The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Let us Define Marketing

Marketing, social media, advertising
A

Anon3587x

"One of my companies sold a product that thousands of companies all over the world had sold for decades when I started. I just decided to market it a different way, and within two years had the largest company in the world. The second largest company had been around for more than 25 years at the time."

-Peter2

Has anyone around here had success just "marketing" a old product in a new way?
Can any of you add some personal input to that thought?

Currently I'm working on creating a need, putting a spin on something old and marketing it differently. Making a new use for something.

I suppose this is what Peter2 meant when he said "I just decided to market it a different way"

I want to have a better thought in my head about marketing and exactly what it is.

I want this thread to help everybody understand marketing better as in the context Peter2 used it in.

So if you can add to the beast then please do so.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

WestCoast

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Jan 20, 2008
Rhode Island for now.
Marketing = product, price, place, promotion. At least as they taught in business school....

Most people equate 'Marketing' with promotion, but it's more than that.

--
In this case, the inference is that Peter2 has an identical product, at an identical price, with the same distribution channels as his competitors and his only differentiation is his promotion.

I hardly doubt that is true.

Maybe his inference is his distribution was the difference, that's possible here too.

Either way:

Success usually comes from at least a partial mix of all aspects of marketing (I'm entirely ignores operations, financial and management in this context). Not just ONE

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I have done this a few times, but I don't really want to get my specifics. Why would you doubt that this is true???

How many times was the Snuggie sold before it was called a Snuggie, over 5 times!!! People tried to sell the same product years and years before but never did...

Have your heard of this??? It ain't a Snuggie.

2.jpg

A

Anon3587x

Basically he means same product with a different name and better advertising?

This is what I originally thought but I was sure there had to be more to it.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Yeah you can do that with pretty much anything that is indistinguishable as a product. Slap a sticker or stamp a logo on it.

A

Anon3587x

Yeah you can do that with pretty much anything that is indistinguishable as a product. Slap a sticker or stamp a logo on it.

This reminds me of something I heard when I was riding a bus in Las Vegas.

These two guys were talking about how ridiculous patents are. One of the two claimed he had invented something in which was stolen from him because the son of a bitch who took it "put green hair around the sides and named it something else"

lol

exon

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jun 29, 2009
Croatia
This is best and quickest way to make some money.

In my city is a factory that produces alcoholic beverages. It is very big and old factory. One of their most famous product is vodka. It is interesting that the factory is now facing bankruptcy, workers do not receive salaries for several months.

I study them for several years now and the main problems they are facing are highly un-motivated and unprofessional executives and managers. They don't even trying to sell their products. There is no marketing campaigns, no website, anything - they are living on old glory.

Instead of working on the sale of their products and marketing, they invest all their efforts (and money) in getting help from the government funds. They managed a couple of times so far. Now the government said that there is no more help because they help them so far with few millions and they are again in great debt.

I think this is a very good opportunity to do something similar. They already have an excellent product that can be "market a different way".

In this case I would do something like this:

1) create a board of motivated directors and managers
2) create a team of marketing experts
3) new bottle and label desing with new name
4) export products arround the world
5) create good conditions for the buyers so that they can make good money (better than with competitors)

Execution is a thousand times more important than a 'great idea'...if execution is perfect, it sometimes barely matters what the idea is.

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada
I have done this a few times, but I don't really want to get my specifics. Why would you doubt that this is true???

How many times was the Snuggie sold before it was called a Snuggie, over 5 times!!! People tried to sell the same product years and years before but never did...

Have your heard of this??? It ain't a Snuggie.

2.jpg

I would have tried marketing that in a way that drives it towards being more socially acceptable... Prettymuch everyone I know who sees the snuggie commercial comments about it in a way like "Who the hell would wear that?!" ... And you just know it's because they don't think it's stylish / will get you made fun of.

"1) create a board of motivated directors and managers
2) create a team of marketing experts
3) new bottle and label desing with new name
4) export products arround the world
5) create good conditions for the buyers so that they can make good money (better than with competitors)"

6) Re-release the old style bottle and label later, and call it 'classic'!
But yeah, you have a very good point there. Being complacent/unmotivated is a sure path to failure.

A

Anon3587x

Example:

HELLO AMERICA HOW WOULD YOU LIKE TO BECOME A GOD!?!
THIS WATER WAS BOTTLED FROM THE TOP OF MOUNT OLYMPUS BOILED BY THE VOLCANO LAVA!

YOU WILL GROW a$$ HAIRS OF GOLD AFTER YOU DRINK OUR SOUL WATER!

Only 9.95! Get your Soul Water TODAY!

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada
Bat, you asked for it!
[video=youtube;Tbxq0IDqD04]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbxq0IDqD04[/video]

^ That is actually great advertisement.

Last edited:

jeffs

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Aug 18, 2010
A great example of this is Glaceau Smart Water (acquired by Coca-Cola). The founder took a thousand year old idea and created a great package and added some flavor to the water, while targeting a health conscious, active audience. Eventually, the brand created a flavor water movement. In my opinion, the product and smart targeting strategy lead to a successful marketing campaign

CVentures1B12

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Oct 18, 2007
Richmond, VA
I love marketing. I think, though, that marketing is really tough to define because, in my opinion, any aspect of business can contribute to a marketing message. Great customer service helps to get the word around. Rebates, promotions and coupons are obvious marketing tools, but I think that marketing is an art.

Regardless of what the exact definition is, I think that the greatest marketers are people who can see where the customers are, go there and capture that audience whether it be by appealing to their identity or just telling a cool story. The method isn't as important as being able to see the customers, go there and capture them. Sounds simple...much easier said than done.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.