1DON2
PARKED
Hi folks,
New member here, looks like a pretty interesting place to be. Wanted to say hello and see if I could get any useful advice.
I am a 29 year old computer programmer from Boulder, CO. I enjoy my job but needless to say I'd rather be doing my own thing.
So, that is hopefully where you come in... A couple of months ago I inherited a little more than $300k. I want to quit my job and focus on a startup project that I've been contemplating for awhile, creating and selling business optimization software for solar energy and wind farms.
I need about $50k a year to cover my living expenses and bills. I want to take the $300k and turn it into a passive revenue stream while I work on my project. Ideally the revenue stream would net at least 50k a year (which seems impossible to me since that's basically a 17% yearly return in perpetuity). I know, I could simply quit and use the money to live on for 6 years, but to me that is taking on a little too much risk since I have a wife and kids that count on me, and besides, it just doesn't seem like fastlane thinking. If I can turn it into a revenue stream, then at the end of 6 years I can still have the 300k.
I'm not looking for a get-rich-quick scheme, just looking to leverage this money to allow me to pursue my entrepreneurial spirit full-time.
Any ideas on the best way to turn this kind of money into a 50k a year revenue stream? Anyone done anything similar? Anyone willing to mentor me through the process?
Appreciate any input, and hello to you all!
New member here, looks like a pretty interesting place to be. Wanted to say hello and see if I could get any useful advice.
I am a 29 year old computer programmer from Boulder, CO. I enjoy my job but needless to say I'd rather be doing my own thing.
So, that is hopefully where you come in... A couple of months ago I inherited a little more than $300k. I want to quit my job and focus on a startup project that I've been contemplating for awhile, creating and selling business optimization software for solar energy and wind farms.
I need about $50k a year to cover my living expenses and bills. I want to take the $300k and turn it into a passive revenue stream while I work on my project. Ideally the revenue stream would net at least 50k a year (which seems impossible to me since that's basically a 17% yearly return in perpetuity). I know, I could simply quit and use the money to live on for 6 years, but to me that is taking on a little too much risk since I have a wife and kids that count on me, and besides, it just doesn't seem like fastlane thinking. If I can turn it into a revenue stream, then at the end of 6 years I can still have the 300k.
I'm not looking for a get-rich-quick scheme, just looking to leverage this money to allow me to pursue my entrepreneurial spirit full-time.
Any ideas on the best way to turn this kind of money into a 50k a year revenue stream? Anyone done anything similar? Anyone willing to mentor me through the process?
Appreciate any input, and hello to you all!
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
