The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Late Intro

D

Deleted19242

Hi everyone, I first registered when I finished TMF a couple years ago. Many things in the book resonated with me at the time, though I was still living at home working retail making peanuts. I put my fastlane plans on hold to acquire a bit of capital first.

Hearing about the boom in Alberta I packed my bags and got into a trade. Alberta was difficult for me, I never felt like I belonged. Coming from a big city in BC it seemed as if I had gone back a couple decades and the winters were harsh. My plan was to finish my apprenticeship, join the union and work up north for months then take a lengthy vacation to start a business. The was when oil was high and jobs were plenty.

Well it came crashing down shortly after and although I had a job in town, I was laid off when construction completed. I decided to finish the rest of my trade school during this time. I found a job up north after I finished and made good money, but was promptly laid off after 1 month along with 100s of others. Most big projects were starting wrapping up too.

I had just re-read TMF again. What the hell happened to me? I feel as if I had taken a big detour in the slowlane and the fastlane is millions of miles away. I had spent the past 4-5 years listening to people telling me what to do that I had lost all direction and creativity. Sometimes I'd spent months on end just doing the same task over and over, but I'd justify it by telling myself I was earning "hours" towards my apprenticeship. Welp those "hours", more like my life, are not coming back. When I was working up north I would see old tradesmen with a bad shoulder, bad back, bad hip, and/or bad knees. Our welder would start the day walking with a slight limp and by the end of the day he would just hobbling. He was taken to the hospital, last I heard he was doing well.

I am now back at home, where I wanted leave in the first place. It's nice living rent-free, but I need my independence. I'm thinking of taking most of my TFSA out and leaving for somewhere warm when winter comes. I don't know what I'll be doing but it'll probably be something web related, I've been dabbling in web development on and off. I have lessons on freecodecamp I can go back to and continue. Gotta learn skills and take massive action.

I'm nervous, I don't know how things are going to turn out. Apprenticeships have a defined path - go to school for a bit then go back to work, repeat. This fastlane stuff I'm not too confident myself, sounds like I'll be throwing a bunch of stuff on the wall and see what sticks. But it sure beats a life of mediocrity. Maybe I've been playing too safe all along, maybe I need to take more risks. I'll take this risk.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...