Thought I’d share this story as it altered the course of my life and shattered limiting beliefs...not a FTE but similar.
I was 29 years old at the time working as the head professional of a private golf club. I’m standing on the first tee of a busy morning when one of our members who at the time (2014) was the 4th richest person in the world asks “Can we go?” Him knowing full well it was their tee time. I looked down the fairway turned backed to him and with all the confidence I could muster as I prepared to get yelled at said “No”. His reaction? He turned around and kept putting until I told him to go.
The first and more minor point of all this...control. He wanted something at a certain time that I controlled, and he had to wait for me. No amount of money in the bank was going to get him there any quicker.
Secondly, I came to the realization that he wasn’t special. Much like the celebrity hyper-realities that MJ talks about, so many of us feel the same about these titans of industry and world leaders. The reality is, they are no different than you and me. If you have a product, a service, an idea that can be of benefit, do not shy away from the big fish. If you control it, they will want it and you get to decide when and for how much.
I spent so much of my life believing these people were somehow special, never heard the word “no”, and got what they want when they wanted it. They don’t. They’re normal people who created long term plans coupled with processes to achieve those plans. Then worked their asses off until it was done. That is why they are on one side of the counter at the $200,000 country club and others are behind the counter working the register.
Hope this inspires some of you to change sides of the counter you’re on like it did for me.
I was 29 years old at the time working as the head professional of a private golf club. I’m standing on the first tee of a busy morning when one of our members who at the time (2014) was the 4th richest person in the world asks “Can we go?” Him knowing full well it was their tee time. I looked down the fairway turned backed to him and with all the confidence I could muster as I prepared to get yelled at said “No”. His reaction? He turned around and kept putting until I told him to go.
The first and more minor point of all this...control. He wanted something at a certain time that I controlled, and he had to wait for me. No amount of money in the bank was going to get him there any quicker.
Secondly, I came to the realization that he wasn’t special. Much like the celebrity hyper-realities that MJ talks about, so many of us feel the same about these titans of industry and world leaders. The reality is, they are no different than you and me. If you have a product, a service, an idea that can be of benefit, do not shy away from the big fish. If you control it, they will want it and you get to decide when and for how much.
I spent so much of my life believing these people were somehow special, never heard the word “no”, and got what they want when they wanted it. They don’t. They’re normal people who created long term plans coupled with processes to achieve those plans. Then worked their asses off until it was done. That is why they are on one side of the counter at the $200,000 country club and others are behind the counter working the register.
Hope this inspires some of you to change sides of the counter you’re on like it did for me.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
