- Joined
- Aug 3, 2015
- Messages
- 73
Rep Bank
$605
$605
User Power: 175%
Hey all,
I've started a logo design service using freelance designers from upwork that I've formed relationships with. I act as a design agent - generate leads, manage orders and then outsource the design work. I've found a market with high demand and I've been getting great feedback and plenty of orders.
One person who saw my post in a particular FB Group had this to say:
"A quick word of warning if you will indulge me. If the brands you create become successful as I hope they do, please make sure the logos, icons, and packaging designs don't infringe on a existing brands ip or trademarks, especially within your sector! I've seen it happen a few times, where start ups hire a freelancer from the web from another country who copies or takes influence from something they have seen somewhere and bam! Very frightening letters from legal departments ruins the brand before they reach their potential. As a design agent this can leave you liable and holding a very ugly baby. So please be careful."
My question is, how can I protect myself from any possible legal issues arising in the future from logos I have produced for my clients?
Also, are there any ways I can research Trademarks etc. before hand to ensure no designs I provide are breaching anyone's IP?
I have a lot of ideas for expansion so I can increase revenue and eventually hire somebody to manage the orders & clients so I can grow the business, but I really want to get on top of this issue first.
Thanks,
Snappy
I've started a logo design service using freelance designers from upwork that I've formed relationships with. I act as a design agent - generate leads, manage orders and then outsource the design work. I've found a market with high demand and I've been getting great feedback and plenty of orders.
One person who saw my post in a particular FB Group had this to say:
"A quick word of warning if you will indulge me. If the brands you create become successful as I hope they do, please make sure the logos, icons, and packaging designs don't infringe on a existing brands ip or trademarks, especially within your sector! I've seen it happen a few times, where start ups hire a freelancer from the web from another country who copies or takes influence from something they have seen somewhere and bam! Very frightening letters from legal departments ruins the brand before they reach their potential. As a design agent this can leave you liable and holding a very ugly baby. So please be careful."
My question is, how can I protect myself from any possible legal issues arising in the future from logos I have produced for my clients?
Also, are there any ways I can research Trademarks etc. before hand to ensure no designs I provide are breaching anyone's IP?
I have a lot of ideas for expansion so I can increase revenue and eventually hire somebody to manage the orders & clients so I can grow the business, but I really want to get on top of this issue first.
Thanks,
Snappy
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
