The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Looking for feedback on app idea - "what should I buy/wear?" (clickable prototype inside)

Idea threads

floridaman

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Dec 28, 2018
Orlando, FL
Hey guys, I'll make this one short and sweet.

Here's the link to the clickable prototype ---> Loading Share Experience

The value prop: get close-to-instant feedback on outfit/style choices using crowdsourced split testing.

How it works:
1) you upload photos of 2 different looks you're trying on, with a bunch of different options (ie. only get votes from women)
2) you pay credits into the system to keep the supply/demand in balance
3) you get 10/25/50 votes within 5/10/30 minutes
4) now you have a better idea of what looks better on you
5) to earn credits so you can post again, you vote on other people's outfits
6) there's a social element of following/connecting with others, not fully fleshed out

Use cases:
1) you're at the mall and want to know which things to spend money on, what looks better on YOU?
2) you're going out on the town and want to know which outfit looks sexier
3) you've gotta meet the parents and want to make a good impression
4) you have a job interview coming up and want to know what makes you look the most professional and respectable
5) what hair style/color or accessories look the best on you?

Why can't you just ask friends?
1) your friends are biased or maybe they don't have the style you dig
2) you may not get ENOUGH feedback
3) you might need feedback NOW
4) relying on one or two people for advice isn't as valuable as asking 25 or 50 people.
5) if I had to rely on my friends every time I wanted to get feedback on a style choice, I'd lose my friends

The market:
1) young men and women, ages 15-35
2) fashion conscious and care about their social image

Trend this takes advantage of:
1) narcissism is more popular than ever
2) crowdsourcing

Problems that I can see coming up:
1) girls value feedback from their friends a lot, so prioritizing their close social circle will be important
2) getting enough people on the platform to handle the supply/demand balance of having things to vote on, and getting votes

This was a personal pain point. As a single guy, I'm always trying to improve my style. And I don't want to ask my guy friends, or spam one of my girlfriends with a bunch of photos. And when I've been dating a girl, she's always asking what looks better on her. Every man can relate to this.

I'd love to get some feedback from the smart and talented bunch of lads and ladies here.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Attachments

• 321478348.jpg
    321478348.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 321481606.jpg
    321481606.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 321481607.jpg
    321481607.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 321483217.jpg
    321483217.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 321484665.jpg
    321484665.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 4

Bubbles

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Nov 18, 2019
i like the idea!
but personally for me, i think it might be such a hassle for me to find 2 distinct styles to try out, take pictures and upload. i'd just stick to wearing what i like.
that said, if i didnt have to physically put on those clothes, but could use some face/body swap technology, i think i'd buy that :)

floridaman

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Dec 28, 2018
Orlando, FL
I think a cooler idea would just be a yes/no on an outfit or item rather than which outfit

They have a lot of those apps, but there's too much decision fatigue for the voters. It's too vague, and doesn't feel like a "game" where you "pick the winner." But you can almost always choose which looks better, and so you start to learn which things look better relative to others. The idea came from split testing ads.

floridaman

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Dec 28, 2018
Orlando, FL
i like the idea!
but personally for me, i think it might be such a hassle for me to find 2 distinct styles to try out, take pictures and upload. i'd just stick to wearing what i like.
that said, if i didnt have to physically put on those clothes, but could use some face/body swap technology, i think i'd buy that :)

That would be pretty cool actually. Maybe a future feature?

Curious, are you part of the target market?
( young men and women, ages 15-35, fashion conscious and care about their social image)

Bubbles

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Nov 18, 2019
That would be pretty cool actually. Maybe a future feature?

Curious, are you part of the target market?
( young men and women, ages 15-35, fashion conscious and care about their social image)

age yes! fashion conscious not that much, image conscious though! if that helps!

Juan Pimentel

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
248%
Jul 10, 2019
Mesa Arizona
Once you have a lot of posts. Use machine learning to make recommend outfit idea for each person profile. Use current trends and styles alot of your customers are using.

floridaman

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Dec 28, 2018
Orlando, FL
I think what caught my attention on this one, was a fun app I downloaded (found on Product Hunt) called "Face Off." It was a similar idea, but it was way more simple and just helped you pick which profile picture was better, for Facebook. It was strangely addictive, and was really cool to get feedback that would surprise you sometimes. And then, everybody remembers the "Hot or Not" website...

I decided to apply it to fashion because there's so many applications (clothes, hairstyles, accessories, etc) and there are some some really cool ways to monetize it.

Juan Pimentel

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
248%
Jul 10, 2019
Mesa Arizona
I think what caught my attention on this one, was a fun app I downloaded (found on Product Hunt) called "Face Off." It was a similar idea, but it was way more simple and just helped you pick which profile picture was better, for Facebook. It was strangely addictive, and was really cool to get feedback that would surprise you sometimes. And then, everybody remembers the "Hot or Not" website...

I decided to apply it to fashion because there's so many applications (clothes, hairstyles, accessories, etc) and there are some some really cool ways to monetize it.
I would use that! Are you familiar with teachingmanfasion youtube channel? Jose has been teach how to dress and now has his own clothing line. I mentioned this because there’s a lot of potential when it come to helping people dress especially men. A app that helps you see your self would out beat a youtube guy

floridaman

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Dec 28, 2018
Orlando, FL
I would use that! Are you familiar with teachingmanfasion youtube channel? Jose has been teach how to dress and now has his own clothing line. I mentioned this because there’s a lot of potential when it come to helping people dress especially men. A app that helps you see your self would out beat a youtube guy

I have not heard of this lad, I'll check him out, thanks. I have heard of the "Real Men Real Style" channel, which I loved. Real Men Real Style . Getting somebody like this on board as an equity partner would be interesting.

The thing about fashion is there's so many small nuances, everybody has different body types, and without having an actual stylist, it's tough to get real timely and HONEST feedback.

Also, Amazon was attempting to solve this problem in their own way:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X_fP4pPWPw
. Interesting solution, but we're not quite there yet w/ the machine learning. Plus fashion is a very creative and cyclical thing, it's hard to substitute humans on this one.

People are already doing what this app does manually, by trying to decide themselves, or texting a friend (or a couple friends). Why not create a system/social platform that delivers that valuable feedback quicker (using technology), and with more accuracy (using crowd sourcing). QUICK, and ACCURATE are the keys here.

I could see tens of thousands of users on a platform like this trying to hone in on their best "look," just like people try and improve their Tinder/Bumble profiles, or their ad creatives.

inputchip

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
409%
Mar 26, 2017
www.tmkings.com
I think the idea is OK, but I would be absolutely worried that Insta/FB will wipe you out with a simple feature update.

Instagram already has voting systems in their stories, which I see a lot of people use to make decisions. Facebook already has "looking for recommendations" and poll tools.

Obviously it's not the exact same, but I would personally never build a business that could be squashed with a simple feature update from one of the big guys.

I would also be wary of all the AI and machine learning tools coming out that help people choose what to wear. I would rather make an inventory of my clothes and have a designer just pick the outfit for me. I don't want to have to try things on and take pictures every time.

floridaman

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Dec 28, 2018
Orlando, FL
I think the idea is OK, but I would be absolutely worried that Insta/FB will wipe you out with a simple feature update.

Instagram already has voting systems in their stories, which I see a lot of people use to make decisions. Facebook already has "looking for recommendations" and poll tools.

Obviously it's not the exact same, but I would personally never build a business that could be squashed with a simple feature update from one of the big guys.

I would also be wary of all the AI and machine learning tools coming out that help people choose what to wear. I would rather make an inventory of my clothes and have a designer just pick the outfit for me. I don't want to have to try things on and take pictures every time.

I get what you’re saying about the feature update on IG/FB, but something like that would only happen if they saw some SERIOUS value in it. And by that point, I could possibly exit early. Or be profiting by then at least. Snapchat was a billion dollar company when they copied them. I don’t see that being a problem, and if everybody had that concern, nobody would start a tech company. Also, it’s a PLUS that IG is using a vote function because it validates the use of crowdsourcing.

An issue that I noticed with picking out clothes is fit, and how the outfit works together with the other items, along with your body shape, skin tone, etc. You have to have a human eye examine it. And to hire an actual fashion expert isn’t cheap. My platform would be free. The users of the “interest network” solve problems for each other. It’s like a car forum where all the users are helping each other because they share a common goal and interest.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.