The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Light Commercial Development - Seeking Advice

Rich Wood

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jun 17, 2018
Salt Lake City, UT
New Contributor - Hope to collaborate with true professionals.

I am looking for ideas in developing a light commercial park (4-6 buildings) on a 3-4 acre site.

Has anyone done this before? What % of the site should be dedicated to the buildings, common grounds, and shared space.

I will seek trade professionals (plumbers, electricians, cabinet work, tile, metal works, roofers) for each of the spaces.

We have lack of these buildings in our area and the demand is high.

What size would be best for each property, I'm thinking 8,000 sq feet shop space, two overhead doors, and 2,000 sq feet office space.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Make sure to get at least two common docks that everyone can share.

I'm looking forward to reading your progress.

Rich Wood

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jun 17, 2018
Salt Lake City, UT
A couple more updates for the team.
I've found a parcel - $950k.
Spoke to the city planner and they are supportive of the idea.
Working on the financials, and the plot layout of the property.
Will likely be fundraising soon (my capital + others). Have two banks in mind for the debt financing.
I'm working through the finer details, but hope to have the plan, capital in place by fall, and have secured the land - possibly working with the land-owner to get in on the deal.
To be continued..

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BrandonS85

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
378%
Sep 8, 2015
Ohio USA
A few guys have done this in my area, they've been extremely profitable, however in his case he's renting out glorified, finished pole barns (Metal exteriors, pole frame construction, slab foundations, and so on). They've seen some absolutely awesome rent increases in the past 10 years, going from median rents of ~$700/mo to $1,500+ due to higher appeal and decreased utility expenses from the new construction as much of the town's commercial spaces are extremely old.

It's a good idea, if I had a few million to deploy i'd certainly consider it.

G

Guest3722A

A few guys have done this in my area, they've been extremely profitable, however in his case he's renting out glorified, finished pole barns (Metal exteriors, pole frame construction, slab foundations, and so on). They've seen some absolutely awesome rent increases in the past 10 years, going from median rents of ~$700/mo to $1,500+ due to higher appeal and decreased utility expenses from the new construction
Interesting. Thanks for mentioning this.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.