The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Mary Jane Is Paying My Rent

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Alex W.

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Sep 30, 2015
I recently closed a consulting deal, of sorts, with a medicinal marijuana producer in Oregon (where both medicinal and recreational sales are lawful).

The client is a friend of a friend. We met a few times over beers to talk about the future of his business/where he's at now. Our discussions were conversational at first, but increased in "seriousness" over a span of a couple weeks. Towards the end of our informal meetings, he was jotting down notes...

He asked me last week if I was available to help him out, and I agreed.

He wants some basic stuff done first
  • Filing paperwork with the State
  • Branding his business
  • Creating a website
  • Applying for appropriate licenses
  • Sourcing quality legal work
He has made it clear that he wants more work done immediately upon completion. Future work sounds to be more inline with consulting (strategy, problem solving, etc.).

This is my first time doing something like this. That being the case, I had/have very little idea what to charge him and how to charge him (hourly? flat fee?). We ended up agreeing on a flat fee of $1000 for the work outlined above (not including costs, which are included in a separate budget).
  • I could have charged more, as I'm finding out now. I profitably acquired a client who is eager to have more work done, though. I'm happy with it.
  • Any suggestion on pricing structures for future business?

The client has mentioned a few times that he has many friends who are in the same position as him. They don't know how to/don't want to spend their time setting up a website, branding their business, doing research on the new measures/draft rules/licensing procedures, etc.

A ton of medicinal producers are incredibly confused in regard to the future direction of their business, as the recreational side of the industry comes into play come January, 2016. They don't know what this means for them.

I'm sensing opportunity.

I'm not sure what direction I want to take this right now, but I am taking it somewhere. I have one client, and I'll be looking to acquire more.

I'll update here occasionally.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Alex W.

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Sep 30, 2015
Just saw this...

Perfectly applicable to this thread.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics