The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Making money from a special sudoku mobile app

A topic related to SAAS or APPs

EssoFled

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 19, 2014
Hello guys,

I just joined the community and have something to ask to you.

First of all, sorry for my English writing skill. It's not my native language.

Here's my question: I am developing a sudoku mobile app but not a simple one. It's not just a simple sudoku game. I imagined a real innovative new way of playing sudoku. I will not go into more details here but I think that people liking sudoku will like it a lot more that just a simple sudoku game. My problem is that there is plenty of sudoku apps when you enter the keyword "sudoku" in the appstore/playstore. So I think making people downloading it will be very difficult.

What will be for you the best way to make money from this app? (since I can not hoping a lot of download)

To people that will answer me that there is a lot of threads about this subject: I want to know the best way for MY CASE not just general answers found in google or forums.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
Haven't really played Sudoku but if you can add IAP's, thats great but its hard to rely on. Put ads in. Chartboost is the best for games, put a full page when they enter, and then periodically have another pop up. I don't like to make them obnoxious but I know people who do so users will buy the paid version.

Unless you have a large budget to do consistent marketing, you have to focus on ASO. A good title and good keywords are a big start, then getting reviews will also push you up the rankings.

EssoFled

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 19, 2014
Great advices, thank you. I didn't think about IAP's. What do you think about putting IAP's that when you buy you get a bonus that you can use in the game and in the same time you don't get ads anymore? (hope my sentence is understandable lol)

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
Many developers use that strategy. I personally do not, ads stay in all my free games even if there are IAP's. I do have some apps where there is a Pro version with no ads though.

InLikeFlint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 19, 2012
Michigan, USA
You could also consider partnering with an App Marketing company...there are plenty out there and Chillingo comes to mind (They only work with games, so you are in luck) - They are well renowned for releasing the first version of Angry Birds. They basically create a ton of hype around your app both pre and post release and take a portion of the earnings.

It sucks to give up some of your profits, but would you rather make 100% of $1,000 (After Apple takes their fee, of course) or 60% of $100,000?

In terms of turning a profit from the app, In App Purchases are extremely popular and were catching (If not exceeding) the top revenue stream for apps, even over the initial purchase price. Ads are good as well, and the more traffic you have, the more you will get from advertisers.

EssoFled

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 19, 2014
Yeah, I didn't like the idea of sharing my earnings but I need to think about this. I was thinking about asking player to rate my game in exchange of bonuses but it this allowed by the appstore/play store? And is it possible?

decaobr

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Jul 25, 2013
Yeah, I didn't like the idea of sharing my earnings but I need to think about this. I was thinking about asking player to rate my game in exchange of bonuses but it this allowed by the appstore/play store? And is it possible?

I dont think this is allowed, but what many developers do, is to include Pop Up, asking the users to review the app time to time. Also a very good way to increase your app visibility without spending money on advertising, is to exchange in game Bonuses, for Tweets and Facebook shares.

Do you mind telling me, what Framework are you using to develop your game, i thinking about starting to develop games for both iOS and Android, and i dont know if i should use Corona Labs or Cocos-2dx?

Last edited:

EssoFled

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 19, 2014
I only imagine the game and its features but I am not coding the app, someone is doing this for me. So I don't know sorry.

Including a lot of thinks like ads, popup, IAPs will not decrease too much the player experience making the game boring even if the game itself is good?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.