The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Learn to Code or Drag and Drop?

A topic related to SAAS or APPs

OkLetsGo

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Dec 14, 2022
What is your opinion when wanting to build an app or website? Should you learn how to code so that you understand and have complete control of your application (Control-E-N-T-S, if you know you know)? or should you skip the learning how to code part mostly to just start with the advertising of your application since building with a drag-and-drop interface should be fairly faster?

What do you guys think? Your honest opinions would mean the world to me.

Best Regards,

Sam

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Learning to code could take years, if you can seriously do the app with drag and drop and you can start making money on it, I would do that.

Stan_

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Apr 25, 2022
Basically if your website will be mostly about displaying information (list of courses, list of products, blogs etc.) the drag and drop will suffice.
but drag and drop really drops down if :
-you actually have a web APP (as in actual software like utilities) (figma, canva etc.)
-you want to add some custom thing that's not easily found in a plugin .
-you need it to be FAST

Don't take the bad advice that you can somehow build anything on Wordpress.

OkLetsGo

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Dec 14, 2022
Basically if your website will be mostly about displaying information (list of courses, list of products, blogs etc.) the drag and drop will suffice.
but drag and drop really drops down if :
-you actually have a web APP (as in actual software like utilities) (figma, canva etc.)
-you want to add some custom thing that's not easily found in a plugin .
-you need it to be FAST

Don't take the bad advice that you can somehow build anything on Wordpress.
thank you!

Let's say the app is like a forum, meaning people should be able to post and read messages and upload photos. Would this already run slowly when using a drag-and-drop solution?

Im also convinced that I would be able to code any kind of custom thing myself using Ai ,since I already build a Website before intergrating Ai with no knowledge of coding whatsoever.

So when going for a proffesional and fast app I should code it myself then? Also how is it with a dashboard then, I know that for drag and drop options they offer dashboards showing you data of you app and users.

Thanks for the advice so far!

Stan_

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Apr 25, 2022
thank you!

Let's say the app is like a forum, meaning people should be able to post and read messages and upload photos. Would this already run slowly when using a drag-and-drop solution?

Im also convinced that I would be able to code any kind of custom thing myself using Ai ,since I already build a Website before intergrating Ai with no knowledge of coding whatsoever.

So when going for a proffesional and fast app I should code it myself then? Also how is it with a dashboard then, I know that for drag and drop options they offer dashboards showing you data of you app and users.

Thanks for the advice so far!
Well it will certainly run slower (also be more expensive + scale worse) compared to manual coding but it sounds possible using things like Wordpress. It will probably run fine . SEO will be worse but a good site will always beat a fast site.

I'd say take 3 days, try to build something working on Wordpress / whatever tool you're using and if you run into slowness, 1000 plugins stitched together or just a missing critical feature then yeah it will need to be written manually.

You can easily collect and see data about your app and users through a built in app. There are a bunch of services that can take in your data and display it cleanly if you write it manually.

Trismigistus

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Sep 5, 2023
I try to model my activities to MJ as closely as I can. If he spent the time to learn coding, then so will I. I dont think he had wordpress and all that back then so maybe he woulda went a different route. But seems like he tried to do as much on his own as possible, doesnt seem like dude would have used wordpress even if it was avail, because its essentially hitch hiking, sites like wordpress have a degree of control over you in these situations if you use their service.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Sep 11, 2018
Are you building a SaaS? Then learn how to code.

Are you building a mainly static website? Then learn drag & drop.

Bence Ur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 24, 2023
What is your opinion when wanting to build an app or website?
App vs website could be vastly different from each other.
For example you can easily hack together a WordPress site without coding knowledge.

Complex Saas without coding knowledge? Not so much.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
632%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
You can do some decent stuff with wordpress.

You can build some AWESOME stuff using Adalo as a no code app builder.

You can do some WILD stuff when you combine a Wordpress site, which links to an Adalo app, that uses api automations connected with make.com on the backend.

I’ve done it myself.

Our customers have their own custom portal. Our employees have their own custom portal on their side. I have some super cool things setup using automations, embedded forms, shared databases, our app, etc.

You can absolutely build high end stuff easily with all of the options available nowadays.

This is what I’m great at. Systems. This is what people call me and ask for advice about with their own businesses, and it’s what I like to do. I spend the bulk of my time working on these systems for my own business and it really is powerful when you use these things to their potential and you understand them.

theazizmoh_

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Apr 29, 2022
What is your opinion when wanting to build an app or website? Should you learn how to code so that you understand and have complete control of your application (Control-E-N-T-S, if you know you know)? or should you skip the learning how to code part mostly to just start with the advertising of your application since building with a drag-and-drop interface should be fairly faster?

Best Regards,

Best Regards,

You can do some decent stuff with wordpress.

You can build some AWESOME stuff using Adalo as a no code app builder.

You can do some WILD stuff when you combine a Wordpress site, which links to an Adalo app, that uses api automations connected with make.com on the backend.

I’ve done it myself.

Our customers have their own custom portal. Our employees have their own custom portal on their side. I have some super cool things setup using automations, embedded forms, shared databases, our app, etc.

You can absolutely build high end stuff easily with all of the options available nowadays.

This is what I’m great at. Systems. This is what people call me and ask for advice about with their own businesses, and it’s what I like to do. I spend the bulk of my time working on these systems for my own business and it really is powerful when you use these things to their potential and you understand them

Best Regards,

Sam
It depends on what are you trying to build.

Landing page? Webflow or wordpress
SaaS apps? You could build it with a no-code tool like bubble.io or go just with javascript + jquery + php for backend if you're a beginner level

Learn how to code whilst building your app idea.

Stuck on a problem? Chatgpt it or Google.

Trust me you gonna learn alot more while building!

SeanLewis

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
330%
Aug 7, 2019
Sweden
Speaking as someone who did learn to code and have built multiple Saas businesses in the past couple of years. You probably shouldnt pursue a software idea if you can't code and/or don't have a technical co-founder.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.