I am obviously new here but have a few questions about lead generation businesses that perhaps some of the more experienced folks can help me with.
1. How do you like to go about your research on deciding what could be a good lead generation business? I have started by looking at general search numbers for broad keywords and more local ones. I also take a look at the number of ads that are showing for these keywords that pertain to specific businesses in that niche. I also look to see how many competitor type sites are in the niche. What other things do you look for to see if a niche could be a good choice?
2. In MJ's interview with mixergy, he talks about spending money in what would now be Google Adwords ($20,000 a month) to help solicit businesses to sign-up for his directory service which he later shifted to a lead generation service. For those who are doing lead generation, how do you solicit new businesses to join? Would you recommend using PPC in a similar fashion or have you found better results with using Facebook or even a more direct method like emailing/cold calling these businesses? I have read some posts where some folks have had trouble getting people to signup for various reasons. How did you folks start to get the ball rolling? Start local with even face to face meetings?
3. A couple of other words or acronymns that I am not familiar with that were used in that interview: "beak to beak" and "CFO" I have included them with their sentences to give them some context but would like to know their meaning if anyone here knows?
Andrew: There was no Google at the time, but you’re saying you were buying ads from Goto from Overture, right? Okay, so they would do a search, the limo companies, they see your ad, they’d click it, they’d come to your website. Your website would make the sale, and at the end of the sale, they’d be in your directory, and that’s where the revenue came from?
MJ: Yes, technically I was beak to beak because limousine companies were my revenue sources. Although my target … excuse me?
and
MJ: That was just through simple Internet searches. I did a lot of FCO. I learned that all on my own. Advertising, marketing through … you know, it seems to go through a phase. Back then, it was Goto, then it was Overture, then it moved to Yahoo then it moved to Google, and nowadays it’s Facebook. So I believe, you know, you have to monetize the big property, otherwise you’ll never, you know, you’ll never grow.
I have plenty of other questions but am feeling a little guilty about the length and the simplicity of my questions. If you guys have any other books, resources, or forums that you would recommend to help a newbie looking into lead generation businesses, please let me know. I really value any help you guys can give me but don't want to waste your time with other basic questions I can maybe find elsewhere.
1. How do you like to go about your research on deciding what could be a good lead generation business? I have started by looking at general search numbers for broad keywords and more local ones. I also take a look at the number of ads that are showing for these keywords that pertain to specific businesses in that niche. I also look to see how many competitor type sites are in the niche. What other things do you look for to see if a niche could be a good choice?
2. In MJ's interview with mixergy, he talks about spending money in what would now be Google Adwords ($20,000 a month) to help solicit businesses to sign-up for his directory service which he later shifted to a lead generation service. For those who are doing lead generation, how do you solicit new businesses to join? Would you recommend using PPC in a similar fashion or have you found better results with using Facebook or even a more direct method like emailing/cold calling these businesses? I have read some posts where some folks have had trouble getting people to signup for various reasons. How did you folks start to get the ball rolling? Start local with even face to face meetings?
3. A couple of other words or acronymns that I am not familiar with that were used in that interview: "beak to beak" and "CFO" I have included them with their sentences to give them some context but would like to know their meaning if anyone here knows?
Andrew: There was no Google at the time, but you’re saying you were buying ads from Goto from Overture, right? Okay, so they would do a search, the limo companies, they see your ad, they’d click it, they’d come to your website. Your website would make the sale, and at the end of the sale, they’d be in your directory, and that’s where the revenue came from?
MJ: Yes, technically I was beak to beak because limousine companies were my revenue sources. Although my target … excuse me?
and
MJ: That was just through simple Internet searches. I did a lot of FCO. I learned that all on my own. Advertising, marketing through … you know, it seems to go through a phase. Back then, it was Goto, then it was Overture, then it moved to Yahoo then it moved to Google, and nowadays it’s Facebook. So I believe, you know, you have to monetize the big property, otherwise you’ll never, you know, you’ll never grow.
I have plenty of other questions but am feeling a little guilty about the length and the simplicity of my questions. If you guys have any other books, resources, or forums that you would recommend to help a newbie looking into lead generation businesses, please let me know. I really value any help you guys can give me but don't want to waste your time with other basic questions I can maybe find elsewhere.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
