The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Melatonin?

Malcolm_X

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Nov 6, 2015
Germany
Guys, who's using melatonin on regular basis ?
I am taking it on and off, kind of testing the effects. In the beginning, it was awesome, it put me to sleep very fast and I woke up in the morning from a good deep sleep.

However, what I noticed recently (past few weeks) is that although I get an amazing sleep, I wake up kind of dizzy and sluggish and it takes me a long time to get my sh*t back together.

Anybody else experiencing the same thing ? I will try to take (even) lower doses, if that helps at all.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

NetBorn

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Mar 25, 2016
I am taking it on and off, kind of testing the effects. In the beginning, it was awesome, it put me to sleep very fast and I woke up in the morning from a good deep sleep.

However, what I noticed recently (past few weeks) is that although I get an amazing sleep, I wake up kind of dizzy and sluggish and it takes me a long time to get my sh*t back together.

Anybody else experiencing the same thing ? I will try to take (even) lower doses, if that helps at all.

It works only if it is step-by-step release (not cheapest) and still you feel dizzy sometimes. I'd suggest 5-HTP - really calms down, but I'm using only half like 25 mg and not more than twice a week.

T-K

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 22, 2016
Istanbul
All those materials are in balanced in our body, mostly. When you lack some of them and take it as supplement, it improves your health. But if you keep using it and have it more than your body needs, it affects you negatively. This is almost always one of the main problems with those substances. It's important to be careful when you are dealing with:

-serotonin
-melatonin
-dopamine
-magnesium
-zinc

I know this from personal experience. So, when you are going to start using a supplement that affects bio-chemical order in your brain, check out online forums first. There are forums and subreddits (reddit) for almost anything, go there and read from other people. Some people conduct experiments on themselves for years and share their results. They also now what should be taken with what (magnesium and zinc for example). And although they are very useful, it's good to keep in mind that every person reacts differently to these kind of substances. You can be sure that your experiences won't be the same with other people's experience.

I know people usually recommend consulting a physician before taking these but I'm pretty sure no one ever does that, so what I am saying is, be careful. And for your dizziness, stop taking it and after a few days you will be fine. You probably took more than necessary and this is how your body responds to it.

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
If you're looking for something to help you sleep, I recommend the liquid form of ZQuil. There is also a gelcap form of it, but I prefer the liquid. Take about a half to full cup that comes with it.

The first time I tried it, it was the best sleep I ever had.

I used to get it from Sams Club, 3 bottles for $14.

I have stopped taking it since about 4 months ago. I forced myself off of it and worked on just trying to clear my mind when I try to go to sleep.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I works too well on me... if I take it at night, I end up sleeping in until 10AM.

NetBorn

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Mar 25, 2016
I works too well on me... if I take it at night, I end up sleeping in until 10AM.

Maybe using it without an alarm clock is the the answer then : ) I think it depends on the brand/the person.
I didn't want to bother anyone but from some cheaper brands that I've tried I'd even wake up in the middle of the night and can't fall asleep anymore, but I think melatonin in general is very safe and useful.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
I'm sluggish in the morning too, hard to wake up.

I could have sworn a couple of times it actually prevented me from falling asleep when I was already kind of tired.

NetBorn

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Mar 25, 2016
If you're really sleepy ( really ! ) and tired in the morning get some cinnamon tea and something salty ( salt water for real men ).
I wouldn't try the cinnamon tea otherwise before late in the evening or in the evening, unless I have a lot to do - it contains choline and that builds up in the brain if it is not depleted by tiredness - leading to small headache.

Alxander

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 5, 2015
I've used melatonin for almost 8 years but have stopped recently. You will indeed wake up groggy even though you slept a lot.

Try to drink some chamomile tee and maybe take a zinc and magnesium pill.

Turn of the lights and your electrical devices screen, or at least use a blue-light filter to protect your eyes and sleep.

Make your own melatonin, you literally have a brain for that.

ejames

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Nov 5, 2015
New York

I take it every night. In fact when i don't take it i notice my brain is foggy the next day and I feel alot more tired. It has working for me pretty well

JohnZ123

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 23, 2014
People keep forgetting melatonin is a hormone not a sleeping pill, taking it for long duration can mess up

ejames

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Nov 5, 2015
New York
People keep forgetting melatonin is a hormone not a sleeping pill, taking it for long duration can mess up
Really didnt know that? What will it mess up? Maybe thats why my eyes are red lately

MC Hammer

Too cold to get old
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Dec 19, 2015
Melatonin should not be taken for more than a couple weeks. Use it to adjust to a sleep schedule. It's not a sleeping pill. If you have trouble sleeping, stop looking to pills to solve this problem. It's time to get serious about your sleep/health, do some research, and make some changes in your life.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.