are actually tired. But when you are physically tired, it's your brain telling you that you are tired, when physically you can go much further.

David Goggins says that when your brain tells your body that you can't go further, you can probably go at least 40% further.

But when your brain is tired, it's actually tired and needs rest. <-- this is my opinion based on my experiences.

This is why when I work for over an hour and feel tired, I just stop and rest. I know that sitting and staring at my screen is not going to get my work done.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
You know the crazy thing is that when you are mentally tired you are actually tired. But when you are physically tired, it's your brain telling you that you are tired, when physically you can go much further.

David Goggins says that when your brain tells your body that you can't go further, you can probably go at least 40% further.

But when your brain is tired, it's actually tired and needs rest. <-- this is my opinion based on my experiences.

This is why when I work for over an hour and feel tired, I just stop and rest. I know that sitting and staring at my screen is not going to get my work done.

bu..bu..bu..but Bio! What about HUSTLE?!

For too long I kidded myself into thinking that being an entrepreneur meant sleeping 4 hours a night (I even made a thread about it, lol :/) and being at your laptop every waking hour (whilst getting absolutely jack shit done).

Once I stepped back, looked at myself and what I had actually achieved, I realised that strategy was super sub-optimal - or at least I knew I could attain a better output with a different strategy. Now I schedule long breaks, time with friends and my output is 100x (and you don't mentally torture yourself either, which is always nice).

Obviously there is a time and a place for 'hustle', working stupid hours, but not everyday, man.

Take time to enjoy the journey.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.