The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Making video for marketing purposes

Marketing, social media, advertising

mikekob

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Oct 29, 2013
Denver, CO
Hi guys,

I'm about done with the build for a beta test at an actual hospital. One of the things I'm focusing on now is marketing to help find that hospital. I have some brochure type stuff and have been trying to do actual live demos of the product. One of the best tools I think I could add to my arsenal is a video. I have some pretty big contacts and would like to maximize my effectiveness and efficiency with reaching out. Some people would much rather watch a 30 second video.

So I'm going to do just that. Only problem is I have no idea how to do one. I've been playing around with Camtasia and reflection to create a video, but they seem to be very unprofessional.

Do I try to figure it out and have a shitty video, do I change my attitude, man the F*ck up and make it, or do I have a professional person make the video? I know there's some pretty talented video guys out there and I'm asking for your input.

Thanks,
Mike

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

leonbenj

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Apr 11, 2013
Montreal, Can
Awesome to see that you're doing it for that cause!
Quite interested to see what others have to say about this.
A bunch of my buddies are willing to make a video for me but the costs of renting some equipment is pretty steep for my startup ($480). Don't know if I should use my dad's wedding equipment which would do less effects but deliver a similar message.

tekcraze

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Apr 21, 2011
Canada
Try looking at something like http://www.flixpress.com
Videos made out of a template with pretty slick transitions and animations built in. I think there's a demo you can try out. I'm probably going to use them for some of my projects.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Esquire

Divorce Shark
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Oct 13, 2012
Connecticut
I've been playing around with Camtasia and reflection to create a video, but they seem to be very unprofessional.

I've spent the last week really getting to know Camtasia ... and I gotta say ... Camtasia rocks. I would hardly use the word "unprofessional" to describe them. To the extreme contrary ... I've been super impressed with how well their FAQ videos acquaint you with the software. Can't seem to say enough good things about them.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

DeletedUser12

Sounds like you need an explainer video. Your decision really depends on how much your time is worth and how 'slick' the video needs to be.

Here's my best advice (as an editor with 15 years of experience) if you decide to tackle this on your own: start with the audio -- in your case, probably a voice over. Write a script that explains your app in the fewest words possible. Record yourself on a mic. Lay this down on a timeline. Lay down some royalty-free music that you like and mix in in.

Only after the audio 'works', then make a list of what would be the best visual image that would convey the meaning of each section of voice over. Then screen grab / create graphics / motion graphics / get some stock video etc. and start laying it over the audio.

At the very least you will have something you can pass on to an editor to give a good idea of what you need, or it may suffice for what you are trying to do.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.