The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Man stole $122m from FB & Google by sending them bills.....which they paid.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I'm sure there is a lot more to this than what is being told.

Thing is federal cases are sealed, so not anybody can just view the complaint and evidence that was used in this case.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Pretty ingenious. Usually someone with this level of detail and ingenuity could succeed in an honest business, always confuses me why they go to the dishonest route. My guess is the emotional thrill of winning the deception.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Pretty ingenious. Usually someone with this level of detail and ingenuity could succeed in an honest business, always confuses me why they go to the dishonest route. My guess is the emotional thrill of winning the deception.
Probably selling a product that you didn't create yourself 100% (aka Bill Gates to IBM style) or in an industry you don't know much about (Jack Ma with no coding skills) would be the middle part of the honesty-deception paradigm.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
Probably selling a product that you didn't create yourself 100% (aka Bill Gates to IBM style) or in an industry you don't know much about (Jack Ma with no coding skills) would be the middle part of the honesty-deception paradigm.

Maybe SEO Consulting?

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Usually someone with this level of detail and ingenuity could succeed in an honest business, always confuses me why they go to the dishonest route. My guess is the emotional thrill of winning the deception.

It says he's a renowned money launderer, so my bet is that he started small, got good at it, and now this is where his comfort lies.

He could probably do very well legally, but this was likely a path of least resistance, given his experience.

The article says he had to forge a bunch of stuff to make this work - spoof email exchanges, exec docs, approvals, etc...

This story is going around making it sound like he simply sent bills to these companies that got paid. The reality is he forged a paper trail that made these bills look non-suspicious.

Really the only reason it worked was because it passed the sniff test from the people in accounts payable. You usually don't go double check every order when you see your boss's approval right there in the email string or other forms of faked proof that came with these things.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The article says he had to forge a bunch of stuff to make this work - spoof email exchanges, exec docs, approvals, etc...

Yes, he endured a pretty rigorous process to pull it off. This was no event-driven scam ... "gee I'll just make a few bills and send 'em over to Google." A shame such a process couldn't be focused on legit endeavors...

Surf16

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jan 6, 2019
California

Thing is federal cases are sealed, so not anybody can just view the complaint and evidence that was used in this case.
Totally random but I like your profile pic @socaldude ! We go to Cabo all the time and love it.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
You usually don't go double check every order when you see your boss's approval right there in the email string or other forms of faked proof that came with these things.

Holy macaroni, I can't believe how stupid these companies are. I got a puter, so I'm sending em some bills right now!

In reality, a merely ACCEPTABLE accounting system has POs. Purchase orders. Nothing gets paid unless it has a PO - and it better match up exactly. When the PO is paid, it's marked paid, so it does not get paid again.

Chit. I knew this stuff in 5th grade. My Dad had a business that I would go to on weekends with him. I picked up knowledge here and there over time.

Gotta go - my printer just finished printing out 100 fake invoices. I'm gonna be rich this time next week!

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015

This makes no sense

Brian Fleig

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Feb 19, 2018
New York
I owned a staffing business years ago billing hospitals for labor. It occurred to me then that it would be easy to submit fake bills. Step one is knowing your target industry's threshold for kicking the invoice to a second level for scrutiny/approval vs paying at the clerk level.
Back in the 80's in FL I remember a guy who was generating fake bills for $10 each and sending them to everyone in the phone book. He got rich... Then busted lol

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
This makes no sense
Let me explain...

If you can sell a product, of course you are filling a need.

However, if you don't have the product at the present moment, and haven't settled the supply details yet, of course there's a risk it could fall apart and you cannot deliver on your word.

That's why it lends both from the good (deliver product directly, the regular way) and the bad (selling the vision before giving the real thing)

The Legend

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Aug 16, 2018
It says he's a renowned money launderer, so my bet is that he started small, got good at it, and now this is where his comfort lies.

He could probably do very well legally, but this was likely a path of least resistance, given his experience.

This story is going around making it sound like he simply sent bills to these companies that got paid. The reality is he forged a paper trail that made these bills look non-suspicious.

Really the only reason it worked was because it passed the sniff test from the people in accounts payable. You usually don't go double check every order when you see your boss's approval right there in the email string or other forms of faked proof that came with these things.
I reckon he probably had INSIDERS within the two companies, to execute the way he did.

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015
Let me explain...

If you can sell a product, of course you are filling a need.

However, if you don't have the product at the present moment, and haven't settled the supply details yet, of course there's a risk it could fall apart and you cannot deliver on your word.

That's why it lends both from the good (deliver product directly, the regular way) and the bad (selling the vision before giving the real thing)

There's a key difference between selling something you intend to and can deliver and selling something you don't. It isn't a spectrum.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.