The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Loss leaders and how to get new clients

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Kepler

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Mar 4, 2015
Scottsdale
Hi there everyone,

I had a conversation with a friend of mine today who is in the restaurant industry.

He was explaining to me that they use loss leaders (a product you lose money on to attract clients to your business to try and sell your other products).

For example offering a dish for less than cost to get people in the door, then having different variations of the dish for full price.

This got me thinking in terms of applying this in online businesses, do any of y’all do this and if so what different ways have you applied it?

Best regards,

-Kepler

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Suzanne Bazemore

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Sep 30, 2018
Spring, TX
Hi @Kepler, I think a way this could be applied to an online business might be the offer of something free in exchange for signing up with your email address or free with a purchase. This free item could be of value, but downloadable, so that, really, other than putting it together, you're not losing money. I don't know if that counts as a loss leader or not. For example, I was checking out some cookbooks online, and I got a free, downloadable, small cookbook about outdoor cooking with my purchase. This cookbook could have been sold, but they used it as a marketing tool instead.

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles
Hi there everyone,

I had a conversation with a friend of mine today who is in the restaurant industry.

He was explaining to me that they use loss leaders (a product you lose money on to attract clients to your business to try and sell your other products).

For example offering a dish for less than cost to get people in the door, then having different variations of the dish for full price.

This got me thinking in terms of applying this in online businesses, do any of y’all do this and if so what different ways have you applied it?

Best regards,

-Kepler
d0a.gif

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
It varies by the case and the deal structured, but as a coach, if a joint venture partner sends a client my way, I offer them 100% of the fee when a client signs on with a 3-month program with me, because I know a high percentage of them will turn into multi-year long clients.

Kepler

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Mar 4, 2015
Scottsdale
Hi @Kepler, I think a way this could be applied to an online business might be the offer of something free in exchange for signing up with your email address or free with a purchase. This free item could be of value, but downloadable, so that, really, other than putting it together, you're not losing money. I don't know if that counts as a loss leader or not. For example, I was checking out some cookbooks online, and I got a free, downloadable, small cookbook about outdoor cooking with my purchase. This cookbook could have been sold, but they used it as a marketing tool instead.
That’s a pretty smart workaround honestly, never considered free digital materials.

Kepler

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Mar 4, 2015
Scottsdale
It varies by the case and the deal structured, but as a coach, if a joint venture partner sends a client my way, I offer them 100% of the fee when a client signs on with a 3-month program with me, because I know a high percentage of them will turn into multi-year long clients.
So this works in regards to subscription based clients, I think I’ll be giving this model a shot when I begin selling my Software to hospitals.

Thank you!

Bruno Calisso

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 26, 2019
Portugal
I think a question formula, kind of a quiz, that offers a promotional code or something like that is better for overall performance in the long term, if you ask the right questions you'll know where the client isn't satisfied and exactly where to start improving. Fast food companies have this things in their bills and it is very helpful.

Kepler

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Mar 4, 2015
Scottsdale
I think a question formula, kind of a quiz, that offers a promotional code or something like that is better for overall performance in the long term, if you ask the right questions you'll know where the client isn't satisfied and exactly where to start improving. Fast food companies have this things in their bills and it is very helpful.
That is helpful however it doesn’t attract people in for the first time.

Kepler

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Mar 4, 2015
Scottsdale
That’s more a technique for retaining existing clients and improving your delivery of goods or services

aeden

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Feb 28, 2020
Melbourne, FL
Hi there everyone,

Best regards,

-Kepler

This is very common in the domain name industry. Registrars like GoDaddy and NameCheap sell domain names at well below cost and then recoup the cost through other products they sell that have much better margins, like hosting.

Process

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 19, 2017
Solving Pain
Yes it is called a lead magnet.

Paid for lead magnets are more accurate because you can actually tell they are a buyer. People who take free info can often be freeloaders.

A buyer is worth far more than 10 freeloaders in the long run.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.