The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lawyers Niche: Expiring Legal Documents

ClintonSkakun

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Mar 26, 2011
D
Want to get in front of some lawyers and ask about this situation: How big a pain are expiring documents in your law practice. I ran into this problem with my lawyer. He said he should have told me that my passport expired (which I need to get my visa in a few months).

Here's an idea I have to combat this type of problem:
http://try.moveelo.com/expiryalerts/

Let me know your thoughts!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
This reminds me of a conversation with our CPA years ago.

"Do you remind your clients when their estimated taxes are due?"

"No, that's their responsibility."

That didn't seem like the right answer to me. I replaced her when our taxes became more complicated than her abilities.
Anyway, it might not just be lawyers.

ClintonSkakun

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Mar 26, 2011
D
This reminds me of a conversation with our CPA years ago.

"Do you remind your clients when their estimated taxes are due?"

"No, that's their responsibility."

That didn't seem like the right answer to me. I replaced her when our taxes became more complicated than her abilities.
Anyway, it might not just be lawyers.
I'm hoping that some lawyers might want to go the extra mile. Or, even resell it as their own service. That's mainly what I need to test here.

Esquire

Divorce Shark
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Oct 13, 2012
Connecticut
Aside from judgments ... I can think of few (if any) "legal documents" that "expire" (or, at the very least, nothing that comes to my mind).

Most lawyers have calendering software for upcoming deadlines (as relates to clients legal matters) ... if there was something that "needed" to get done ... I am fairly certain it would appear there. A judgment renewal would almost certainly get calendared there if there is an attorney-client relationship as relates to debt collection.

I can't imagine (for the life of me) why a "lawyer" would be responsible for reminding you to update your passport. Makes no sense. Is the lawyer also responsible for reminding you to renew your driver's license too ...? Seems like the same sort of thing. Not something you hire a lawyer to do.

So no ... not something I would buy ... or even give the time of day if I saw an ad or article about it.

In fact ... when I clicked on the link ... and saw the prices ... the first thing that I thought was ... are they f'n nuts ...?

Who would pay those kind of prices for reminders ...? Not me ... that's for damn sure.

Nothing wrong with asking ... but you can put this lawyer down for "hell no."

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PSK

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Oct 18, 2013
UK
Speaking from a top 20 UK law firm, I don't really encounter issues such as this.

I am aware that we do have systems in place (e.g. lease renewal dates, key contract dates, etc) to pick up important dates in relation to contracts. If there is something majorly important, I would also diarise in Outlook (although this isn't foolproof, as people leave firm, etc).

ClintonSkakun

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Mar 26, 2011
D
Thanks for the feedback guys. Great hearing from people working daily in the industry. Happy I didn't "just build it".

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.