About five years ago, a friend recommended Unscripted to me. I won't say it changed my life the day I read it—but it stuck with me. The words echoed in my mind constantly, even as I kept making excuses: I need a paycheck. Health insurance. What if I fail?
Four years ago, I filed for an LLC. It made $0 in its first year. I didn’t even pay the annual fees and had to refile.
But one part of Unscripted really stayed with me: the story of the dog. MJ tells of a man who sees a dog lying on a nail, whimpering. When he asks why the dog doesn’t move, the owner says, “I guess it doesn’t hurt bad enough.” That was me for most of my adult life—full of entrepreneurial ideas but too comfortable (or scared) to act on them.
Three years ago, my LLC started making side income. Last year, I began taking it seriously. Now, this year, I’m no longer a W2 employee. I’m fully self-employed and crossed six figures—all from just three clients.
It’s not a sexy SaaS yet (that’s still the goal), but it’s a service-based business that leverages what I know. MJ’s advice about starting with what you’re good at—even if it’s not glamorous—really resonated. He knew the limo business and used it to build something bigger. I’m doing the same, and now that revenue is consistent, I’m actively exploring some SaaS ideas I’ve been sitting on.
As a long-time lurker, it feels damn good to finally say: I’m no longer a W2 employee.
Four years ago, I filed for an LLC. It made $0 in its first year. I didn’t even pay the annual fees and had to refile.
But one part of Unscripted really stayed with me: the story of the dog. MJ tells of a man who sees a dog lying on a nail, whimpering. When he asks why the dog doesn’t move, the owner says, “I guess it doesn’t hurt bad enough.” That was me for most of my adult life—full of entrepreneurial ideas but too comfortable (or scared) to act on them.
Three years ago, my LLC started making side income. Last year, I began taking it seriously. Now, this year, I’m no longer a W2 employee. I’m fully self-employed and crossed six figures—all from just three clients.
It’s not a sexy SaaS yet (that’s still the goal), but it’s a service-based business that leverages what I know. MJ’s advice about starting with what you’re good at—even if it’s not glamorous—really resonated. He knew the limo business and used it to build something bigger. I’m doing the same, and now that revenue is consistent, I’m actively exploring some SaaS ideas I’ve been sitting on.
As a long-time lurker, it feels damn good to finally say: I’m no longer a W2 employee.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
