The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Looking for side hustlers in mobile dev (Flutter) ready to commit to a 10-week program

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Echni

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Jun 8, 2020
Germany
Hi everyone,

experience has shown that a peer group can be helpful in order to achieve your goals in many ways: motivation, accelerate learning by sharing experience, brainstorming, help eachother when you are stuck, sharing the suffering and successes etc.

The app space has become incredible competitive. Nevertheless, I am trying to get into mobile development with Flutter. I am not from a tech background but I still see a lot of room for ideas which have not yet been realized. Furthermore, I don't know if those niches are sufficient to make any reasonable money. But only way to find out is by realizing some of them and making first-hand experience. I want to learn, understand the process of developing an app, deploying it in the app store and marketing it. So making money out of it is my minor concern on this first step of the journey. I started a few months ago as a side hustler with mobile dev but work pulled my attention away. And not surrounding yourself with the people who target the same goal makes things sometimes very difficult.

I am looking for 5 other people who are ready to start from scratch and are willing to make a strong commitment to be the best version of themselves and work towards the goal of bringing the app ideas of the group to reality. You should be ready to commit at least an hour every day to this project and engage in frequent zoom-sessions for exchange.
Let's work through a Udemy course in the first part, tutor eachother and exhange learning materials and simplified apps. In the second part we get into developing our own ideas. At the end of the 10 weeks we will have our apps deployed in the app store.

But this is only my vision for the moment. Let me hear what would inspire you and how you would think about this.
Also keen to hear from experienced developers on what could be achieved in such time. Many thanks!

Best wishes,
Echni

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

OverByte

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
May 18, 2014
Canada
@Echni I think it's great you're putting together a peer group to learn coding.

Some feedback (from one of those experienced developers you speak of)
1 - I built one app with Flutter at a previous job, we actually did it as a volunteer job for a charity (build them an app), I believe they still use it. It was very quick to put something together functional and I was impressed with Flutter.
2 - take this with a grain of salt because I have not been actively involved in Flutter dev since but at the time we wrote the app (maybe 1-2 years ago??) Flutter was quite new and it was very difficult to find information / community if you hit any snags. Hopefully this has changed but since you are trying to learn development using a language with a large active community and well established docs is pretty crucial since you will likely hit many roadblocks.
3 - leverage firebase and other cloud services as much as you can, especially if you are just learning stuff. We leveraged firebase and flutter and it was incredibly easy to have authentication, permissions, a hosted nosql db. This will allow you to accomplish much more. At the time firebase was free for the sort of scale we were looking at. This will teach you how to leverage cloud/"serverless" technologies as well which is powerful for rapid development. I mention firebase because google had released a package and some documentation on how it works with Flutter. Other, more entrenched languages will have more options.
4 - in terms of what kind of project / what to accomplish, if you are doing it simply to learn I would focus on something fairly simple that touches some key aspects you'll need to deal with when building a real app: user management, persistence, maybe pulling data from a public api, have a few screens. Maybe an app that has a signup (user management) and lets you view the current prices for crypto? There are lots of public crypto apis to pull the prices and you could save a profile of crypto you want to watch (persistence - ideally in the cloud using firebase/similar), bonus you could leverage push notifications to get notified of price threshold increases. You could also do it in stages, since I'm really not sure how long it would take you to go from 0 experience. Stage 1 would be just an app that loads a hello screen. Stage 2 would be the app that pulls down the prices of say BTC & ETH from a public api and posts it to screen. Stage 3 would be to search for other coins, stage 4 would be to have user login, stage 5 would be to save other coins to watch, stage 6 would be to get push notified on threshold changes (you'd use serverless/cloud functions for this)

Last edited:

Echni

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Jun 8, 2020
Germany
@Echni I think it's great you're putting together a peer group to learn coding.

Some feedback (from one of those experienced developers you speak of)
1 - I built one app with Flutter at a previous job, we actually did it as a volunteer job for a charity (build them an app), I believe they still use it. It was very quick to put something together functional and I was impressed with Flutter.
2 - take this with a grain of salt because I have not been actively involved in Flutter dev since but at the time we wrote the app (maybe 1-2 years ago??) Flutter was quite new and it was very difficult to find information / community if you hit any snags. Hopefully this has changed but since you are trying to learn development using a language with a large active community and well established docs is pretty crucial since you will likely hit many roadblocks.
3 - leverage firebase and other cloud services as much as you can, especially if you are just learning stuff. We leveraged firebase and flutter and it was incredibly easy to have authentication, permissions, a hosted nosql db. This will allow you to accomplish much more. At the time firebase was free for the sort of scale we were looking at. This will teach you how to leverage cloud/"serverless" technologies as well which is powerful for rapid development. I mention firebase because google had released a package and some documentation on how it works with Flutter. Other, more entrenched languages will have more options.
4 - in terms of what kind of project / what to accomplish, if you are doing it simply to learn I would focus on something fairly simple that touches some key aspects you'll need to deal with when building a real app: user management, persistence, maybe pulling data from a public api, have a few screens. Maybe an app that has a signup (user management) and lets you view the current prices for crypto? There are lots of public crypto apis to pull the prices and you could save a profile of crypto you want to watch (persistence - ideally in the cloud using firebase/similar), bonus you could leverage push notifications to get notified of price threshold increases. You could also do it in stages, since I'm really not sure how long it would take you to go from 0 experience. Stage 1 would be just an app that loads a hello screen. Stage 2 would be the app that pulls down the prices of say BTC & ETH from a public api and posts it to screen. Stage 3 would be to search for other coins, stage 4 would be to have user login, stage 5 would be to save other coins to watch, stage 6 would be to get push notified on threshold changes (you'd use serverless/cloud functions for this)
Thanks a lot for your feedback and suggestions OverByte! That is highly encouraging. Sounds like Flutter is really the right thing to look at if you want to quickly get something running. And it is also a sought after skill that one can use for freelancing and helping other people to realise their ideas.

What I have heard is that dev costs if you contract a professional app dev agency usually start at EUR 40k. Once one knows how to build the simple thing and has a better understanding of the main process it might be possible to leverage on some external developers here and there and start focusing on improving the product and winning new customers. But it has been written on many spots in the forum how dangerous this can be. That's why I want to get a solid understanding of the development process by myself.

Who is keen to join me on this journey?

Hadrian

QUEST MASTER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Oct 8, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Thanks a lot for your feedback and suggestions OverByte! That is highly encouraging. Sounds like Flutter is really the right thing to look at if you want to quickly get something running. And it is also a sought after skill that one can use for freelancing and helping other people to realise their ideas.

What I have heard is that dev costs if you contract a professional app dev agency usually start at EUR 40k. Once one knows how to build the simple thing and has a better understanding of the main process it might be possible to leverage on some external developers here and there and start focusing on improving the product and winning new customers. But it has been written on many spots in the forum how dangerous this can be. That's why I want to get a solid understanding of the development process by myself.

Who is keen to join me on this journey?
Sorry meant to reply sooner but overcommitted on other projects. Darn it we just started on a traffic app but we're using React Native not Flutter.... I'd LOVE to join you but I'm already in over my head on my existing projects.. will be following though! Best of Luck! :peace:

Echni

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Jun 8, 2020
Germany
Sorry meant to reply sooner but overcommitted on other projects. Darn it we just started on a traffic app but we're using React Native not Flutter.... I'd LOVE to join you but I'm already in over my head on my existing projects.. will be following though! Best of Luck! :peace:
Thanks Hadrian! Best of luck for you too!

I am still looking for fellows. Who is keen to roll up the sleeves and push through with their first app?

Some details about myself - sorry I skipped the introduction part so far.
I am a 32 years old guy from Germany. I used to work in investment banking and private equity but quit that a while ago in order to work in IT consulting. Why I changed careers is another story. My base case is to go freelance in this field in a few years. However, I am aiming for a scalable business earlier on.

OverByte

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
May 18, 2014
Canada
Will give this thread a bump as I think it's a great opportunity for people looking to get experience with development to do it in a focused group like this with some members with entrepreneurial mindset. If someone lurking here is an aspiring app dev with little to no experience then reach out to @Echni build some relationships, learn and grow.

@Echni - while I'm not really in the target audience for your mastermind, feel free to reach out to me if you have tech questions and I'm happy to give you some general direction. While I think you'll learn the most and would encourage anyone on this path to persist through solving as many problems as possible individually/within their peer group, it can definitely speed up your learning curve if you have someone more experienced to bounce some questions off of or to get opinions from.

Echni

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Jun 8, 2020
Germany
Will give this thread a bump as I think it's a great opportunity for people looking to get experience with development to do it in a focused group like this with some members with entrepreneurial mindset. If someone lurking here is an aspiring app dev with little to no experience then reach out to @Echni build some relationships, learn and grow.

@Echni - while I'm not really in the target audience for your mastermind, feel free to reach out to me if you have tech questions and I'm happy to give you some general direction. While I think you'll learn the most and would encourage anyone on this path to persist through solving as many problems as possible individually/within their peer group, it can definitely speed up your learning curve if you have someone more experienced to bounce some questions off of or to get opinions from.
Thanks for the encouragement OverByte!

Echni

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Jun 8, 2020
Germany
Hello everyone,

it's amazing to see that this thread was seen by over 1k people meanwhile. Sorry, it has been quiet from my side the last months. I had decided to do some "clean-up"-work first that yield me directly some Euros instead of looking at long-term projects like development endeavours. In short: I have been slashing unnecessary cost, selling stuff from home and put excess money to work.

Now it's time to get something running that can start growing by itself and bring in some extra cash. Are you interested to do the same and keen on mobile development?

We have some support from experienced mobile developers on the forum. Now all it takes is to get together a group of comrades and get the ball rolling. Who's in?

aquilarafael

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Aug 31, 2019
Hello everyone,

it's amazing to see that this thread was seen by over 1k people meanwhile. Sorry, it has been quiet from my side the last months. I had decided to do some "clean-up"-work first that yield me directly some Euros instead of looking at long-term projects like development endeavours. In short: I have been slashing unnecessary cost, selling stuff from home and put excess money to work.

Now it's time to get something running that can start growing by itself and bring in some extra cash. Are you interested to do the same and keen on mobile development?

We have some support from experienced mobile developers on the forum. Now all it takes is to get together a group of comrades and get the ball rolling. Who's in?
Hello Echni and everyone,

great initiative of yours. I'm a mobile developer from Brazil using Flutter. I'm currently working on a digital bank app and finishing an health related one. I'm interested in your idea. How can we talk more?

Echni

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Jun 8, 2020
Germany
Hello Echni and everyone,

great initiative of yours. I'm a mobile developer from Brazil using Flutter. I'm currently working on a digital bank app and finishing an health related one. I'm interested in your idea. How can we talk more?
Oí Rafael,
love your country! I lived half a year in Sao Paulo - fantastic place. Where are you based?
That sounds pretty cool what you are on - especially banking is a very sophisticated field when it comes to communciation standards etc I assume. Since how long are you in the space of app development? I will send you a pm and let's get this rolling.

aquilarafael

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Aug 31, 2019
Oí Rafael,
love your country! I lived half a year in Sao Paulo - fantastic place. Where are you based?
That sounds pretty cool what you are on - especially banking is a very sophisticated field when it comes to communciation standards etc I assume. Since how long are you in the space of app development? I will send you a pm and let's get this rolling.
Hi. Great you have been in Brazil. I live in Aracaju. I am a Flutter developer since 2018 and love the framework. I answered your pm.

Echni

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Jun 8, 2020
Germany
we are now a group of 5 people with a variety of backgrounds. I found a lot of interest on other spots of the web. We can get started soon. Anyone from here still interested in joining? Please pm me.

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
why give 10 weeks when you can do it in 1 week?

learn dart, 1 day.
copy UI Speed code x2 videos, day 2.
copy UI Speed code x2 videos, day 3.
learn about different types of state management and how they work(in detail) and working with APIs & database, day 4.
select one state management, and use code along with the video for building an entire app, day 5.
same as day 5, day 6.
learn some tricks and shortcuts, productivity tricks anything you like, and some backlog, day 7.

and you are done. Maybe it takes 10 to 15 days but not more than that. also, note you will learn things when you need them. don't try to optimize for everything.

now the question is, How will you find clients?

~flutter dev since its beta

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.